A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 camera retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 camera retrofit

Ok guys, I have been collecting some parts to do the 06 camera retrofit. I found a donor A8 2008 and now trying to see what I will need to do the install. I did remove the parts myself with the owner. I have so far the MMI head unit (4E0 035 729 A) the gateway(4LO 907 468) camera controller (4E0 910 441) the OEM rear camera with lights and lock handle, I also pick up a 16" Fakra Jack cable. My first question is do we have " what I'm calling the camera controller" in the car. I just have not looked yet but was wondering? (if we do, the install will be a lot easier)I think. I know it will not have the part number 4E0 910 441 because that as the MMI input (Green) and the camera input(Grey) but do we have that controller. ( It located, in the trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet) I think I have some understanding of how the system work ( somewhat)..LOL . Here are some pic of what I have. Please chime in with any info. Thanks in advance for any input.

Name:  1002131931.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  1002131932a.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  39.5 KB

OEM wiring harness from camera to camera controller.
Name:  1002131932.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Darn, I love your retrofit - 100% OEM, love it

Now start to do real work - drop the glove box - replace both Head unit and the gateway - run the fakra cable from the trunk to the head unit. Go back to the guy and ask him if you can cut the camera controller connector with the wires? He's not going to use the connector and the wiring in the car any how, it will be the best.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am very interested in this mod. How do you find the donor car and if you don't mind, how much did you spend on the components?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by viper04
Ok guys, I have been collecting some parts to do the 06 camera retrofit. I found a donor A8 2008 and now trying to see what I will need to do the install. I did remove the parts myself with the owner. I have so far the MMI head unit (4E0 035 729 A) the gateway(4LO 907 468) camera controller (4E0 910 441) the OEM rear camera with lights and lock handle, I also pick up a 16" Fakra Jack cable. My first question is do we have " what I'm calling the camera controller" in the car. I just have not looked yet but was wondering? (if we do, the install will be a lot easier)I think. I know it will not have the part number 4E0 910 441 because that as the MMI input (Green) and the camera input(Grey) but do we have that controller. ( It located, in the trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet)
You have all right parts. I am not sure about that 16" Fakra cable. Or is it 16'?

You don't have that Camera Control Box on your car. You should have the 54 pin harness for it (nicer than plugging wires directly). It is cheap here, or go back to the guy as advised. If you are buying buy at least 3 pieces (better 6, but they are expensive) of a cable with connectors for that harness. You will need to connect + (pin 43), - (pin 44), camera pin 1 to pin 48 , Camera pin 2 to pin 47, CAN-Bus H (orange/green to pin 40) and CAN-Bus L (orange/brown to pin 39). There is a fuse box there. It would be nice to add a separate 5W fuse for the camera system. CAN-Bus H and L are orange/green and orange/brown wires. You can splice them from the park assist module.

I don't know if you are familiar with glove box. If not, there are three screws going up into the dash board when you open the glove box, two horizontal ones deep inside it covered with little plastic parts, two from the right under that fuse cover and one going up just above the passenger left foot. All screws are Torx. You also have to take off passenger door sill trim, but you have to take both of them on that side in order to fish Fakra cable to the MMI Module. You do not have to unplug airbag or CD changer. Just drop it all to the floor. Wires are long enough.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get a complete harness from Kufatec, for 59 euro. This is what I used on my car, no worry about splicing cables, having fuses etc. It all just plugs in, and is the same as factory.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bangerla
You can also get a complete harness from Kufatec, for 59 euro. This is what I used on my car, no worry about splicing cables, having fuses etc. It all just plugs in, and is the same as factory.
That's interesting. A bit on a expensive side but still interesting. Where do you plug +, -, and CAN-Bus cables?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Used device prices are different - It's dependent upon luck...

Originally Posted by Galco
I am very interested in this mod. How do you find the donor car and if you don't mind, how much did you spend on the components?

Thanks in advance.
It doesn't matter how much he paid now, just go to ebay or junk yard and find those devices with the part number he listed. You can have an idea on how much the total cost would be.

-I paid $100 for my gateway 4L0 907 468 B (+ $100 for 4E0 907 468 F that some posts on the net from "know it all but never done it" recommended).
-$150 for 4E0 910 441.
-I retrofit my 4E0 035 729 to "A" (add the FBAS green video connector circuit) for $30.
-Camera after market $20, still working after 6 months but I rather have the OEM one.
-Cables - rubber boot - misc = $50.

I really like the 07-08 camera assembly like he got.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
That's interesting. A bit on a expensive side but still interesting. Where do you plug +, -, and CAN-Bus cables?
As they say, time is money.. All comes down to whether you want to spend time cutting and splicing, or if you just want something that plugs in that you know is right. There was another connector they picked up the CAN lines from. The harness came with complete instructions as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bangerla
As they say, time is money.. All comes down to whether you want to spend time cutting and splicing, or if you just want something that plugs in that you know is right. There was another connector they picked up the CAN lines from. The harness came with complete instructions as well.
That's exactly why I am interested, though neither time nor money is problem I've already spliced it but I would prefer a bit nicer connection. Can you direct me to the item? I've tried to find it on their page but no luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Darn, I love your retrofit - 100% OEM, love it

Now start to do real work - drop the glove box - replace both Head unit and the gateway - run the fakra cable from the trunk to the head unit. Go back to the guy and ask him if you can cut the camera controller connector with the wires? He's not going to use the connector and the wiring in the car any how, it will be the best.

Cheers,

Louis
Louis
Thanks for your help and answering my questions. The OEM camera as the fakra connecter that runs to the camera controller and also as a Black/Red wire. You are saying I need the camera controller connector also. I did see it but it had quite a few wire running out of it. That the reason I asked if we have that controller in the same location. My thinking was it would have the same connector.

Last edited by viper04; 10-04-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 camera retrofit