A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tashakes
I for one, can't wait for the wifi version of vcds.
Why? Is it going to lower your car better? Read some faulty codes that your laptop won't? Let you program your new key or install your new CD player? I agree that technology improvement gave us many new opportunities, but I don't sea that HD made TV program any better, or Twitter us any more social. All that technology is just a weapon. Some of it is just shiny and only good for a parade.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I hope it works well with VW/Audi diagnostics.

Nexiq (nexiq.com) did this a few years ago for automotive diagnostics. Some functionality on some systems do not work reliably with the wireless setups. Pure diagnostic faults are displayed fine but try to change a parameter and you may have to remove a battery from your stupidphone™ or PC for that matter to reboot a locked up device.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Had quite a few drinks last night and pulled it up on my phone lol. Anyways.. It was directed in a vast sense, meaning that everything is headed that way I totally agree, it doesn't necessarily always work. But I agree 100% with you all. I just hope it's not super expensive. Without competition these cables are still kind of pricey. And thank you K9 haha
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Why? Is it going to lower your car better? Read some faulty codes that your laptop won't?
Probably not, but it is good to see how technology advances. Being able to sit anywhere on the car without a laptop that I try to fit between my stomach and the steering wheel, or trying to balance it on the center console/shifter without concentrating on not scratching something sounds appealing.

It was not too long ago that these cables came in serial port flavor only, but now most laptops do not even have them and the switch to USB helped a lot of us. So going to the next step just makes good business sense IMO.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by tashakes
It was not too long ago that these cables came in serial port flavor only
About 10 years ago. If RS-232 serial ports had remained standard on laptops, we would never have bothered making USB interfaces; there's zero advantage in USB for what we do.

There's definitely a portion of our customer base that would prefer to use their smartphone or tablet if they could. For those who don't feel that way, well, we won't force you in that direction.

-Uwe-
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Uwe@Ross-Tech.com
About 10 years ago. If RS-232 serial ports had remained standard on laptops, we would never have bothered making USB interfaces; there's zero advantage in USB for what we do.

There's definitely a portion of our customer base that would prefer to use their smartphone or tablet if they could. For those who don't feel that way, well, we won't force you in that direction.

-Uwe-
As I said in my first message here, it is nice to have wireless connection because that wire gets in the way quite often. Having that program on the smart phone, even on a Samsung Note, has only disadvantages in my opinion. Tablet definitely better, but in my opinion tablet is just smaller laptop with exposed display. How long it will be popular depends on the next well marketed idea. May be somebody can remember Vewsonic tablet from 10 years ago. Same thing except luck of aggressive marketing. Never accepted. So the marketing is what is good about tablet and, using iPhone for years, I must say Apple in general. Mac lowers your turn.

By the way, speaking about "forcing" us in the direction, will the owners of the original cable get a discount?

P.S. Samsung Note is my next phone.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey Jake!

Bet you're glad you started this one, right?

[IMG][/IMG]

K9

Last edited by K9COP; 05-18-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K9COP
Bet you're glad you started this one, right?

[IMG][/IMG]

K9
Very much so.
Good feedback from the group.

And to have my thread commented on by Uwe himself shows the commitment of the entire Ross-Tech team to the product.

p.s. I'm stealing your dog, and you should add it to your signature
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. Yes they are. Help yourself, and already have.. In that order..(probably, if it worked....)

K9

Originally Posted by jakematic
Very much so.
Good feedback from the group.

And to have my thread commented on by Uwe himself shows the commitment of the entire Ross-Tech team to the product.

p.s. I'm stealing your dog, and you should add it to your signature
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default VCHN is available

The beta period is open - just purchased mine

Since I don't have a laptop computer anymore I've been awaiting this with bated breath...

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/IC.html

Quick Reply: VCDS Mobile