A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is that noise in left front wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is that noise in left front wheel well?

I've tried searching this forum prior to posting, but perhaps not using correct terminology to get results.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2006 A8L, 95,000 miles. Wife drove home tonight, stopped engine, and said she heard "fan" noise from front end. I mentioned it was the air suspension lowering. 30 minutes later I go outside, and hear a rotary type sound and when I placed my hand on top of the inside left front wheel well rubber covering, I could feel something tapping it as if it was revolving. When I popped the hood, sound got very loud (coincidentally i don't know) but sounded like a roof turbine fan that is warped and hitting edge with each revolution.
I removed the 2 hex screws and found a plug of some sort and disconnected it, thinking it was an air suspension pump trying to kick on and off.
I could NOT get it to shut off. I started the vehicle, raised the suspension, lowered it, etc. (worked), removed every fuse one by one from each side of the dash, and unplugged and replugged those large square fuse type plugs above the regular fuse bay. Still on. Finally, after another 30 minutes of prodding helplessly, I disconnected the Negative battery terminal, waited 30 seconds or so, reattached, and heard sound come on again. Disconnected for 30 minutes, reattached and now now sound.
I did notice when I recranked it, that my battery was obviously low, and saw a dash light which is a triangle with a ! inside, encircled by an arrow.

ANY suggestions would be great since the closest dealer is right at 2 hrs away from me.

thank you,

Andy
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default You are (unfortunately) on the right track...air suspension

air suspension problems. $$ to fix commonly to set expectations. If compressor is running continuously, you likely have a meaningful leak. Probably good you pulled the "ultimate" plug by disconnecting battery for now, since if the compressor keeps running it gets fried on top of what ever the issue is. Typically a bad strut or air connection coming into it from the posts I've seen. No issues on mine, but others have been through it.

Meanwhile charge up the battery (still disconnected) and don't be surprised if car drops ridiculously low.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the information. Do you know if this would be covered on the extended warrantee? Also, if not, when you mention $$ to fix, is this $$ out of $$$$$ or what. I know nothing is cheap at the dealer, but I've been out of work for 7 weeks and need to watch what is spent.
Finally, if you don't mind, is this a safety issue? I would unplug the damn pump but didn't know where/how. I tried all those fuses but did not touch any fuses located near battery in trunk.
Thanks again,
Andy B
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is also the case when the compressor starts to die. It may do this once, and then work for a week or two, and then it will do this again until it blows the fuse. The battery cables will become hot and it will smell really bad. It will melt down and make the whole car smell really bad. You will then need to change cabin air filter and the intake air filter on the pump.

First check if you have a leak in a strut and then look at getting ready to replace WABCO air compressor. It is only a 45 minute job the first time job to replace the compressor.

Extended warranty should cover this part and labor.

This happened to me a few months back. Pretty embarrassing having your A8 sound like there is a tractor motor in it.

You can get the new pump for $550 from here and it is not difficult to put in. You don't need to remove much besides the wheel, wheel liner and bottom cover.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 03-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Costs; outlook; warranty

Costs: air struts are $1500ish new (EACH!), and something like $600 each for the rebuilds.Labor is minor compared to the parts in this case. If you try to drive it without the compressor, the car will literally be down on the bump stops, a horrendous ride (besides looking dumb) even on decent pavement, and a recipe for tearing stuff up quickly. If you run it with the compressor, it will likely just blow the compressor quickly (if it isn't gone already) and add to the repair bill. Not sure what they cost, but its in same scale as above strut numbers I think.

Extended warranty: will depend on specifics of your coverage. You need to read it through, looking at the (air) suspension provisions, pumps(compressor) and wear and tear type further exclusions.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks so much for the helpful advise. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you , again, MP4
for the information.
Helps alot.
Sounds like I need to head to dealership.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
This is also the case when the compressor starts to die. It may do this once, and then work for a week or two, and then it will do this again until it blows the fuse. The battery cables will become hot and it will smell really bad. It will melt down and make the whole car smell really bad. You will then need to change cabin air filter and the intake air filter on the pump.

First check if you have a leak in a strut and then look at getting ready to replace WABCO air compressor. It is only a 45 minute job the first time job to replace the compressor.

Extended warranty should cover this part and labor.

This happened to me a few months back. Pretty embarrassing having your A8 sound like there is a tractor motor in it.

You can get the new pump for $550 from here and it is not difficult to put in. You don't need to remove much besides the wheel, wheel liner and bottom cover.
Can you tell me where the fuse is for this ? In case I need to pull it to "reset" motor, instead of disconnecting the Battery Negative terminal? Thanks again
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

2004-2006 the fuse is located under the panel below the steering wheel. You have to drop the panel below the steering wheel that has the airbag in it. It is not difficult. Remove fuse cover on Drivers side and there is 2 Torx screws holding panel in. Remove the trim on the left side (the 1.5" x 8" )grey piece) and there are a few Torx screws. There is also a Torx screw located at the bottom right of the panel by feet. Remove the long trim piece on right side (remove credit card tray front by sliding to right to unclip it first or you will break it off) and there is one more Torx screw on right side of steering wheel. Just pull down and the panel will slide down. You will see a Panel fuses and relays. The relay that controls pump is labeled 373. The fuse is a Large Orange 40Amp fuse. You cant miss it it is Orange in color. Test with ohmmeter, it is difficult to see a break in fuse the way they are made. The below picture shows the orange fuse and where the relay 373 is located. If the compressor burns up you should also replace the air intake for the compressor that is located high up on the drivers fender. You can just replace it with a MANN filter WK32/6 and put a piece of foam in the air intake cup. Audi wants several hundred dollars for this sophisticated air intake piece (the MANN filter that looks like a fuel filter and a piece of rubber).
Attached Images  

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 03-25-2014 at 10:29 AM.