A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will XM radio module work in another Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will XM radio module work in another Audi?

I have an 05 A8 with XM radio, I might either trade in the vehicle or sell it. If I decide to get rid of the car, I will be getting another Audi, most likely an A6. Does anyone know if the XM module from my car work in an A6? Want to keep it because I have a lengthy subscription. Thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I think it should work since parts are interchangeable as long as the A6 has MMI 2G.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it will work. I recently switched the module from my 04 D3 to my 05 D3. As long as all the wires are there on the A6 you are good. The ones that doesn't have the XM, the MOST plug has a fiberoptic ring plugged in to it kinda like a electric outlet junction box in your house. All you have to do is unplug that ring and plug that MOST ring into your XM module and it will work like factory. Otherwise if you don't plug that ring in your other car that will get rid of the whole MMI shuts down and nothing will work. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default I'm more skeptical on this...

than the other replies. Within years of the D3 probably yes, and across from the D3 to the C6 A6 of the same era, more likely too. If you mean a new/current C7 A6 though (or a D4 for that matter), I have a lot more doubt.

There was actually a TSB Audi published on compatibility of the sat boxes for D3's years ago now. IIRC there is even some difference among model years in the connectors to the boxes, but those are more likely adaptable. I think the TSB dealt with the then current C6 as well.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This kind of fits with this thread. I recently purchased a used SAT radio from ebay that came out of a 2004 audi a8l (same as my car). I hooked it up in back and brought it up on my MMI. It stated i needed to update the channel list, then the MMI went dead. I could hear the speakers popping slightly and a clicking coming from the trunk. It almost sounded like the SAT radio was clicking on and off and couldn't stay on. Once I removed it from the loop my MMI came back. Blew on all the connections reconnected and the MMI worked but did not detect that there was SAT connected. So I just removed it completely. I am assuming a dead unit and requested a refund. Does this sound right or is there some trick when installing these things?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nick Conlon
This kind of fits with this thread. I recently purchased a used SAT radio from ebay that came out of a 2004 audi a8l (same as my car). I hooked it up in back and brought it up on my MMI. It stated i needed to update the channel list, then the MMI went dead. I could hear the speakers popping slightly and a clicking coming from the trunk. It almost sounded like the SAT radio was clicking on and off and couldn't stay on. Once I removed it from the loop my MMI came back. Blew on all the connections reconnected and the MMI worked but did not detect that there was SAT connected. So I just removed it completely. I am assuming a dead unit and requested a refund. Does this sound right or is there some trick when installing these things?
Well my 04 originally came with XM. When I bought my 05 it didn't have it. Since I'm going to sell my 04 and by it having XM, I took the module out of it and put it in my 05. Where the XM is supposed to be on my 05 there are a bundle of wire harnesses ziptied together so I undid them and on the MOST connector there is a MOST connector loop which is kinda like a cap off but there is a fiberoptics wire in that loop so there can be a connection. If you just simply leave it unplugged then the MMI will not work at all and it will do that clicking you are talking about.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah so with the cap off and the fiber optics plugged into the sat, with the mmi shutting off and popping it should mean that the sat is not closing that loop. In other words dead sat radio. I ahte returning things.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nick Conlon
yeah so with the cap off and the fiber optics plugged into the sat, with the mmi shutting off and popping it should mean that the sat is not closing that loop. In other words dead sat radio. I ahte returning things.
Well it's a possibility that they sent you a bad unit. Even if it's not active it still should close the loop and everything in the MMI should still work. Keep it disconnected means that there's a break in the loop and everything shuts down. Or you can try unplugging it and plugging it back in the module and reset your MMI by holding Telephone+ Middle Big button+ Upper right hand key at the same time to reboot it. Make sure the MOST connections are connected on the Nav drive and the AM/FM module which is were the XM module is supposed to be.