A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about upgrading my exhaust, need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about upgrading my exhaust, need some advise

I am lookin for a bit more growl from my exhause but I'm nt sure where to start, I dont want anything to loud when I'm driving normal but makes a bit of noise when I get on it.
I was thinking of just going with a custom exhaust but I dont know what I would need, (just the mufflers and tips, or do I need more)
are the exhause systems on a8's stanless steele?

does anyone have a pic of the under side of an a8l?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they are stainless. Short of a complete custom job there probably are not many options. It's mostly one piece custom underneath the car...there is no real good way to put an aftermarket system on it..It would take a bit of custom work to make it work. If you got enough money anything possible, but how much do you want to spend.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
Yes they are stainless. Short of a complete custom job there probably are not many options. It's mostly one piece custom underneath the car...there is no real good way to put an aftermarket system on it..It would take a bit of custom work to make it work. If you got enough money anything possible, but how much do you want to spend.

I'm not really looking to spend all that much, that's why I just figured I could toss a few mufflers on it. A friend of mine has a shop with a tig welder so it might be an option unless there is just not that much room for the mufflers?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cheap way of doing it will produce a cheap result. Another member a while back wanted a more throaty exhaust and went a way of spending $$$$. I say skip it, your not going to get a good result from swapping one or two parts.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I worked on a 07 S8 this week, it had Milltek exhaust and it sounded wicked. Check them out
Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I don't want it to soud cheap, but I don't have a fortune to spend either.

I talked to a friend with a shop and he said that removing the resonator would make it more throaty with out spending a fortune. I know it will make it louder but I don't want drone either, what I need are some sound clips. Aren't the motors in the rs4 the same 4.2 just tuned a bit?
I might be able to get some info from those guys, what do you all think?

I love the milltek but there out of my price range.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Although I don't have any direct experience with Milltek, they are mentioned often in this (and other) forum, and always good things are said. The reviews I've read online are all pretty glowing too.

Carry on...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JP19640_0
I am lookin for a bit more growl from my exhause but I'm nt sure where to start, I dont want anything to loud when I'm driving normal but makes a bit of noise when I get on it.
I was thinking of just going with a custom exhaust but I dont know what I would need, (just the mufflers and tips, or do I need more)
are the exhause systems on a8's stanless steele?

does anyone have a pic of the under side of an a8l?
Yeah I understand what you want cause I want the same thing. I didnt do any work to my exhaust yet though. I did go by a custom exhaust shop and the guy put it on a lift. He said we have 2.5in stainless steel. He said there was no reason to get a catback exhaust cause the piping is good already. He recommended losing the resonator and adding a flow master muffler. I told him it was a NO go. I dont want that my car sounding like a mustang or nothing and I dont want drone. I know removing the resonator I will get that. He was going to charge around 600 for the job. I havent went back but I am still looking for a way to get the sound I want.

I was riding next to a Mercedes S65 in New York on the Belt parkway last year. It was quiet at first, then I got the guy to get on it. It had a nice growl that I am looking for.

So let me know what you find. I want to do the same to mines.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
Yeah I understand what you want cause I want the same thing. I didnt do any work to my exhaust yet though. I did go by a custom exhaust shop and the guy put it on a lift. He said we have 2.5in stainless steel. He said there was no reason to get a catback exhaust cause the piping is good already. He recommended losing the resonator and adding a flow master muffler. I told him it was a NO go. I dont want that my car sounding like a mustang or nothing and I dont want drone. I know removing the resonator I will get that. He was going to charge around 600 for the job. I havent went back but I am still looking for a way to get the sound I want.

I was riding next to a Mercedes S65 in New York on the Belt parkway last year. It was quiet at first, then I got the guy to get on it. It had a nice growl that I am looking for.

So let me know what you find. I want to do the same to mines.

thats exactly what I'm looking for, I dont know if changing just the mufflers would do it? I dont want it to sound like a mustang either thats why I'm kinda scared to remove the resonator.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JP19640_0
thats exactly what I'm looking for, I dont know if changing just the mufflers would do it? I dont want it to sound like a mustang either thats why I'm kinda scared to remove the resonator.
I am scared to remove my resonator also. I am just hoping to do the mufflers and thats it.

Do you have any type of mufflers in mind? I dont plan or dont want to removed the resonators. I like it quiet in the car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about upgrading my exhaust, need some advise