A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I've done with my 06 A8L since I didn't get the 07+

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default What I've done with my 06 A8L since I didn't get the 07+

Since 04-06 are practically the same design - except 07 has RVC standard and FSI engine - I like the timing chains but not the fact they're behind the engine - I don't like to drop the engine because of timing chains start to make noise or something requires dropping the engine to fix. I got my 06 for about $6k cheaper than a comparable 07.

1. Update MMI firmware from 1190 to 3360 (could have gone straight to 4610)
2. Update MMI firmware from 3360 to 4610 (bluetooth works didn't use disk 1)
3. hidden menu
4. AMI for my old ipods to play mp3 instead of mp3 CD changer retrofit

5. Rear View Camera Retrofit.

Just like I said - slowly but surely everything will be in place as I like my A8L to be. It's great now - except harsh ride from 19" low profile - I'm sure with smaller wheels and higher profile - the ride will be perfect.

Remove the switch of the horrible slow electric trunk - lift up and slam down much better. Audi engineers believe people who drive A8 must be so old or handicapped that they need this electric trunk to help them close?

After I learned about the lighting system - I'll change all LEDS - next.
Brake pads were replaced at 55k miles - they're going down to 1/2 or less - They may be needed soon -

BTW, the only VCDS mods I did is the be able to raise the windows with the remote because my son does forget to roll up his windows all the time - this car doesn't have a key hole for me to stick it in and raise the windows like the D2. Some how, I still like the original stuff - conservative may be :-).

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Since 04-06 are practically the same design - except 07 has RVC standard and FSI engine - I like the timing chains but not the fact they're behind the engine - I don't like to drop the engine because of timing chains start to make noise or something requires dropping the engine to fix. I got my 06 for about $6k cheaper than a comparable 07.

1. Update MMI firmware from 1190 to 3360 (could have gone straight to 4610)
2. Update MMI firmware from 3360 to 4610 (bluetooth works didn't use disk 1)
3. hidden menu
4. AMI for my old ipods to play mp3 instead of mp3 CD changer retrofit

5. Rear View Camera Retrofit.

Just like I said - slowly but surely everything will be in place as I like my A8L to be. It's great now - except harsh ride from 19" low profile - I'm sure with smaller wheels and higher profile - the ride will be perfect.

Remove the switch of the horrible slow electric trunk - lift up and slam down much better. Audi engineers believe people who drive A8 must be so old or handicapped that they need this electric trunk to help them close?

After I learned about the lighting system - I'll change all LEDS - next.
Brake pads were replaced at 55k miles - they're going down to 1/2 or less - They may be needed soon -

BTW, the only VCDS mods I did is the be able to raise the windows with the remote because my son does forget to roll up his windows all the time - this car doesn't have a key hole for me to stick it in and raise the windows like the D2. Some how, I still like the original stuff - conservative may be :-).

Cheers,

Louis
Good stuff. BTW there is a key hole on the drivers door. Look under the door handle. Could be useful if your fob suddenly dies which they do if they get very cold. e.g you keep it in an outside pocket and you go skiing.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Dave - Never noticed that -

Louis
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

On the 2004, the keyhole in the trunk is far easier to access, and it will lock/unlock doors, too. I would guess it's the same on yours.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Atomic, I noticed that too.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to try ami retro fit ans rearview camera retrofit (After fixing air compressor i probably destroyed last night) please can you add the parts information for the camera and ami unit(s). Your car is pretty hooked up.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Camera and Ipod interface sources

Originally Posted by daamerikandream1
Going to try ami retro fit ans rearview camera retrofit (After fixing air compressor i probably destroyed last night) please can you add the parts information for the camera and ami unit(s). Your car is pretty hooked up.
Tell us about fixing the air compressor when you're done with it, please.

The people who sold me the Audi camera is very nice - the only problem with the camera is that the LED lights terminals +/- are reversed - I have to solder wires and connected to correct terminals for it to work - Check your license plate light terminals - Also, this camera has guide lines which Audi already has dynamic guide lines - it's OK because the camera is pretty clear. I also had to my LED bulb for the other side to match - designed a circuit NOT to turn off the LED lights by the system.

Always choose CCD over CMOS - CCD is more expensive and sharper than the CMOS- Sony or Hitachi CCD are the best.

<p><a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CCD-CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA-AUDI-A3-S3-A4-S4-A6-S6-A8-S8-RS4-RS6-Q7-/230740134034?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&ha sh=item35b92f0892">Audi Camera Ebay seller stephenhong2009</a></p>

The ipod interface may be and older version of AMI - please contact the guy I bought it from - he's in Romania - fast shipping and straight forward person.

Adrian Velicescu
adrianATvelicescu.com

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 05-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks for the pics and the ebay link. i tried to fix the air compressor but had no luck with it. first step was to try to use heat shrink tubes to repair the hose that carries the air to the driver side front air suspension. this worked air passed well w/o leaks. some electric parts were messed up pretty bad. tried to reconnect them with splice fittings from home depot. worked partly but found out i was missing some electric stuff. also the mount was broken. all in all to replace the air tube, electric, mount with oem parts was over $500 so i just put in an insurance claim. oh yea the lower part of the front bumper was ripped off as well.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Tell us about fixing the air compressor when you're done with it, please.

The people who sold me the Audi camera is very nice - the only problem with the camera is that the LED lights terminals +/- are reversed - I have to solder wires and connected to correct terminals for it to work - Check your license plate light terminals - Also, this camera has guide lines which Audi already has dynamic guide lines - it's OK because the camera is pretty clear. I also had to my LED bulb for the other side to match - designed a circuit NOT to turn off the LED lights by the system.

Always choose CCD over CMOS - CCD is more expensive and sharper than the CMOS- Sony or Hitachi CCD are the best.

<p><a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CCD-CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA-AUDI-A3-S3-A4-S4-A6-S6-A8-S8-RS4-RS6-Q7-/230740134034?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&ha sh=item35b92f0892">Audi Camera Ebay seller stephenhong2009</a></p>

The ipod interface may be and older version of AMI - please contact the guy I bought it from - he's in Romania - fast shipping and straight forward person.

Adrian Velicescu
adrianATvelicescu.com

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User