A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, why not an S Class.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, why not an S Class.

After talking cars with folks I know, the subject of the "next car" came up. From the A8 they assumed my next logical step would be a Mercedes. I've found the A8 to be an exceptional car warts and all, so I was curious why others did not go the S Class route, or maybe moved to Audi after owning a Mercedes.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default If you were here in Silicon Valley tech land, both would be a non-compute

...toward the higher end of the non-exotics. Instead, Tesla is all the rage--way outselling the heavy German sedans. A8 and 7 series and S are so...last year. That would be of course before the 20 nanosecond half life of the Maserati that sandwiched in between on the quasi annual what's hot switch. If it's the "wife's"/soccer mom's car on the higher end, that is stereotypically either the Tesla or the GL this fashion season. I found the 2015 Product Information book for the D4 almost laughable when they seemed so thoroughly to be focused on the market of a few years ago or other arenas as their go forward competition here. I expect the SoCal market is similar; would be interested in what's happening/changing in their oft #1 U.S. big sedan market with the FL crowd.

And yes, in a year or two it will be probably something else locally TBD.

No worries though--tells me the resale market for used big Audis (and the others) will continue to drop like the proverbial rock. Might get to that post refresh 2015 D4 A8 4.0T/S8 or even W12 with the various tweaks...circa 2017. Or maybe just pass all the way to the D5's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-15-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I would consider an S-class, but it would have to be a 4-matic for obvious reasons so ruling out only the very latest AMG models. Although an S550 is no slouch either way.

Used S classes are also generally more expensive like for like than A8's and have a very different image. For example you are much more likely to see an abused ghetto style s class than you are an A8. Although some "look at my new ride" posts on here are beginning to disprove that one
Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A8 vs S class

I believe the A8 image is different than the S class. IMO most of the Audi (& BMW, VW) owners are more enthusiast engineering types versus the image portrayed by the S class owners. You're probably more likely to see a lowered, modified A8 than S Class because of the engineering aspects and the pop culture effect of owning one. A8 appeals more toward a different crowd that includes younger drivers who prefer bigger wheels and bling on new and older model A8's. They also enjoy attending meet and greet events to share the Audi culture with fellow audi owners. This is very similar to the BMW owners from my experience.

Benz owners are completely different. To me it is more of a statement car (well engineered but designed for a different experience) instead of the culture based buyer like Audi. I equate this to a Mac owner vs. a PC owner. I would much rather own A8 over the S because everyone in my neighborhood has the S class and rarely do you see A8's. However when you see them, everyone is looking just like when I originally purchased my MacBook Pro, everyone talked about awesome the machine is but continued to buy PC's because that is what everyone else does. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am 37, had the top line CL AMG and aside from the terrific engine hated just about everything else. Yes it was a beautiful car and turned heads but the quality disappointed. After 9 months, traded it for an A8L and never looked back. When my company forced me into a corporate car I sold the A8 and always knew I would want another. Last year renegotiated my deal for a car allowance... take a beating owning a w12 but could not be happier. Audi still sux with cup holders but the Merc was worse.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Crisis3
After talking cars with folks I know, the subject of the "next car" came up. From the A8 they assumed my next logical step would be a Mercedes. I've found the A8 to be an exceptional car warts and all, so I was curious why others did not go the S Class route, or maybe moved to Audi after owning a Mercedes.
Long-time Mercedes fan, but having owned all of the German high-end makes over time, I do not look at the S-Class as a logical next step. The S550 strikes me as a non-enthusiast's aspirational vehicle, and, by way of execution (some quality control issues notwithstanding) a fine and sensible example of just that.

The AMG versions, in turn, seem misguided, perhaps out of necessity. It is difficult for Mercedes to position them as ultra versions of the S550, as that diminishes the aspirational nature of the company's standard bearer luxury sedan. Little room, then, to define them (a la Maybach) as an hyperpowered ultra car like Rolls Royce or Bentley. So they slot in (or up) as more flat-out, quixotic, performance vehicles. I guess I miss the appeal of such absurdly powered, staid vehicles where the accent is not on the luxury aspects (like the S600s, Rolls, Bentley and Maybach).

A hyperpowered Lexus LS (if such a thing were developed, which I doubt) would strike a similar discordant tone. The older S55 struck a better balance, as it seemed a bit more lythe like an A8/S8 and left room for the then contemporaneous S600s and even fully-loaded S500s (such as they were -- that vintage S-class otherwise seemed wanting as a luxury line compared to most of those that came before and after).

The Audi A8 (including the W12) and S8 cars seem more comfortable in their skin, and, save for the occasional bland exterior impression (more a D4 issue) better combine performance (engineering) and flagship luxury. We just bought an S8 V10, and the short wheelbase proportions, sport suspension, aluminum frame and body, and "Lamboghaudi" power plant just all seem to work harmoniously and put a huge smile on my face. Among all the other vehicles we considered, the S-class never entered the conversation, and given our youthful affect (delusional or not) likely never will.

As a Merceds fan, I always had aspired to an AMG model, but, at least since the S55, leaned toward the CL series in that vein. I still like those, but the AMG versions drink fuel like water and we have a sweet 911 for that duty in any event. The S8 quenches my thirst for the tuner-Teutonic, in any event, so I probably will keep it for as long as it runs and then replace it with another spiffed-up Audi.

The A8 class seems to stake out a spot somewhere between the MB/BMW realm and the Porsche Panamera, residing a bit closer in spirit to the latter. I also treasure the under-the-radar nature of the car. I know the 7series cars have lots of fans and do many things well, but the bangled and bulbous styling cues and movement way from the call of the original (stick shift-offered) 735's all have left me cold on that car line.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
I would consider an S-class, but it would have to be a 4-matic for obvious reasons so ruling out only the very latest AMG models. Although an S550 is no slouch either way.

Used S classes are also generally more expensive like for like than A8's and have a very different image. For example you are much more likely to see an abused ghetto style s class than you are an A8. Although some "look at my new ride" posts on here are beginning to disprove that one
You're not talking about MY ride, are you?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jatp
You're not talking about MY ride, are you?
Bwahaha matte purple!? Sets off the gold wheels nicely!

In answer to the OP's question,

1) I LOVE the D3 (Pre-FL)'s styling, and the Benz is ugly to me.

2) Mercedes = ostentatious, sorry but that's how they're perceived. Had one, and people treat you differently - notin a good way necessarily...

3) Audi interior is more to my taste. Now MB is catching up with fiber optic and indirect lighting but in 2004 Audi was way ahead.

4) quattro FTW ! (I know MB has 4-spastic but...)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Bwahaha matte purple!? Sets off the gold wheels nicely!

In answer to the OP's question,

1) I LOVE the D3 (Pre-FL)'s styling, and the Benz is ugly to me.

2) Mercedes = ostentatious, sorry but that's how they're perceived. Had one, and people treat you differently - notin a good way necessarily...

3) Audi interior is more to my taste. Now MB is catching up with fiber optic and indirect lighting but in 2004 Audi was way ahead.

4) quattro FTW ! (I know MB has 4-spastic but...)
I'm glad you like it. I found this little beauty on autotrader. I know it's hard to believe, but it still hasn't sold yet. As the saying goes, could be yours IF the price is right.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hopefully that is just a wrap on that A6. I can't say never but I probably would never get a S class. Like everyone have commented before, the S class is more for show. I really like to fly under the radar. I like the fact that everyone who pays compliments for D3 are people who are usually affcianados.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, why not an S Class.