A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right side hinge broke in half today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default right side hinge broke in half today...

there was some ice covering the deck lid today. I dont know if it was the extra weight or what that caused it to break. Anyone else have this happen?

I thought the motor has a clutch that would slip before it would break a hinge, even with the upgraded higher torque motor.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's good to know that it might happen. That all design was poor. Tiny aluminum hinges and week motor on one side. Cold weather just weakened that hinge. Patching it with a stronger motor made it work better, but they should improve the right hinge too. Or may be they did? Is it stronger on models with a stronger motor? We should check part numbers.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default It was updated for both hinges and motor over time...

IIRC, it was updated not just for the motor but also the hinges, particularly the early builds like yours. Look at the old TSB's on it; there are several. You would have to go thru your car's history to see which were done; if any were "service actions" (aka recalls), maybe you could still get it done?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes there are updated hinges. When you order the hinge, you will get the updated hinges so I would recommend getting both sides.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default And...paint.

IIRC, they have to be painted too. You can get pre-matched paint in a rocker can from places like autopaintscratch for a DIY. Or you could buy used on eBay, if you either diligence they are post-rev. and in the right color, or you just want a cheap match and would take the pre rev ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When?

Originally Posted by TSHong
Yes there are updated hinges. When you order the hinge, you will get the updated hinges so I would recommend getting both sides.
Called the Audi dealer today and parts guy says he shows the same part number for the right side hinge from 03-10. Do you have more specific info about a revised hinge part number or year?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Called the Audi dealer today and parts guy says he shows the same part number for the right side hinge from 03-10. Do you have more specific info about a revised hinge part number or year?
My ETKA says the same but it can be already new number for older MY too.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the hinges replaced early on (2006) under warranty and TSB. I don't know if they were of an updated design though. I still have the original motor though. I do lubricate the hinges after every washing.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The hinges should be the updated ones. Once a part gets superseded, the old ones are no longer used.

I just ordered a new start stop switch because I wanted the silver button one that came on MY 08 and later. The part number was the same for all D3s because can it confused us. You can only get the silver buttoned start stop switch now.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default more info on part numbers...

Originally Posted by tjf
I had the hinges replaced early on (2006) under warranty and TSB. I don't know if they were of an updated design though. I still have the original motor though. I do lubricate the hinges after every washing.
I looked on eBay for a hinge and saw the part number that the dealer had given me , except there was a revision letter; an'F'. So I called the dealer back and ran the part number and letter.

When he looked that up he was able to see that the original hinge fitted to the A8 in 04 was 9E0 827 300 D (right side even numbers) and now the its an 'H' revision.

I could have gotten the pair of 'F' hinges for $50 but I found a pair from a 2008 for $130 and decided to spend the extra in case there was some sort of change to the...I'm assuming 'H'... hinge to make it more compatable with the stronger motor as Mishar speculated.

The salvage yard didnt know the part number but I ran the VIN and the car was built in FEB 2008 so it was not an early car from late 2007. Unfortunately I dont know what revision is in my car since operating the deck lid is impossible. I wont find out what I have until I R&R the new hinges. Most of the Platinum Beige cars like mine were 04 and 05 so there was not a set of 08 hinges that color available and I got black instead.

The real bummer is that when the deck lid got so racked by the chaged geometry of the broken hinge the deck lid caught on the qtr tail light and broke it and that will be more expensive than the hinges.

Quick Reply: right side hinge broke in half today...