A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel off centre after hitting curb

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel off centre after hitting curb

So last night I almost got T-Boned by a Van with no Lights on (it was dark) doing 10mph more than it should have been. I was pulling out of a side street which has terrible view as it is with cars parked right up to the corner of the street, I could see no lights shining from either direction so I edged out so I could actually see down the road I was turning on to, as soon as I could actually see down the road a Van with no lights on was heading straight for me at around 40mph (road is 30mph limit). So I either had the choice to slam my brakes on and him T-Bone me or try and get the hell out of the way by flooring it.... I chose the latter and floored it around the corner, I managed to hold it BUT my front left wheel hit the curb pretty hard resulting in this:

The Wheel is well and truly chewed up, it now pulls to the left and the wheel is now off centre in the arch.

The Wheel I'm not worried about as I have the unused spare in the boot but the off centre wheel is another matter, any ideas as to the damage? Tie Rod bent maybe?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The tie rod is most definitely bent based on your description. You will also want to check your ball joints and control arms. With a hit like that you may want to check both sides. I can't tell how far off things are based on the picture but if it is significant enough I would probably buy a control arm/tie rod kit and replace them all. After that, get a 4 wheel alignment and you should be good.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is very serious damage. First, don't drive it like that. It looks like lower links are bent, but it could be knuckle and connecting points on the sub frame. Hopefully not the body itself.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On second glance it does look much worse than I had thought. I didn't notice how far off it is front to rear. Hopefully it is just the control arms that are bent. I would actually take it to a body shop for evaluation. They can put it on their rack and take some measurements to see if anything has shifted. A mechanic would not be able to tell you that with the same degree of accuracy.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If checking on a jig is too expensive, if it was mine, I would replace all 8 arms and tie rods done with cheapo generic parts and then get an alignment done and see how that comes out. If bad, I would definately have it jigged.
Changing the parts should give plenty of oppurtunity for further inspection.
The cheapo parts will probably only last 18 months but at least you haven't blown $1600 on Lemforder parts only to find the space frame is bent.

Last edited by snapdragon; 12-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Great idea!!!

Originally Posted by snapdragon
If checking on a jig is too expensive, if it was mine, I would replace all 8 arms and tie rods done with cheapo generic parts and then get an alignment done and see how that comes out. If bad, I would definately have it jigged.
Changing the parts should give plenty of oppurtunity for further inspection.
The cheapo parts will probably only last 18 months but at least you haven't blown $1600 on Lemforder parts only to find the space frame is bent.
Do the body shop give free estimates and diagnostic on frame damage? If they do, try it first, if it cost money, your idea is great.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Take it to a dealer for diagnosis. $100.00 to $185.00 well spent.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your insurance company after you get an estimate. If it is not that expensive just pay for it but if it is going to get expensive let the insurance handle it. This is what what you pay high insurance fees for. Unless you have had claims in the past few years it should not be a big deal. Unless you have money to burn it is probably better to contact them.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 12-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok well my insurer has had it taken to an approved body shop, same ones that fixed my old original ur-quattro and they did a great job. They will inspect it and give me the estimate before doing anything, if it comes in at or under my excess it won't go through my insurance company which means I won't get an 'At Fault' against my policy. My excess is £850 so quite high, I'm hoping it will come in under that, if need be I will just say forget about the mashed wheel, I have the unused spare in the boot, just swap the tyres over and put the spare on. I'll just get a second hand one from eBay to refurb and stick back in the boot.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Figured I might as well update.

Had it back a couple weeks now actually and sooooo glad! Courtesy car was a 1.2 Chevy Spark! I found myself rocking back and forth trying to make it go faster!

They had to replace the Wheel, Tyre and a few Suspension parts, Control Arm, Wheel Bearing, Wheel Hub, Bolts, Nuts, Support Arm, Top Suspension Arm, Screws.... Total came to £3013.78 so glad I went through insurance!

Anyway... all nice, shiny and new:

Just need to get it resprayed to match the others now.

Quick Reply: Wheel off centre after hitting curb