A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUSPENSION DROPPED....HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUSPENSION DROPPED....HELP !!!

Wah Gwan AudiWorld, im new to this but i heard it was a great forum for Audi info, i just purchased my 2005 Audi A8L two months ago, it has 77k on it. Well recently ive had a problem with the suspension lights blinking and the front will be dropped to the ground. IDK what to do, sometimes if i drive for a bit and let it sit, i can raise it but itll eventually lower itself again. It just started to get uneven to where its low on passenger side. I was told that the weather can play in effect because im at MCAS Yuma and the weather is always dry and above 100 but recently we had rain and thats when it happened. What should i do?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rastafaristandsalone
Wah Gwan AudiWorld, im new to this but i heard it was a great forum for Audi info, i just purchased my 2005 Audi A8L two months ago, it has 77k on it. Well recently ive had a problem with the suspension lights blinking and the front will be dropped to the ground. IDK what to do, sometimes if i drive for a bit and let it sit, i can raise it but itll eventually lower itself again. It just started to get uneven to where its low on passenger side. I was told that the weather can play in effect because im at MCAS Yuma and the weather is always dry and above 100 but recently we had rain and thats when it happened. What should i do?
I just recently had the same issue with my 2006 A8L. The passenger side strut probably has a leak. If you let the problem persist to long it will wear out your air compressor, which is what happen to me. My suggestion to you is to locate the leak in the air lines to that strut, if no leaks are found than the strut has an internal leak and needs to be replaced.

Search this forum for air suspension problems. There is a wealth of knowledge on this issue.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have 4 things lol
1) Your car is fly as hell
2) That jordan pic is funny
3) I see you stay in columbia,my little brother is a gamecock, pharoh cooper, rising freshman #13. We're from NC but im stationed in yuma now
4) How expensive is this action i will be doing? I have some mechanic friends (for aircraft) and they say any car can be fixed and its not expensive, a car is a car. Its just parts a re expensive. And how will i look for this leak? What does it look like ?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 4 things lol
1) Your car is fly as hell
2) That jordan pic is funny
3) I see you stay in columbia,my little brother is a gamecock, pharoh cooper, rising freshman #13. We're from NC but im stationed in yuma now
4) How expensive is this action i will be doing? I have some mechanic friends (for aircraft) and they say any car can be fixed and its not expensive, a car is a car. Its just parts a re expensive. And how will i look for this leak? What does it look like ?
Here is a link to my thread on my issue which is very similar to yours. unfortenatly there is no cheap fix for this issue.
Thank for the compliment and GO *****!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2849108
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OEM part is $1800, there is an aftermarket retailer which sells rebuilt units for about half that if you ship your old one back to them. As stated above, if it is one or both air struts, it is not a quick fix. I just had it done at a dealer (both front struts) and it was about $5000 with labor. Luckily it was covered under my warranty, so only cost me $250. Perhaps your aircraft engineers have some ideas. I know there is a place out here in NYC that replaced the air bladder inside them with a stronger one, but I don't know what they charge, so there are ways around a new unit, but again, it's typically a pretty involved job.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by boz151
OEM part is $1800, there is an aftermarket retailer which sells rebuilt units for about half that if you ship your old one back to them. As stated above, if it is one or both air struts, it is not a quick fix. I just had it done at a dealer (both front struts) and it was about $5000 with labor. Luckily it was covered under my warranty, so only cost me $250. Perhaps your aircraft engineers have some ideas. I know there is a place out here in NYC that replaced the air bladder inside them with a stronger one, but I don't know what they charge, so there are ways around a new unit, but again, it's typically a pretty involved job.
This is ridiculous lol guess they werent lying when they said it cost to be the boss.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is ridiculous lol guess they werent lying when they said it cost to be the boss.
You can get a rebuilt strut from Arnott or Mercedes Tech for about $600. I replaced my rear fairly easy, I can't imagine the front being that more difficult. I would also recommend getting the Bentley manual for you car. It gives step by step instructions on replacing things like this.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snatchman
You can get a rebuilt strut from Arnott or Mercedes Tech for about $600. I replaced my rear fairly easy, I can't imagine the front being that more difficult. I would also recommend getting the Bentley manual for you car. It gives step by step instructions on replacing things like this.
I think i found where it is, in my front passeneger side, infront of the tire, behind the little black piece i hear a hissing sound. its not the compressor because thats beside the tire by the tire rod or something, but i plan on taking the tire off and removing that black panel , maybe its a bag?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I changed my 04 Audi A8 from Air Suspension to Shocks and Struts. Cost was $1395. This was for front and back and the ride is amazing. Plus the savings and the parts have a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kfriedm36
I changed my 04 Audi A8 from Air Suspension to Shocks and Struts. Cost was $1395. This was for front and back and the ride is amazing. Plus the savings and the parts have a lifetime warranty.
Glad you have your problem solved. I may look at that option later on down the road.

Quick Reply: SUSPENSION DROPPED....HELP !!!