A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission 'hoot' tsb

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis, I appreciate your input.

I will keep all posted on what happens...fingers crossed.
For the record, i do believe there is a difference between flush vs drain and refill. I know from other cars and forums that flushes are associated with many adverse outcomes.
I will simply drain and refill, plus change filter.
Would you guys mind posting miles on your D3s?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Mine is 93k miles at the moment.

The irony of this forum or any other Audi forums is that the cars with defective transmissions will circle around, the new owners will come here with the same problems with different usernames (new owners) and the same advice... change the fluids and spend tons of money and they dump their cars again until the cars vanished by going to people who don't join these forums.

Green_a8 actually bought the car with transmission services with receipts of thousands of dollars on the car just before it was sold to him.

Do it carefully, I even read the problems became severe if you don't do it correctly or miss some steps. Read the procedure carefully, the temperature has to be correct and the car must be leveled. I'm sure you know that already.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Louis, at 93k miles, have you had any major issues?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also again, any input on Ravenol?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm a happy camper with my car. I got the car a year ago @ 73k miles. Solid, original, everything is functional. It's been trouble free 20k miles so far. It's more reliable than many new cars.
When did you get your car? It may be defective from birth.

IS your car black/black short wheel base from Seattle area?

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-04-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
To me, I only give advice to do something that COSTS money to someone if I've fixed it myself with the same problem, if not, it's extremely irresponsible of me to do so. I've searched and read all A8 transmission problems since D2 to D3 and all savvy people always talked about changing the oil.

Now, Audi lies to people driving A8 without BLUE oil? How many are there? How many actually have replaced the blue oil? If it's a design issue, should it be recalled? Or "hooting" is just a sign of a "slightly DEFECTIVE" transmission?

<a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5140452-Clutch-release-noise-chirp-squeak-hooo">I found this thread on 6 speed manual hooting problem</a>, and it is explained by mechanical stuff... It's more understandable to me, yes, we have automatic transmission, but the operation is the same. Now, you are going to fix it with some blue oil and some software update? Yes, it could be done by using the software to patch the way the transmission shift to avoid the "HOOTING" problem. It's still defective or I call "walking wounded".

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24526098#post24526098">How much money did this person spent before he dumped his car thanks to all transmission oil changes and even blue one recommendation?</a>

Yes, I do sound pessimistic, but logical and practical. Show me a thread that a "hooting" or transmission thumbing was fixed with transmission oil change?

***I thought Audi transmissions are life time - No oil change required*** is it only with D3 that we have to change oil?

I do hope g8trgrad fixes his problem and I really hope he will update the progress. I don't have hooting, but I'm sure one day, I'll feel or hear one, and if $1000 is to really fix it, I would pay.

Cheers,

Louis
If you believe the marketing hype of "lifetime fill" anything you're just as idiotic as the marketing guys who write this stuff in the first place. Nothing is "lifetime fill," which is why when you ask the ZF engineers (you know, the company that actually manufactures our transmission), they will tell you "if you want this thing to live a nice happy and long life, change the fluid by 60k."

Last edited by bmwm750; 06-05-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

It's worth noting that the "hoot" is a known issue across the board wherever the ZF 6HP "sealed for life" tranny is used. So BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Bentley, Land Rover VW, etc.

Plenty of examples out there of the hoot being fixed by a fluid change. I recollect others on this board have had success with it too.

Also worth noting is that ZF now officially recommend a fluid change by 75k to maintain optimum performance in heavy duty use.

See here for more:

www.zf.com/media/media/document/brands_3/service_information/sitematrix~1/transmission/cars_4/englisch_3/modelluebergreifend_1/ZP_SI_Oelwechselkit_EN.pdf/

Last edited by dvs_dave; 06-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by g8trgrad
Also again, any input on Ravenol?
This topic has been beaten to death on the various forums of cars that utilize the 6HP transmissions, so I'd encourage you to search.

The long and short of it, is that despite the fact that the Audi/ ZF spec fluid boils down to a Shell spec, no one anywhere has ever been able to find an actually approved version of the fluid (and I mean truly approved, not the company saying "well sure, it's compatible so it'll work fine") available from anywhere except the OEMs or from ZF themselves, under the LifeGuard name.

Given the cost of actually having to open up one of these transmissions, I would not put anything in there that didn't come from the factory. So, that means either pay the up charge and get it from VW/ Audi, or buy it from ZF.

Further, I have been advised by the engineers at ZF to never use any sort of flushing equipment on these transmissions. You can get 90%+ of the fluid out of the system by doing a pan drop/ drain and then doing it again (so 2 drain/ fill cycles). Yes, you're "wasting" fluid, but it's safe. This is also why the notion of doing a regular interval pan drop/ fill cycle will always keep a healthy percentage of fresh fluid in the system, vs waiting to 100k to do anything, and then trying to figure out how to get all the old fluid out.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

+1; glad to see additional accurate info being provided.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Key extract from the above ZF document I linked to:

ZF automatic transmissions are filled with specially developed semi-synthetic oils.
At very high operating temperatures, the oil ages faster than under normal conditions. Examples:
 Many trips at high speeds.
 Many trips with a trailer in tow.
 Sporty driving.
Depending on the driving style, ZF therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 80 000 to 120 000 km, or after 8 years at the latest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission 'hoot' tsb