A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS Issues

Last spring I had a new set of tires installed. I replaced the TPMS sensors at the same time with a set from OEWheelsllc. The car recognized the sensors and all was good. Recently when I display the tire pressures all I see is blank lines- for all five tires. The system is not throwing a fault and once I got the readings back by doing a reset(change tires option), but yesterday that did not work. Any ideas what the issue might be?

Last edited by enGage; 11-23-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

it will take a while for the readings to come back... At least 25 miles of driving.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by enGage
Last spring I had a new set of tires installed. I replaced the TPMS sensors at the same time with a set from OEWheelsllc. The car recognized the sensors and all was good. Recently when I display the tire pressures all I see is blank lines- for all five tires. The system is not throwing a fault and once I got the readings back by doing a reset(change tires option), but yesterday that did not work. Any ideas what the issue might be?
That happened to me once (for now) with same sensors. Could be that difference between OEM and this price.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, but why no fault detected? The ECU should throw a code if it can't read the sensors.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not that it isn't reading it; it is getting new values. As mishar said it takes a while of driving. Just ignore it for now and check it in a few days. The car throws a fault when it sees that one is dead or has low air pressure. It is still initializing, give them time.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
It's not that it isn't reading it; it is getting new values. As mishar said it takes a while of driving. Just ignore it for now and check it in a few days. The car throws a fault when it sees that one is dead or has low air pressure. It is still initializing, give them time.
OK, I stopped to fuel up today and decided to hit the TPMS reset (change tires) and take a long drive. Sure enough at around 15 miles into the drive the tire pressures show up. Most of our trip are short so I'm thinking one of us must have hit the tire change and never given the car enough time to recognize the monitors. I'm happy and close the MMI. just before I got home - about 8 miles later, I open the MMI and display the tire pressures - all dashes again.

I've don't know much about TPMS systems, but I image that each sensor has a unique ID and when tires are changed it takes awhile for the car to figure out which sensor belongs to which wheel. But, what would cause the car to loose that information without throwing a fault?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are 4(5) sensors with their own batteries, 4 antennas, wiring and TPMS Module. Most likely it is one of sensors but only VCDS or VAS can tell.

By the way, no need for Change Tires function when one change tires. System will just pick up new signals and go on.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Most likely it is one of sensors but only VCDS or VAS can tell.
Agreed.

Double check the frequencies are all correct and take a look at the TPMS battery life measuring block as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

No need to check the frequencies, the 5 new sensors worked fine for the first 6 months and work intermittently now. If one or more had a falling battery the others would still read and the ecu would throw a code. This is what happened with the oem sensors and why I replaced them. I'll give it more time and then decide if I bring it to the dealer or love with it.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That will cost you at least $2000. They will replace all 5 sensors with OEM's, $150 each, plus few other components until they find what's wrong. It is cheaper to find what's wrong yourself. It's more fun too.

Quick Reply: TPMS Issues