A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there two versions of the upper control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thee is a lot of "Garbage" out there that may last for 10-20K miles, see here for an example. The last purchase I made from Rock Auto had OE Lemforder parts on their price listings. When I received the parts I double checked and they were Made In Germany. I had previously ordered some Lemforder parts from another outfit and I am pretty sure they had the "Made In China" stamp ground off.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 03-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Their house brand is garbage, Meyle HD stuff is solid.
Nope. Seen way too many Meyle parts fall apart after 20k.

For these cars, either OEM or TRUE OEM supplier (i.e. TRW), or UPGRADED aftermarket. All of the off brand stuff is just garbage.

Given how much work and PITA most of these parts are to swap out, it's just not worth trying to save a buck here or there to only do the job again in short order.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

The Karlyn website claims they're made in the USA, NY state.

I have been involved in manufacturing and can attest this "Made In USA" can be an endorsement or a warning.

I am sure the OEM are superior, but I might try the Karlyn, because I like to support US manufacturing AND because I'm cheap.

I will try to find any AW sponsors who sell them, though. Hate to endorse FCP since they are not yet sponsors. I really wish they were, because I just found this on their site (!)

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Almost hard to believe. And no small print that excludes DIY-installed parts...

-Tom
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I could not find any credible information about A8 S8 bushing differences, except the price. Can you pass the link where we can find this?
This information comes from Carson, an Audi Parts Person, former Audi service adviser and avid diy'er. I (and many others)did this with my A4, it's definitely stiffer.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
The Karlyn website claims they're made in the USA, NY state.

I have been involved in manufacturing and can attest this "Made In USA" can be an endorsement or a warning.

I am sure the OEM are superior, but I might try the Karlyn, because I like to support US manufacturing AND because I'm cheap.

I will try to find any AW sponsors who sell them, though. Hate to endorse FCP since they are not yet sponsors. I really wish they were, because I just found this on their site (!)

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Almost hard to believe. And no small print that excludes DIY-installed parts...

-Tom
I could give two SH$Ts about the "warranty," as I have no interest in doing the job over again because of poor quality parts. I'm not sure what your time is worth, but I sure as hell have better things to do than do jobs twice to "save" a few bucks up front.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

As far as site sponsors go, that line of thinking is tainted as Blau Parts is a sponsor here and, well, er, umm, hmm; search threads for their timing belt kit horror stories. All parts marketed as OEM. Borderline fraud imo.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmwm750

For these cars, either OEM or TRUE OEM supplier (i.e. TRW), or UPGRADED aftermarket. All of the off brand stuff is just garbage.

Given how much work and PITA most of these parts are to swap out, it's just not worth trying to save a buck here or there to only do the job again in short order.
My set of authentic lemforder sway bar links were made in china (as per the box). I've had several meyle parts made in germany, turkey and hungary, so YMMV... buying the cheapest thing out there generally means bad news.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Learning something everyday

Originally Posted by bmwm750

I opened the box with the Meyle front rotors. Meyle Platinum line, 360 mm. The country if origin is not on the rotors, but the box is labeled as Made in China.
I opened the rear rotors and they are the same. The pads were made in Canada.
Should have known that 350.00 delivered would not buy a new set of West German Meyle rotors and pads. The Blauparts OEM front rotors and pads are a lot more expensive.
I will try and find OEM bushings for the control arms with a few more miles.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
As far as site sponsors go, that line of thinking is tainted as Blau Parts is a sponsor here and, well, er, umm, hmm; search threads for their timing belt kit horror stories. All parts marketed as OEM. Borderline fraud imo.
I know, and agree. But I try to buy from site sponsors when I can.

I seem to remember a picture of the A8 rubber bushing which had a sort of groove while the S8 was a solid rubber bushing. I may be thinking of something else, though.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Karlyn catalog, page 12, they post the same part number for both A8 and S8 front upper control arms (difference for L and R, of course).

http://www.karlynsti.com/2012%20Stee...%20Catalog.pdf

Quick Reply: Are there two versions of the upper control arms?