A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotors brake help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Blahhh,
You can get generally two pad cycles for each set of rotors. Once the pads are done, replace the pads and rotors. ECS tuning while I like their site has very high prices on the rotos. And I don't know if there is a large difference between the Pagid rotors and the OEM ones. Regardless I have credit with blauparts and they offer a warranty and are very knowledgable on the phone when I spoke to them; supposed to be OEM quality if not better, and the pads are supposed to be just as good as OEM but with slightly less dust. All of that for roughly $380.

i agree after two cycles change them. i had a range rover and didnt keep up with the rotors and it got real pricey to fix. new brakes, rotors, calipers. not a pblm to fix on a range rover but price is a killer.

with audi the parking brake is electronic in the rear so who knows what type of damage you will do to the car if you dont take care of the rotors.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turning Rotors

Originally Posted by mishar
I like the attitude, but not in these case. Aftermarket pads can be very good, but than they are not any cheap. Rotors are NOT TO BE TURNED EVER. If you check any rotor specifications you will find minimum thickness as crucial data. If they are above you change only pads. If not you change them. If thickness is uneven you change them. Turning would not do any good because there is problem with uneven material. Going below minimum thickness is dangerous. They lose structural integrity, and in extreme cases you can lose a brake pad, spill brake fluid and … well, you get a picture.

Why do you think rotors should never be turned? If they are within spec it is better to clean them up than just leave them with any grooves in them. AS far as them losing structural integrity...I have yet to see any rotor completely fail. They would not offer any turning services if rotors were not meant to be turned, just common sense.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rotors can definitely be turned (usually) once or maybe twice.

The main issue (for me) is that thinner rotors have a tendency to warp over a period of 10K-15K miles, simply because there is less material to deal with the heat generated.

On other cars I wouldn't (and don't) hesitate to turn rotors, instead of replacing them. But, there's a big difference between the wife's Honda and her style of driving, versus this beast and my driving style. The wife isn't likely to notice a pulsation in the brake pedal. But, it would drive me completely batty.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

New rotors are 34 mm. Minimum thickness is 32 mm. Trough that range they can survive 2, may be 3 sets of pads.

If you turn them after the first set you will just turn fine polished surface (crucial for the braking power) into rough one. You will definitely loose chance for the third set because you wasted few tenths of a millimetre turning them. You will waste another tenth or so of a rotor and few tenths of pads until it is polished again and surface will not be flat again. Actually it will be worse than before turning. As an addition you will spend some money.

If you turn them after the second set of pads you will be at the minimum or under and they are toast. If by some chance they are not, there are all setbacks from the first one.

If you have pulsing brake pedal it comes from uneven thickness and it comes from uneven material (cheap rotors). It will be back in no time.

On the long run, saving those few tenths and bucks twice will buy you a new set of rotors. OEM or better (Brembo for example).

Of course you can ask guys who are making money on turning rotors.

Last edited by mishar; 03-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rotors & pads

The stealer is probably ripping you off. There's no way you can run thru the rotor in 24K or 27K miles unless you drive like a maniac or track the car.

My stealer here (DC Area) told me I needed rotors and pads on all 4. I took off one front and one rear wheel to look. I measured the rotor & pads. Turns out I need new rear pads in 1K miles, probably the rear rotors if I want, but front rotors & pads have at least 50% left per Audi specs.

I buy parts from Sunset Audi / Porsche (Oregon) - I've been getting my Porsche parts from them for years too. They give invoice +15% - cant beat the prices on OEM parts.

I wouldn't put aftermarket rotors unless you are going for upgraded rotors or frozen rotors. You dont want to nickel & dime on parts on a 80K car.

Just my 2 cents....

Originally Posted by nimesh
So i had my rotors and brakes replaced at 24k miles... now i have 51k miles i go to a shop to have my brakes looked at i know i need to change them... but now i gotta do rotors again!?!?... its going to run me over 500 dollars in parts.

a) Do you guys know if genuine audiparts.com is cheapest on oem parts?

b) should i consider just installing aftermarket cross drilled or slotted rotors so i don't have to worry about this in the future?

with all this money being spent i wanna try something new like maybe even brembo brakes.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darry_99
You dont want to nickel & dime on parts on a 80K car.
Precisely.

Applies to all parts and service.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by darry_99
I buy parts from Sunset Audi / Porsche (Oregon) - I've been getting my Porsche parts from them for years too. They give invoice +15% - cant beat the prices on OEM parts.
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; COLOR: #fff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
http://www.audiusaparts.com for OEM Parts: AKA Sunset Porche/Audi and ask for Loree. I'm yet to Find any Dealership's Prices close to theirs. They are a Big Sponsor for us without the OEM Mark-Up! The only time I use the Local Dealership is when I need something Over-Night or it's a Small Order and Shipping equates Close Rates. Every Part I needed for the Accident came from them and all were OEM with total shipping being $70 for Fender, Bumper, Grilles and Suspension Parts, but even if I was ordering just a Fender it was still Cheaper by Hundreds with Shipping. I have nothing against Blau Blau, Volks Toys Motor Sports, and the Likes, but I didn't find this Jewel til after the Accident and now they are the Prefered Supplier. Use them and ask for Loree, Dave or Andie if you aren't familiar with Drill Down Part Searching. Laters,
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Look at AutohausAZ and see if they have yours. And, Zimmerman's tend to be good quality aftermarket.

Look at ECS too. Not the cheapest. They have OEM too. THeir house brand was poorly finished when I got that. Sent it back.

Brakeworld sells Brembo factory type rotors in some cases too (plus slotted or drilled). More $$ for those.

If you want high quality aftermarket, also look at EBC fitments and DBA (Disc Brakes Australia).
After looking these up, I found AutoHausAZ and the DBA's to be expensive. Another person commented on adams' and those were very pricey as well.

Since I have a credit w/ blauparts I believe I will buy the rotors from them and EBC Redstuff pads online elsewhere. My main gripe is just the insane amount of just from OEM in the summer. Hopefully the blauparts rotors are just as good as OEM if not better.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok so this what i ve decided ....

1 ALL OEM STOCK ROTORS AND PADS...(least favorable)

2. Zimmerman cross drilled rotors with ebc pads front and rear (#1 choice)

3. Blaus parts rotors with ebc brakes. (#2 choice)

i just want to try something different, any special instructions on installing ebc brake pads? are there just as easy as stock.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nimesh
ok so this what i ve decided ....

1 ALL OEM STOCK ROTORS AND PADS...(least favorable)

2. Zimmerman cross drilled rotors with ebc pads front and rear (#1 choice)

3. Blaus parts rotors with ebc brakes. (#2 choice)

i just want to try something different, any special instructions on installing ebc brake pads? are there just as easy as stock.
Did you get a quote on the Blauparts rotors?
2. As well as how much did the zimmerman rotors run?

Quick Reply: rotors brake help