A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I buy a spare key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I buy a spare key?

Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2004 Audi A8L and was only given 1 key. I want to buy another key but don't know how to go about doing so. I went on Ebay & saw you can buy the blanks but didn't want to buy something that doesnt end up working.

Who can cut the key
How do you program the key

Cost associated?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

obvious answer-dealer. about $170 programmed
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Very expensive keys. Super expensive if you have the remote keyless entry. I would go to the dealer personally unless you can find the key online and just have them program it. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to go to the dealer. Even though you can buy the correct remote online, the key must be cut at the dealer and activated by the Germans. The dealer probably will not cut a blank from somewhere else. Not only is it expensive, it is a pain in the butt.

You will go to the dealer with the VIN, and the service guy will tell you to go to the parts department. The parts guy will tell you "we need the car and owner's card and ID to sell you the key." You drove your other car, so you will go back the next day with your owner's card and ID to the parts counter and buy the $80. key. Three days later they are supposed to call you to let you know you can come back and get it, but they won't do it. A week later you will call them, and they will tell you "yeah, we have it. come on in and pick it up." You will go there to pick it up and they will tell to go to the service department to get it programmed. You will go over to the service department and they will tell you "Oh, our Christmas party is starting in a half hour. Can you come back next week?" OK. You will come back next week and they will tell you that "you don't have an appointment, and we are booked until a week from Friday." You will make the appointment, bring the car back Friday, get a ride home, leave it all day, get a ride back, and be informed that it is $130. to program the $80. key. WTF!?

You will then proceed to get really indignant with the service manager, recounting the story about how it takes a month and four trips to get a key made. In my case they ended up programing it for free.

I did kinda feel bad when they brought the car around for me- they washed the car and vacuumed the inside, too. I guess that's standard dealer service.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$150 as I recall.

Dealer can program in under an hour.

EDIT: Dealer had it overnighted, went very smoothly.

Last edited by jakematic; 02-28-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DKONNI
Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2004 Audi A8L and was only given 1 key. I want to buy another key but don't know how to go about doing so. I went on Ebay & saw you can buy the blanks but didn't want to buy something that doesnt end up working.

Who can cut the key

Cost associated?
I have keyless go..
It was just north of $200 for key and programming from my Dealer.
They had to order the key, and I had it done while there for other warranty work.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=DKONNI;24268540]Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2004 Audi A8L and was only given 1 key. I want to buy another key but don't know how to go about doing so. I went on Ebay & saw you can buy the blanks but didn't want to buy something that doesnt end up working.

Who can cut the key

For my '04, key was $61.00 and 1/4 hour "labor"was another $37 bringing the total just over $100.00 with the opressive tax.

This was in December, 2005.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I am probably going to wait out getting a spare key until my 2nd Xenon headlight goes out. Because right now my Passenger healdight is out & I've been waiting for my other one to go out before I replace bc Service alone is $200+ to get into the headlamp. It's a 2004 & with my luck i'd get the xenon replaced & the other would go out a week later.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default FWIW on other cars:

All in with the parts and dealer programming, I have paid more for each of a Toyota Sienna minivan (needs both key and separate remote), a Smart and a Mini. Almost twice as much for the Mini actually, and that for a car that only will take two keys max if it has keyless access. Can get Toyota keys now from independent suppliers, but not the others. Can get Audi sidecut keys cut/duplicated at a decent locksmith, but only works on pre-2001 cars w/out the electronic key component.

Requiring driver's license and current registration is standard practice at all parts counters for these kinds of security keys, not some Audi specific run around.

Moves to reduce cost per key can include doing more than one (programming cost is often flat rate even if multiple keys), and to combine it w/ other services that also require programming--ECU/TCU reflashes for example if relevant under a TSB. Did the latter on the Mini to get a torque steer reduction tweak as a example.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-29-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

FYI, some Batteries+Plus locations duplicate and program the "Bell" type keys for domestic and some import vehicles. Currently limited to Japanese nameplates and no European vehicles because of the programming encryption. Maybe someday.

Quick Reply: Where do I buy a spare key?