A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Control Arm Bushings - Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper Control Arm Bushings - Problem Solved

After less than 20K on my new upper control arm bushings I hit several large potholes due to road “improvement”. After this my suspension was making a loud crunching sound when I went over any small driveway bump. I looked and saw the upper drivers control arm bushing had separated from the inner metal insert. I knew then that the bushings were shot again, and was not happy because not long ago I had them replaced. I did not want to go through this every 20K miles owning this car. I did a lot of research and took a chance on some polyurethane bushings from Powerflex. I was not disappointed.

Here is my findings on the PowerFlex Polyurethane upper control arm bushings:

After a lot of research and some crossed fingers, I picked up the PowerFlex PFF3-203 Upper Control Arm Bushings (Front Upper Arm Inner Mounts) for $103.99 from here

The upper control arm bushing on the A4, A6 and A8 seem to be the same bushing (there seems to be an update with a D suffix available now which may be a bit more heavy duty)

I expected the installation to take about 3 hrs plus a little time to figure out how to get the bushings. I had a local mechanic working on this for me. Turn out he had to put together a special tool to get the bushings into the control arms. After the 5th hour he had completed the work and did a 4 wheel alignment. If the tool was made up beforehand I am sure this would be a 4 hour job.

Results are AMAZING. The ride is better than new. When I go over small speed bumps or small dips in the pavement in dynamic mode the suspension no longer makes horrible noises and bottoms out. The handling is improved considerably and the suspension feels like brand new. I was afraid my air shocks may be going bad, but it was all the fragile bushings that Audi sells.

When I am in dynamic mode it feels GREAT. I can go up and down steep driveways in dynamic mode where previously I would always bottom out without any issues now.

About the bushings (from Powerflex website):
Audi B5 - A4 Avant Quattro (1995-2001) & A4 Quattro (1995-2001)
Powerflex Urethane Suspension Bushings

Powerflex polyurethane bushings are designed to decrease the amount of deflection in your car's suspension for better handling, driver feedback, and tire wear. We use a premium polyurethane formulated specifically for our company to provide minimal NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) and increased longevity over the stock rubber bushings. The quality of Powerflex products is visible the moment you open the box: premium polyurethanes, detailed moldings, and CNC-machined 304 stainless sleeves. Lube-holding grooves and knurls will ensure the supplied copper-based grease stays in place for extended squeak-free operation.

N.B. I have nothing to do with Powerflex, they just supplied a great product that solved my upper control arm issues hopefully for good. Now I will not replace the bushings again until the ball joints go bad!
Attached Images    

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 02-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for being the first! I have been looking for poly bushings for a while for this application.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default new bushings

I assume these polyurethane bushings were fitted to a D3 chassis A8 - is that correct? I have an '07, and would like to verify that they will fit it WHEN (not if) I need to install new bushings.

Also, were these for both front and rear upper control arms?

Thanks,

Gary--
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Theses were used for a D3 A8 2005 Front Upper Control Arm Bushings. It seems that the bushing is the same for the A4, A6, and A8.

These were just the front upper control arms. The Audi part number for an A8 should be 8D0-407-515-D. they can be found here

I will investigate the rears when they go bad.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 02-27-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, before I order a set of these for mine, I have to ask, what is the realistic life of the ball joint on the other end of these? My car just turned 110k, and I'd be inclined to replace the whole arm to get a new ball joint, but I'd also like to have a better upper bushing (preferably poly).
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same question, hopefully someone could answer this.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I will be purchasing these as well, when either my 05 needs new ones or when the W12 is due. Thanks for taking the plunge, the OEM aren't heavy duty enough for the A8.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I will be purchasing these as well, when either my 05 needs new ones or when the W12 is due. Thanks for taking the plunge, the OEM aren't heavy duty enough for the A8.
I did the control arms in my A4 last year. I used S4 upper arms, which uses a firmer bushing. It tightened the handling up and will hopefully last longer. The same can be done with A8.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tjf
I did the control arms in my A4 last year. I used S4 upper arms, which uses a firmer bushing. It tightened the handling up and will hopefully last longer. The same can be done with A8.
I wish I would of known as I replaced my upper arms about two weeks ago. Damn, I should of kept the ones I took off, and ordered these bushings.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since there's a "front" upper" and a "rear" upper arm, and both of my mine are on their way out, can these poly bushings be pressed into both arms?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm Bushings - Problem Solved