A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF!?! My D3 barely started after sitting a day and with a brand new battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!?! My D3 barely started after sitting a day and with a brand new battery

Well I just went out and started the D3 in the garage and I had the radio and stuff playing for a few minutes and had the system will shut down if the engine is not started in 3 minutes. I try to start it and nothing and the lights were dim and I kept trying like 3 times and after the fourth time it started cranking real slow and it started. I bought the battery from advance auto with a 3 yr replacement warranty for $113 with tax and exchange since the dealer tested my old battery to be bad when it failed a load test. There's no way I'm going to pay $207 plus tax for a dealer battery which only has 1 yr 12,000 mile free replacement. I know I didn't leave anything on to partially drain it.

What do you think could the problem be?? I hooked everything up on the battery like it should like factory. Does something else need to be programmed for it not to do that like VCDS?? Ok thank you.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would load test the new battery. It could be just a bad battery. I would eliminate the battery first.

It could also be a starter going bad. You said you tried a few times and nothing happened but then it cranked slowly and started.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Test the battery - measure the voltage - charge it to

see if it holds - It could be sitting for a long time and it's a bad battery. Does your car have any after market devices - Music player and such? Original Audi devices will turn off if not used, but the after market devices may not. Hope it's something simple.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just got the battery put in like 3 days ago and the car is bone stock with no add ons. The starter is fine because when I tried to crank the lights were dim and finally it kicked in and started. It is a 900CCA battery and a 1000CA I started up an hr or so ago and let it idle for almost an hour. I'm wondering if I left out a step by not reprogramming the battery possibly?? Maybe it doesn't have enough reserve capacity. I'm thinking I haven't driven it enough on the new battery and only put like 3-5 miles on it since then. The battery has been manufactured on 3/14.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take that lady for a long ride, get her going and charge her up. I think you haven't driven her enough.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Yes, 1. code the battery and 2. check a connection

1. Yes, you should code the battery to the car. You need VAG COM. If it isn't an Audi battery, the std. technique is to just increase the prior stored battery serial number by 1. Search archives as needed. The car will probably eventually figure it out if you don't code it, but without doing so your car charging system will behave as it would with your old battery. Thus, it may think your battery can't hold much juice still.

2. Make sure you hooked up the little wire that is attached to the positive lead right at the battery area. If you didn't, or the wire is (or got) broken, the charging system will act up.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
1. Yes, you should code the battery to the car. You need VAG COM. If it isn't an Audi battery, the std. technique is to just increase the prior stored battery serial number by 1. Search archives as needed. The car will probably eventually figure it out if you don't code it, but without doing so your car charging system will behave as it would with your old battery. Thus, it may think your battery can't hold much juice still.

2. Make sure you hooked up the little wire that is attached to the positive lead right at the battery area. If you didn't, or the wire is (or got) broken, the charging system will act up.
Well that wire on the positive terminal is hooked up so we can rule that out. When I change the serial number, do I change the last digit or first digit by 1?? Ok thanks. I'll try to drive it for a little bit this weekend since the weather should be nice and will give me a good excuse to drive it .
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k6greena8
I bought the battery from advance auto with a 3 yr replacement warranty for $113 with tax and exchange since the dealer tested my old battery to be bad when it failed a load test. There's no way I'm going to pay $207 plus tax for a dealer battery which only has 1 yr 12,000 mile free replacement.
The Audi battery that came in my car is huge. Bigger than the Suburban or Sequoia batteries. Just from physical size it is worth 207.00. An Interstate or other good quality battery will be 150.00.
I quit buying store brand batteries from Sam's, Walmart, Autozone, or Advanced. Several failed real early.
But either you need to drive the car and fully charge it up, or this is why you put a new battery in three days ago.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Just get a good battery charger and charge it

I got this <a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=as_sl_pd_tf_lc?tag=dognmonkey-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creati veASIN=B000BQSIWK&adid=0C7NC0AKW6YA7G0D7F4F&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dognmonkey.com%2Faudi%2Fup date-audi-mmi-3360-to-4610.html">battery charger</a> which can tell what % of the battery level. When the battery seems low, I just charge it with 2A for a few hours, when it shows 99%, I'd disconnect it.
My old original battery would last the whole week without driving and still starts without any problems.

Use DVM to check voltage of the battery

It should be a problem with a very simple solution.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-20-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I figured it out. I changed the serial number on the last digit by increasing it by 1. We will see what happens from here on out and my battery level meter should be a little more accurate with the change. I have always used advance auto batteries and I've never had problems with it except I had this mercury villager van for 3 yrs and for the last year I barely drove it and there were times when I had my tools in there and leave my hatch open and the lights stay on and the battery drains quicker because I barely drove it which is my own fault. I finally decided one day to warranty the battery out and they said it needs charged and I tried that and I knew the guys there and they hooked me up with a new battery free of charge. Other than that I've never had problems with them, I know those everstart batteries from Wal-Mart are garbage and usually last right at or right after the free replacement warranty.

Quick Reply: WTF!?! My D3 barely started after sitting a day and with a brand new battery