A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does "Manufacturer Restriction" Mean in Brake Pad Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default What does "Manufacturer Restriction" Mean in Brake Pad Specs?

I googled the P/N of my TRW brake pads I am about to install to see about their bedding in recommendations. (I hope they match the procedure for the new rears I just installed or I'm in trouble). On the specs page it has a column " Manufacturer Restriction" and says ATE, which I know is another brake company. I searched the TRWaftermarket.com site for " Manufacturer Restriction " and only had a few results, including one that listed Bendix, another competitor.
Any of you experienced parts guys know what this could mean?
TIA,
-Tom
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

That means follow the vehicle manufacturer's procedure for breaking in new pads.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
That means follow the vehicle manufacturer's procedure for breaking in new pads.
I can't say that makes sense to me. Is the rationale that the break-in recommended by the pad manufacturer is too rigorous for the vehicle or vice versa?

Also IIRC you really are a Bally as in Bally Games. Last night I heard the song "Pinball Wizard" by Elton John (and/or The Who) and thought how crazy it must be for you to hear your family name referred to in such a mega-hit song. ("I thought I was the Bally Table king, but I've just handed my pinball crown to him...") Very cool I must say.

-Tom
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

The pad manufacturer either has no clue what the OEM specs are for any break-in/burnishing or the pad is used on different vehicles/applications which havedifferent break -in specs.

Although Bally is not my family name, our family has had ties with Bally for many years. The true "Mr. Bally" was Raymond Molony. He was followed by Bill O'Donnell and then Bob Mullane. Two great Irishmen and the last one, not so great as he basically bankrupted the Company. Thanks to a lot of loyal employees, the Company survived. Today, in name, Bally is a leader in slot machine and other gaming equipment and systems.

Bally was the first pinball manufacturer to be mentioned in a popular song and also was mentioned in a Jeopardy answer.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 07-29-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
The pad manufacturer either has no clue what the OEM specs are for any break-in/burnishing or the pad is used on different vehicles/applications which have different break -in specs.

Although Bally is not my family name, our family has has ties with Bally for many years....
Well as far as I'm concerned, you're still very cool . Because you drive an A8; and because you involve the "Ballykid" in your repairs and 160mph runs...
I wish one of my kids would show interest in my cars.. they've got some cool ones to inherit if they quit pissing me off... but I am hopeful because they LOVE going to the coolest spot in Nashville: Lane Motor Museum. They're still young (11&13) so there is still time. But I was a car nut at eight.