A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start/Stop Button Upgrade

Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
So they come in both silver and black?
Yes they do come with the one I have(black/silver). The old stock one is not made anymore.

"I looked over my car on the way home. The ashtray has been replaced with the volume **** of the sub. There is no torqx head screw.
Do I just lift the trim off the MMI controls to get access the the start button? "

Yes you do panelhead. Once you hit the ashtray release button next to the Cig lighter and the tray pops out. There is supposed to be a T25 torx screw there. If its not there like you said the wood trim just pops up. Just be careful not to take the tiny metal fasteners out with it on the console. If they do you can put them back in and disconnect everything attached to it and out the car it goes.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, it's started fine last few times but will keep an eye on it. I'd love to get the new switches for sure.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2k6blacka8
If you guys have any questions on how to do it feel free to ask.
Can you go into a little more detail here:

You stated
Yes you do. Just pop out the ashtray and the cover should pop right out. Be very careful with the clips and the wiring and there are 2 screws holding up the start/stop button.
then another member said

There is a torx screw that has to taken out when you take out the ashtray. Also there is a gold pin that goes across the start switch that has to be taken out.
Can elaborate. If I am reading this correctly you are popping the ashtray out and removing the torx screw. From there you can remove the ashtray housing. At this point you should be able to remove the black cover seen in our photo.

From there you can access the control start/stop unit and remove the gold pin freeing it. Replace the unit insert pin. Snap the black trim into place and then reinstall the ashtray.

Am I missing anything? I assume the procedure is the same for a 2008?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep. You are missing something. After removing ashtray you take out all wooden module (very easy) and access all you need from behind.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Yep. You are missing something. After removing ashtray you take out all wooden module (very easy) and access all you need from behind.
Ok so the entire wooden trim piece comes out with the black trim pieces still intact. Has anyone ever successfully painted or touched up these buttons instead of buying a $100 set which will eventually peel the same way?

Last edited by rellascout; 07-07-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rellascout
Ok so the entire wooden trim piece comes out with the black trim pieces still intact. Has anyone ever successfully painted or touched up these buttons instead of buying a $100 set which will eventually peel the same way?
Yes everything except for the gear shifter indicator will come up as one piece and like mishar says you can access what you want from underneath. It's best to disconnect everything and take it all the way out and put it in the table so that way you wont scratch anything else in the car.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone ever successfully painted or touched up these buttons instead of buying a $100 set which will eventually peel the same way?
Not that I am aware of, but many of us would be happy to find the way to do it.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Waiting for the new start button to arrive from AudiUSAParts

I wish. The only button that looks BAD is the driver door lock button. It is the only lock that does not unlock automatically after stopping the engine. I looked with the VCDS for a setting to auto this door like the other three. The soft finish was gone when I got the car.
My "ashtray" is not an ashtray. It is a panel with a switch and level **** for the subwoofer. The switch is for the DVD player add on. I pulled it out, but did not find a Torx head screw. I will look again. Hard to believe this one screw and some metal clips is all that holds the MMI control unit in.
I ran a scan this weekend after it not starting on the first push a couple times and there was a code shown. I hope replacing the start button fixes this small issue.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

What about laser cut stickers. You could do a sheet which could include other buttons. Similar to these. A good vinyl sticker with a uv coating should hold up better than the OEM surface.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had limited success touching up the wear marks with plasti dip. Just dip the wear marks with a tiny little brush.