A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be the best way to connect audio in my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would be the best way to connect audio in my car

Hi,

My car is 2009 S8,

I would like to consult with you regarding what will be the most easy way to have AUX input in my car, as for now I am using the Bluetooth to FM transmitter and the sound quality is not grate..

in the glove box I only have a CD changer with no inputs option:

if I select media and source I have only CD option:

and I also have an 3rd party (not original) navigation device:

that seems to be connected to video using this type of connector:

and if I click "NAV" button it will switch to "AV 01" and to the navigation device:

as this is an old navigation device I don't really need it and it can be disconnected to have audio input, but when I select "NAV" the video will switch to the navigation but the audio is still on radio / CD
this navigation device is having as external small speaker for its audio instructions, in a separated connector..

do I have the option somehow to use this for audio? or what will be the most easy way to have AUX input in my car in the current situation?

thanks and best regards,

Alon.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mr12volt for the CarPlay adapter. I typically hate aftermarket adapters but this thing just works. It adds CarPlay or android Auto to your stock screen, automatically switches out for the backup camera and allows you to retain amazing sound quality because you’re not pushing everything through the 1/8th Jack, into an adapter, Etc.

I want to say the kit was like $350 and it took a couple hours to install slowly. Best money I’ve spent on the car by far though. Feature wise, it brings it to parity with many new cars.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mike - seems like a great solution and I will take it in consideration, I did not know this product exist before..

In additional since this solution is a bit expansive (400$ + 35$ shipping + 60$ tax in my country) - if someone also have an idea if there is any other option to use my existing setup to create an "AUX in" or purchase any type of a relevant convertor,

Best regards,

Alon
Old 03-05-2022, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Another options is to get an AMI unit off ebay, and then add a Bovee tune 2 air, about the same cost, maybe just a bit less, but it ties directly into the MMI you have now.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Forgot about this option also, https://www.dension.com/automotive/c..._mmi2_high.jpg
Old 03-14-2022, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ebay

You should be able to get a dension gateway cheap from ebay now with Bluetooth also
Old 03-22-2022, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't emphasis enough how much better than Mr 12v kit is. I had the Dension back in 2010 when I had my A8. It was great for the time. The Mr 12V is better. It ties into the MMI system in a way that makes it feel stock. Simply hit CD changer when you want to view it. Putting the car in reverse automatically engages the rear view camera. Using any of the other menus defaults to those menus but then you just hit the CD changer button and boom, you're right back to CarPlay. My car starts in CarPlay and I rarely use the stock menus. It is the best. I know I sound like an ad for Mr 12V. I swear I have no affiliation but in terms of sound quality (direct tie in which is best for B&O) and overall usability, it is the best on the market by a large margin if you're accustomed to using apple CarPlay or android auto.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:22 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I can't emphasis enough how much better than Mr 12v kit is. I had the Dension back in 2010 when I had my A8. It was great for the time. The Mr 12V is better. It ties into the MMI system in a way that makes it feel stock. Simply hit CD changer when you want to view it. Putting the car in reverse automatically engages the rear view camera. Using any of the other menus defaults to those menus but then you just hit the CD changer button and boom, you're right back to CarPlay. My car starts in CarPlay and I rarely use the stock menus. It is the best. I know I sound like an ad for Mr 12V. I swear I have no affiliation but in terms of sound quality (direct tie in which is best for B&O) and overall usability, it is the best on the market by a large margin if you're accustomed to using apple CarPlay or android auto.
I have had a similar system in my A8 for the last 18 months or so. Same reverse cam function, though my car uses the NAV button to activate carplay. (obviously the nav maps are wildy out of date in Oz so this is fine) All the mmi controls and steering controls work as normal and the INFO button is Siri.

For those installing these kits with separate microphones, I had 1 spare mic spot in the roof console so it does fit up in there.

Mike
Old 03-23-2022, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have this MR12VOLT thing and it works amazing. Has aux as well as A2DB Bluetooth audio. Keep in mind it pipes audio into your MMI using fiber optic.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcs
I have had a similar system in my A8 for the last 18 months or so. Same reverse cam function, though my car uses the NAV button to activate carplay. (obviously the nav maps are wildy out of date in Oz so this is fine) All the mmi controls and steering controls work as normal and the INFO button is Siri.

For those installing these kits with separate microphones, I had 1 spare mic spot in the roof console so it does fit up in there.

Mike
You guys are getting me excited!

On e question: If I don't have a backup camera stock, can I put a generic composite camera in and have it work? Like a license plate camera or something similar?

Quick Reply: What would be the best way to connect audio in my car