Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 230868

Default Saw the strangest thing on MMI screen just for a second...

Some of you may recall that I have virtually the oldest SW version D3 on my car; not exactly by choice but because it's so old I have decided to not risk updating (plus no one has offered me use of the multitude of discs necessary to do it) although I did buy the latest one (it didn't run of course); and some people whose opinion I respect on here have advised me to leave it alone.
Now the odd incident. Bought a new audio CD and popped it into slot #1. Unrecognized disc.
Powered off & on, still nothing, switched to slot #2, still grayed out.
Next day it still didn't work in slot #2. I had time to kill and so I relocated it to slot #6 and it worked! But that's not the weird part.
I then replaced the discs in # 1 and 2; when I went back to play the new one in #6, the MMI screen had the normal "frame" but did not show any info in the frame (IIRC).
I held the volume **** down and shut off the sound system, left it off a minute, and when I pressed "CD/Aux" button (to turn it on) the mmi screen arose with the new Audi logo - all stylish and red, with the stylized smoke horizontal stripe and beautiful "Audi" rings and logo! But only for about one second!
Then it went to the "normal (for me) cd display, and at least the CD played.
I think this car has something unusual going on with the software. I've never seen that resolution display before. It usually looks like 1999ish.
But I still love her. I am thinking of doing the reboot with tel+****+upper right select buttons.

Any thoughts?
-Tom
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Account #: 26081

Default The Audi start screen comes up with a system reboot.

That is the only time you see it--a reboot, whether you force it with the three button CTRL ALT DEL equivalent, or it does one for some spontaneous reason like what happened to you. There is both a regular screen and an S8 screen (on later versions than yours I guess) if you dig into the "hidden" MMI menu stuff.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
There is both a regular screen and an S8 screen (on later versions than yours I guess) if you dig into the "hidden" MMI menu stuff.
Also can be coded with VCDS.

It is a beautiful screen, fancier with animated spotlights on later MMI versions and DIS, but I really like the old one.
Our A6 would show that screen when you "turned on" MMI by holding the volume button.

Old style:
Click the image to open in full size.

New style:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 246426

For what its worth I updated my MMI software to the newest version without problems. I was on something really old as well. I think it was 0600 but its been so long I can't remember...
MN-A8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 230868

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-A8 View Post
For what its worth I updated my MMI software to the newest version without problems. I was on something really old as well. I think it was 0600 but its been so long I can't remember...
Can I have your old discs?

I'll try to find a pic to verify my SW it was 0001 I think lol

Mine normally pops up with the lawyer nag screen and then straight to 1999-ish print. I'll try to remember to take a pic. Thanks for the responses.
-Tom
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 44043

I have known that the start up screen can be changed, I just have not toyed with it yet. Is there any way possible to load your own .jpg .gif file for main screen boot up? That would be really nice.

Chris Knox
President, Wasserwerks
Visit us at Wasserwerks.com or find us on facebook
@wasserwerks for instagram users
1Wasserwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement