A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotors brake help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotors brake help

So i had my rotors and brakes replaced at 24k miles... now i have 51k miles i go to a shop to have my brakes looked at i know i need to change them... but now i gotta do rotors again!?!?... its going to run me over 500 dollars in parts.

a) Do you guys know if genuine audiparts.com is cheapest on oem parts?

b) should i consider just installing aftermarket cross drilled or slotted rotors so i don't have to worry about this in the future?

with all this money being spent i wanna try something new like maybe even brembo brakes.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go for genuine Audi rotors. Some aftermarket rotors are extremely poor quality. It looks like low-tech product but it is just the opposite. They have to withstand extremely high temperature without deformation and wear uniformly. Brembo’s are excellent but expensive. They don’t last any longer either.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

blauparts rotor and brake pad kit for the front is only like $380 and it comes with a warranty and good reputation. That's where I'm getting my front package from in the next few thousand miles. If you were to buy from the dealer it's $190 for the pads and an additional $190 PER rotor.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Few places...

Look at AutohausAZ and see if they have yours. And, Zimmerman's tend to be good quality aftermarket.

Look at ECS too. Not the cheapest. They have OEM too. THeir house brand was poorly finished when I got that. Sent it back.

Brakeworld sells Brembo factory type rotors in some cases too (plus slotted or drilled). More $$ for those.

If you want high quality aftermarket, also look at EBC fitments and DBA (Disc Brakes Australia).
Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.audiusaparts.com for OEM Parts: AKA Sunset Porche/Audi and ask for Loree. I'm yet to Find any Dealership's Prices close to theirs.

http://www.adamsrotors.com for Aftermarket Rotors and he's been a Big Sponsor for another Audi Forum for years. I've been running Drill Slots w/EBC Red Pads and she Grabs like a Big Black Bear with plenty of Stopping Power. Good luck and laters,
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put on the premium Napa Auto Parts Brakes and they are great at a fraction of the cost. Get the rotors turned or buy them through Napa great parts for the money and I almost think they are made by the same company that makes them for Audi.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like the attitude, but not in these case. Aftermarket pads can be very good, but than they are not any cheap. Rotors are NOT TO BE TURNED EVER. If you check any rotor specifications you will find minimum thickness as crucial data. If they are above you change only pads. If not you change them. If thickness is uneven you change them. Turning would not do any good because there is problem with uneven material. Going below minimum thickness is dangerous. They lose structural integrity, and in extreme cases you can lose a brake pad, spill brake fluid and … well, you get a picture.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Blahhh,
You can get generally two pad cycles for each set of rotors. Once the pads are done, replace the pads and rotors. ECS tuning while I like their site has very high prices on the rotos. And I don't know if there is a large difference between the Pagid rotors and the OEM ones. Regardless I have credit with blauparts and they offer a warranty and are very knowledgable on the phone when I spoke to them; supposed to be OEM quality if not better, and the pads are supposed to be just as good as OEM but with slightly less dust. All of that for roughly $380.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It may be good to know what I’ve heard from a guy who owns small parts shop. He was approached several times by sellers who offered Chinese rotors for Mercedes and BMW for under $5 apiece. I am not missing a zero. I’ve never had one of those in my hands but I had some other casts from there. It was very difficult to CNC grind them because of extremely inconsistent material.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those prices are jokes

i just purchased oem rotors for 90 a pop. 180 total for 2. pads were something like $60. if you live in New York try Stynkletts Original Auto Parts. i have been using them for years and have never an issue with any parts or service. genuineaudiparts.com is miramar audi in san diego ca. prices are awesome processing and shipping 11 days average. audipartsnationwide.com also has good prices they are rector audi in san francisco. both are way cheaper than audi in new york.

Quick Reply: rotors brake help