A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission 'hoot' tsb

Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission 'hoot' tsb

Hi guys.
So, at 52k miles my tiptronic has developed a 'hoot' sound while up and downshifting 3-4th. It shifts completely fine and there are no codes.
There is a tsb for this that suggests replacing tranny fluid with a blue or green newer fluid, and updating the software (apparently, this is required with the newer fluid). Also, the tsb calks for replacing fluid three (!) times. I have seen posts stating this costs over 1k bucks.
My question is this...since the tsb does not mention consequences for not performing this, does anyone know if there are any?
Like I said, there are no other symptoms like slipping or shutter, and the 'hoot' (don't laugh) only happens from time to time...
any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, tried to edit for typos, but can't figure out how,,
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default at 52k miles? I've read many posts with the fluid changed

and none of them have definite fix. I don't even know what "hoot" sounds like and I hope I never have to hear it... I would sell the car if my trannie gives me any kind of problems because I haven't seen any problems with trannie was actually fixed by anyone, even the dealers. People spent tons of money and still had to sell the car.

Good luck and hope you fix yours, it will be the first successful fix that I know of.

Louis
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Do a regular fluid change first and go from there. It will probably fix it.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
and none of them have definite fix. I don't even know what "hoot" sounds like and I hope I never have to hear it... I would sell the car if my trannie gives me any kind of problems because I haven't seen any problems with trannie was actually fixed by anyone, even the dealers. People spent tons of money and still had to sell the car.

Good luck and hope you fix yours, it will be the first successful fix that I know of.

Louis
This the biggest bunch of nonsense I've heard in a long time, and moreover, you suggest pawning off your problem to an unsuspecting new owner so you can sleep better at night? Great morality there, buddy.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

To actually answer this question, there is a TSB out there to fix this, and yes, it does work. The TSB involved a switch to the blue 6+ fluid, along with a new firmware version for the transmission.

Many people have done a simple pan drop and filter/ refill with the gold "regular" 6 fluid and have had success with that.

If you go about actually doing the TSB, it gets quite expensive, since you need at least 2 drain/ fill cycles to get all of the old fluid out.

For the record, the "hoot" does not indicate anything is wrong with your transmission- it's just an annoyance.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Flush it with regular fluid for way cheaper first. See if it fixes it. Then if it doesn't go the pricey route and spend 2k on the bs trans flush with blue or newer green fluid
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks to all. I will try a regular pan drop, filter and fluid change first and go from there!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on Audi/ZF fluid vs Ravenol?
Blauparts offers a kit with Ravenol ATF, plus filter and assorted hardware for about 250 bucks, if memory serves.
I'm a German expat, but don't remember the Ravenol brand at all.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I've only seen nothing fixed with these blue oil change

Originally Posted by bmwm750
This the biggest bunch of nonsense I've heard in a long time, and moreover, you suggest pawning off your problem to an unsuspecting new owner so you can sleep better at night? Great morality there, buddy.
To me, I only give advice to do something that COSTS money to someone if I've fixed it myself with the same problem, if not, it's extremely irresponsible of me to do so. I've searched and read all A8 transmission problems since D2 to D3 and all savvy people always talked about changing the oil.

Now, Audi lies to people driving A8 without BLUE oil? How many are there? How many actually have replaced the blue oil? If it's a design issue, should it be recalled? Or "hooting" is just a sign of a "slightly DEFECTIVE" transmission?

<a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5140452-Clutch-release-noise-chirp-squeak-hooo">I found this thread on 6 speed manual hooting problem</a>, and it is explained by mechanical stuff... It's more understandable to me, yes, we have automatic transmission, but the operation is the same. Now, you are going to fix it with some blue oil and some software update? Yes, it could be done by using the software to patch the way the transmission shift to avoid the "HOOTING" problem. It's still defective or I call "walking wounded".

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24526098#post24526098">How much money did this person spent before he dumped his car thanks to all transmission oil changes and even blue one recommendation?</a>

Yes, I do sound pessimistic, but logical and practical. Show me a thread that a "hooting" or transmission thumbing was fixed with transmission oil change?

***I thought Audi transmissions are life time - No oil change required*** is it only with D3 that we have to change oil?

I do hope g8trgrad fixes his problem and I really hope he will update the progress. I don't have hooting, but I'm sure one day, I'll feel or hear one, and if $1000 is to really fix it, I would pay.

Cheers,

Louis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission 'hoot' tsb