A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to say goodbye... :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to say goodbye... :(

I've had my 04' A8L for 3 years now, and added another 45,000 miles to her since having her. Loved it like a child, even when she had multiple costly issues. Replaced the entire suspension, new alignment, and I thought everything was fine.

The problem is now the Oil Cooler needs replaced, oil has gotten into the coolant and coolant into the oil. Audi has said to fix it all is going to cost me almost as much as the car is worth.

So my question and thoughts are a few things.

1. Does anyone know anything about changing the oil cooler that would help my dilemma, any advice or help is appreciated.
2. I'm considering just selling it as is to anyone who wants it as a parts car or to fix it up and have them a nice car on their hands. If I were to sell it, is there somewhere on this forum to do that, or does anyone have a suggestion on where to sell it other than Ebay?

I hate to let her go, I love the car and everything about it but the repair cost (which I knew about getting into it) I'm just done putting money into it and ready to move on to something else. Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!

James
Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So sad but I'd bet you'll find an answer that'll work for you. GL
Old 12-17-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is not all that tragic. Oil filter housing can be removed and replaced or resealed without removing engine. Just not at dealer. Check this tread. There are some others but I couldn't find them right now. They just removed alternator in order to get access.

Last edited by mishar; 12-17-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It is not all that tragic. Oil filter housing can be removed and replaced or resealed without removing engine. Just not at dealer. Check this tread. There are some others but I couldn't find them right now. They just removed alternator in order to get access.
Audi and other mechanics that work on Audis said the whole engine would have to taken out, which was the big cost factor. I really don't have the means (tools or know how) to tackle this job myself, not to mention being in Ohio working when my home base is in Texas. So no tools or access to major infrastructure like lifts and what not.

Mishar, any thoughts on my second question about selling it and walking away?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Just to clarify it's the oil cooler, not the oil filter housing. Didn't think those were the same things just wanted to be sure.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Oil cooler/filter housing - Same assembly

It's the same assembly that needs to be removed and it can be done without pulling the motor per the thread linked to.

The usual problem is a small plastic pipe cracks and causes a coolant leak. Oil cooler core failure causing cross contamination, has to be said is not a problem I've heard of before with the A8. If you genuinely do have coolant and oil mixing in both systems I'd want to be doing head gasket failure diagnostics as the symptoms are similar.

Anyway, assuming it's not HGF and confirmed as the oil cooler, it's not an easy job but at the same time not impossible. A knowledgable independent mechanic (stay away from the dealer as they just rinse you for stuff like this and don't have the retained expertise) can get it done in about 8hrs plus parts so $1000-$1200 tops.

Only you know what makes sense for you but if the rest of the car is in good shape, the "cost of replacement" when you're trading in a car with "coolant in the oil" will cost you a heck of a lot more than the repair cost.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I junked a Porsche 928S4 '89 Sport seats, great shape but with oil in the coolant. I bought the car specifically to part out, in the back of my mind thought well..... It sure ran great. But OMG the headache of oil friggin' floating everywhere. It was the head gasket in the end but not 100% convinced. Crappy mineral-infested water (Japan) creeped the head gasket, some evidence of that, but not conclusive imo. So much so I had the heads sent out for inspection and testing, came back good (no cracks). I still have the radiator, with oil exchanger in there (could also be tested). Otherwise all hardware was fantastically mint - only 60K miles. Total retail of all parts sold was easy $20K+. (Paid $6K for car) still have $5K in parts left too, & getting around to putting them up on ebay. Drove my wife bonkers even though we have a dedicated shop... "all these parts #*$&#*#&". But they will sell. Had to scrap the big items

Bottom line - I'll leave the answer with the owner of audiparts of cali "I just jump in another one"
Old 12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
It's the same assembly that needs to be removed and it can be done without pulling the motor per the thread linked to.

The usual problem is a small plastic pipe cracks and causes a coolant leak. Oil cooler core failure causing cross contamination, has to be said is not a problem I've heard of before with the A8. If you genuinely do have coolant and oil mixing in both systems I'd want to be doing head gasket failure diagnostics as the symptoms are similar.

Anyway, assuming it's not HGF and confirmed as the oil cooler, it's not an easy job but at the same time not impossible. A knowledgable independent mechanic (stay away from the dealer as they just rinse you for stuff like this and don't have the retained expertise) can get it done in about 8hrs plus parts so $1000-$1200 tops.

Only you know what makes sense for you but if the rest of the car is in good shape, the "cost of replacement" when you're trading in a car with "coolant in the oil" will cost you a heck of a lot more than the repair cost.
I think Dave is right. It is most likely one of cylinder head gaskets.

I can't help you with ways to sell or price.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave

I want to get a second opinion from another source, but the mechanic that looked at it originally seemed pretty sure and honest that it was the oil cooler. I know there is oil in the coolant because I can see it, and he claimed the coolant is getting into the oil system, hence the oil cooler failing and cross contaminating, so, I know its not just a coolant leak so pretty sure not the plastic pipe.

My new thought is to sell the parts off of it and sell it that way. Should I post another thread on that? Is there another area of the AudiWorld forums to do something like that, or another site or group you guys may know that would be helpful? The cost of repair is getting close to if not higher than the value of the vehicle, so it's really not making sense to fix it anymore.

Thanks for all your advice people!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I replaced my oil cooler, it cost me 1500 to get done, not as much as you think.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye... :(