A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Power Steering Pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention, for me there is no significant change with temp or time, pretty constant noise, only change is freq with speed in which you are turning the wheel.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Suggestions: clock spring + new mechanic

1. What you describe sounds to me a lot like the "clock spring" as I read the newest posts in the thread. It sits at the base of the steering wheel behind the air bag. It gets the electrical connections from the fixed steering column to the turning steering wheel. Inside is basically a clock wound sort of flat connector to route the various wiring up to what you see on the horn area--air bag, buttons, horn, etc. Internally it also now has the angle sensor that ties into ESP, adaptive lighting, etc. Net, when they act up they tend to make a bit of noise and/or start to throw codes--airbag fault, steering angle faults (both turn on warning lights) and other things. I have one on hand myself to install, since my airbag light is on with codes saying it's the steering airbag connection, which I already pulled off once to check. I've had the noise in the past on my 2000 A6 4.2 with a similar set up, cured by the clock spring change. A several hundred $, dealer only part for reference. Available from the online guys like AudiUSAParts.

2. Mechanic. From afar even if competent, it feels like his incentives are wrong, focused on making a good mark up on dealer supplied parts where he gets a discount on a big $ parts price if it goes a common way. I prefer people focused on the work, not a parts profit biz. Meanwhile on TPMS sensor, any tire shop can swap them. They see them on a lot of mid millennium factory set ups, though in 10 years they'll probably be largely gone. Where I go for any sensor changes/swap outs.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-13-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

That makes sense to me MP.

As for mech issue, I just took it to a brand new Firestone center and for $85 they took care of everything including a proper rebalance of wheels that the selling audi dealer didn't get correct when they mounted new tires. I was treated like a king actually, as it wasn't a Hyundai,toyota or escalade.

The Indy explained to me that he wasn't going to install non OEM parts, as he didn't want to deal with issues down the road. I appreciate that, but in some cases non OEM are perfectly acceptable, and this is clearly one of them.

Out of curiosity, as it seems to be a hot topic I asked about tranny service. He was pretty much on in my opinion, maybe even too conservative. Agrees that fluid is not lifetime (unlike Fort Myers Audi). He asked if I was having issues, I am not, then asked for mileage (41,000) and said I should bring it in. I get queasy about dealers, IMHO many if the techs are there for a job. I would like to think an Indy does it for more glorified reasons. I was amazed on the corvette forums how many engine issues Z06 owners were having after a simple oil change, because the techs screwed it up.....

Outside of the TPMS the car really shouldn't need much for quite a while, maybe brakes which i could do myself if I buy some tools as I have none where the S8 is kept at.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Got it. Tranny fluid and S8 (+W12) complication

I would not do it at your (low) miles, but would consider it at 75-100K.

I'm about ready to have a go at mine (at 98K now). To do a full pan drop and fluid change on an S8 will probably be very hard; at least from what I know from my W12. We have about the same tranny (different gearing), though the W12 also uses a different fluid spec. But I think we share essentially the same exhaust set up too and if you get under there, there is basically no way the pan is coming out the straight down normal way unless the whole front exhaust is pulled. And since it's a full 4 down system until the main quad cats, good luck w/ that. I haven't been under an S8 to confirm that on the front manifolding, and not sure how they would divide up a V10, but at least in W12 world it is like that.

When I get around to it, I'm going to try an unexplored method involving dropping the nearby coolers, if that is I find I can open the diff/gear fluid fill ports for the relevant ones--another fluid I want to change anyway. But from experience, I never drain something until I know I can get at and open the fill port. If that plays right, I think I may be able to get the pan out by coming forward instead of down--two aux coolers are just to the front of the pan. One is gear oil and I think actually interconnects the front and center diffs in the W12 set up. IIRC, the other is a water to something cooler, and I mean to do the coolant too, so it will be a trifecta if successful, but also something I can back out of if the pan won't come free. In that case it will be bolt it back up and just do a drain and replace. But, back to the question you've had, besides advisability debate, it ain't easy on the W12, and then similarly on the S8 if you have a front quad exhaust down pipe set up. Simple drain and refill yes, but not the added pan pull, magnets clean and filter replace heavier version.

Later edit: Yep, looks like from this basic parts diagram the S8 also starts out as a 4 manifold/downpipe system like the W12 so what I described above for the W12 is probably very similar on the S8 as far as difficulties. http://www.audiusaparts.com/parts/20...HAUST%20SYSTEM

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S8 has been doing the same squeal when turning the steering wheel that others have described in this thread. It was worse when warm and the more often you turned the wheel in a short period of time, the worse it got(think driving to the top deck of a parking garage).

I brought it in to my dealer since I was about to go naked from my CPO(Oct 25). Initially, they claimed they couldn't elicit the squeal and sent me on my way after resolving some other issues. On the way home that night I was able to make it squeal without much difficulty and arranged to demonstrate the problem for the tech myself the following morning. He agreed that there was a strange noise and they took the car back. They even held up the previous CPO work order because it was clear I had reported the problem before the warranty expired. So, they are absorbing the cost of this repair.

They diagnosed a faulty steering rack and have had the car for 2 weeks now due to the length of time needed to secure a new one from Germany. I've had a decent A6 loaner so it's not a big deal but I with be thoroughly testing the car before I sign off on the repair since it will be my last "freebie".

BTW-during the visit they also replaced the control arm bushings, the passenger headlight washer mechanism and a parking brake module. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the CPO and I'll be going naked with some trepidation!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

how many miles do you have?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gaspasser19

They diagnosed a faulty steering rack and have had the car for 2 weeks now due to the length of time needed to secure a new one from Germany. I've had a decent A6 loaner so it's not a big deal but I with be thoroughly testing the car before I sign off on the repair since it will be my last "freebie".

BTW-during the visit they also replaced the control arm bushings, the passenger headlight washer mechanism and a parking brake module. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the CPO and I'll be going naked with some trepidation!

This is exactly why driving my W12 without a CPO was like walking on nails... It was amazing for about a year then boom; the shat hit the fan...
Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zedbyers
how many miles do you have?
Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kgd_007
Did you ever figure this out. My current S8 does the same thing as did the prior S8 I had but can't remember what the dealer did to fix it. The noise on my is slightly worse once warmed up.

Kris
Hi Kris,

Sorry for dragging this up again, but did you even find out what caused the power steering whine/whirring, especially when hot.
Dealer not interested really

Many thanks

Dave
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bringing this back to life ('07 S8 in question).

It seems that for most power steering noise cases the solution was simply to top off the reservoir? I was told one actually had to take off the bumper simply to refill it, but that is seemingly not right?

What is the consensus when it comes to PS pump service life? 200k? What are the symptoms of one going out? Also, I was told there is a shaft that needs replacement at the same time?

Quick Reply: V10 Power Steering Pump question...