A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Just pull up on the trunk and it will pop open if it does not close properly. This makes for a very unsafe situation for storing anything valuable in the trunk. Lubrication may solve the problem for a few minutes, but something else in the latch goes bad. It is well worth just fixing the problem for good.
Thanks. Looks like mine is functional, have just never noticed the lock sound.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll work on it at some point. Currently I have to drill out not only the remaining M5 screw, but also the piece of the extractor that's stuck in there. I'm sure that will drill out easily....lol. Good luck getting a hole in the center.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Screw & EZ-Out

Sorry to hear about broken screw, perhaps some readers could help on how to extract the broken EZ-Out. Mine did have some locking sealant on it that was blue. I am sure that securing the handle with an adhesive would serve it's purpose quite well. I have never even looked at the handle besides removing it to replace the trunk lock.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys.

I am having very similar issues. My soft close boot mechanism is not working. I have to slam the boot a few times for the latch to engage.

I thought the part I need is a striker plate with motor http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ail_id=1242145

but this thread suggests it's actually the latch on the boot lid?

Why would the boot latch prevent the striker plate + motor activating?

Does the boot latch on the boot lid have any electrics?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a8star
Hi guys.

I am having very similar issues. My soft close boot mechanism is not working. I have to slam the boot a few times for the latch to engage.

I thought the part I need is a striker plate with motor http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ail_id=1242145

I'm having the same problem it would appear.

One day my boot lid decided to fail to latch. It then worked on and off for a week or so (though with more force than should be required). Having read similar advice to above on various Audi forums I ordered a new latch for the boot lid. I replaced it and guess what, still not working. It does latch now but requires a good slam (I don't like that.)

I'm guessing that the part you have linked to here is probably the part that I need.

What does it do exactly? Does it move the striker up so that it latches, then pull it back down again? My motor makes a noise when I open the boot but I can't see anything moving. There is no noise from the motor when I close the boot lid.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys we need some help here. Bump Bump
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem when I bought my 05 when it would latch sometimes but most of the time it wouldn't. I was going to buy a new one but I decided to take the latch off and Wd-40'ed the crap out of it for like 10 minutes and I latched and unlatched it from the latch button as I was lubing it until it got better and I made sure it won't go bad again. I reinstalled the latch on the car and put everything back together and have had no problems since. Latches like new as it came from the factory. I always do the simple cheap stuff first before spending money so it's worth a shot.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by a8star
Hi guys.

It also could be the small spring in the bottom part broken. If you open it you will see it. It is easy to fix.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Trunk Lock Replacement

For what it's worth...
Mine was intermittently working.

Symptom:
Close trunk lid manually (my car is manual) and when lid makes contact with motorized latch on body nothing happens - no motor sound.. nothing. Lid will not latch and squeeze tight.

Researched forum and others and then went to dealer for the likely needed part. Parts person at dealer agreed it was the lid latch assembly. He claimed there is a chip integrated within that is necessary. WOW! ReallY?

I installed new assembly into trunk lid and then dissected the old part and found nothing electronic looking whatsoever.

Disposition: New lid latch assembly FIXED the symptom.
Cost from dealer: Lid latch assembly - $62 USD including tax.

Since then, I saw Mishar's note below and checked that too as a precaution. Yes, there is a spring and if broken could cause the same symptom. Wasn't true in this instance however, it is VERY ECONOMICAL fix if it's the problem.

Originally Posted by mishar
It also could be the small spring in the bottom part broken. If you open it you will see it. It is easy to fix.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smithrd8003
For what it's worth...
Mine was intermittently working.

Symptom:
Close trunk lid manually (my car is manual) and when lid makes contact with motorized latch on body nothing happens - no motor sound.. nothing. Lid will not latch and squeeze tight.

Researched forum and others and then went to dealer for the likely needed part. Parts person at dealer agreed it was the lid latch assembly. He claimed there is a chip integrated within that is necessary. WOW! ReallY?

I installed new assembly into trunk lid and then dissected the old part and found nothing electronic looking whatsoever.

Disposition: New lid latch assembly FIXED the symptom.
Cost from dealer: Lid latch assembly - $62 USD including tax.

Since then, I saw Mishar's note below and checked that too as a precaution. Yes, there is a spring and if broken could cause the same symptom. Wasn't true in this instance however, it is VERY ECONOMICAL fix if it's the problem.
Same for me when I experienced this issue, replaced the lid latch assembly and all is fair with the universe since then. As suggested easy fix.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lock Replacement