A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Power Steering Pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 Power Steering Pump question...

I'm visiting my sister and bro-in-law in England. They're not particularly handy so I'm fixing everything in the house including the 2008 S8 V10. The power steering whines so I asked him to pick up some Pentosin CHF11,11s or 202; whatever he could find. I just read here the reservoir is buried on a V10. Can anyone tell me how to pull this off with limited tools? We're in the boonies and this car won't get back to London for a long while... Thanks in advance from a long time, multi Audi member moved to Porcshe Cayman
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine did the same thing when I purchased it (07, bought it a year ago), it would whine when the car was cold.

The reservoir on a LHD car is tucked under the left headlight, it's not that hard to get to.

As I recall, I took off a little more than I had to, but I removed the left hand side air filter and then I believe air box. You can then see the power steering reservoir forward of it....you might not have to take the air box out completely.

The level was low, I added a small amount of fluid (probably 4-6 ounces?), put everything back together and it has never made another sound.

I remember a lot of people complaining of this when I got my car, I think the factory fill amount was just a little low.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Followup

A followup on the PS fluid top-up on a V10 car:
The reservoir is on the left side of the car (this was a RH drive UK car) under the airbox. You can barely see it but you can see the light blue lid on the reservoir to confirm it’s actually there. I had to remove the cover to the air cleaner but not the lower airbox itself. You need a pair of channel locks for the spring clamp on the plastic air intake tube and you need a long small Phillips screwdriver for the screws on the air cleaner box. When I say long, I mean a 12-16” long Phillips screwdriver to get one troublesome screw on that airbox. You cannot do the job without that long screwdriver. I used a small funnel to get the fluid into the open reservoir and it took only an ounce or two. Car fixed- noise gone. I had this same problem with my Porsche Cayman where only one ounce stopped a whining PS pump. Hope this helps, C.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious about the noise you heard. I picked up a 2008 S8 back in march. i have been away from the car for a few weeks and came back to it and noticed a steering associated noise. sitting still or moving, when you turn the wheel you get a very slight noise, that i hadn't noticed before. if you had the radio up or had loud road noise you wouldn't notice this. i would describe it as being similar to the noise you might hear tuning in a short wave radio. it changes frequency with the speed at which you are moving the steering wheel (faster = higher).

was the noise anything like this? i am away from the car again, so i can't check the fluid level, but trying to get some info for when i next have access to the car.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

It ranged from a whine to a deeper growl and it's directly related to steering wheel movement. It was quite loud and my bro-in-law was starting to get embarrased driving around in such a nice car making such a nasty noise. That's why I was pretty sure it was the ps fluid level. If yours is faint, then you probably have time and it will get louder if you loose more fluid. With both my Cayman and this S8, the topup required very little fluid. Remember, you can't check it without removing the top of the air cleaner box. When I looked into the resevoir, I could not see fluid. All I could see was the screen inside the resevoir. C.

Last edited by Crispin; 05-22-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whatever you do, don't remove the base of the air box!!! What a pain in the *** is was to get that thing back in the right position.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default +1

To do it you basically need to loosen the upper forward part of the plastic fender liner to reach in and get at the air pump hose (with the impossible to attach the integral plastic squeeze clamp) buried under the bottom of that driver's side box. Very convoluted. Ask me how I know...

Later edit--see post link for all the details here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24448192

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Cross reference to my later post on P/S fluid check

See here, including pictures: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2#post24448222
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
I am curious about the noise you heard. I picked up a 2008 S8 back in march. i have been away from the car for a few weeks and came back to it and noticed a steering associated noise. sitting still or moving, when you turn the wheel you get a very slight noise, that i hadn't noticed before. if you had the radio up or had loud road noise you wouldn't notice this. i would describe it as being similar to the noise you might hear tuning in a short wave radio. it changes frequency with the speed at which you are moving the steering wheel (faster = higher).

was the noise anything like this? i am away from the car again, so i can't check the fluid level, but trying to get some info for when i next have access to the car.
Did you ever figure this out. My current S8 does the same thing as did the prior S8 I had but can't remember what the dealer did to fix it. The noise on my is slightly worse once warmed up.

Kris
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I haven't as of yet. I just put the car back on the road a week ago, and haven't had the time to look at the fluid level., and I won't have a chance to do this for at least another 2 weeks. I have my doubts about it being the power steering, and it certainly isn't a suspension related noise. I don't know how the electronics are put together in the column, is there a slip ring? My thoughts are the noise is coming from something in the colmn closer to the driver than not.

On top of this I am not having good luck with an Indy in the area, the most promising one refused to install my supplied TPMS sensors, and would only install OEM at Audi prices. So I am not sure I am going to go to this guy for further troubleshooting.....

Quick Reply: V10 Power Steering Pump question...