A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rns-e av input

Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rns-e av input

hi guys just purchased an audi b7 for the little brother, which has the rsn-e system. it has the cd/tv button but when pushed only shows cd and mp3. so im assuming no tv tuner.

ill tell you what im basically looking for. all i want is to be able to download movies and music videos and watch them through the system when waiting for the women while they shop and we all know what a pain that is....

so what options do i have.....?

thanks in advance

p.s will be posting in the b7 section but thought id ask here as well because you guys know a lot

Last edited by carterleeds; 09-21-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: worng title
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

As I understand RNS-E is an integrated complete unit unlike MMI (individual components). By looking in the back of a RSN-E, there is no FBAS, so it must use pins-wires - Get the pins out of all the connectors.

1. Understand the muxing system - There's no download movies, music videos - what's your input device? The system is just a muxer to select what input device to display and play: CD, Interfaces, TV, etc.
2. What type of connection accepted via: wires, MOST optical, Canbus?
3. Select the correct type, make connections from RNS-E to the input devices and they should work.

This is the reason why Kutafec exists to make these interface to help you to add input devices easily (but not painlessly because it costs money).

If you're not technically inclined, go to Kutafec and buy their setup for a specific integration, but first, you need to find out what input device you need to integrate to the system.

The best is to find out how to connect iphone or ipod touch or android devices through bluetooth to watch videos from these devices as many people "claimed" working. Google is your friend.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Other places to look for RNS-E...

This board really isn't it. RNS-E was used on cars like you reference, on the last of the C5 allroads, on the A3 (though hardly ever optioned up like that), and probably various other models. It was also used as a retrofit for Nav's on vehicles that used the old double DIN radio/CD/cassette (!) chassis like the D2 and the C5.

There are dedicated sites/pages for it here and there if you search. I haven't looked in years, but expect they are still around. There are a variety of interface boxes you can get for it, like video. That stuff is (or at least was) on eBay. First thing to do is find an enthusiast site for it and the various options, including how-to installs, options and Audi part numbers.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
This board really isn't it. RNS-E was used on cars like you reference, on the last of the C5 allroads, on the A3 (though hardly ever optioned up like that), and probably various other models. It was also used as a retrofit for Nav's on vehicles that used the old double DIN radio/CD/cassette (!) chassis like the D2 and the C5.

There are dedicated sites/pages for it here and there if you search. I haven't looked in years, but expect they are still around. There are a variety of interface boxes you can get for it, like video. That stuff is (or at least was) on eBay. First thing to do is find an enthusiast site for it and the various options, including how-to installs, options and Audi part numbers.
thanks. i knew it was a long shot but you just never know what info people may have.

i have posted it in the b7 section already just going to wait for replies.

ill also do what you said and post it in the forums that use rns-e.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
As I understand RNS-E is an integrated complete unit unlike MMI (individual components). By looking in the back of a RSN-E, there is no FBAS, so it must use pins-wires - Get the pins out of all the connectors.

1. Understand the muxing system - There's no download movies, music videos - what's your input device? The system is just a muxer to select what input device to display and play: CD, Interfaces, TV, etc.
2. What type of connection accepted via: wires, MOST optical, Canbus?
3. Select the correct type, make connections from RNS-E to the input devices and they should work.

This is the reason why Kutafec exists to make these interface to help you to add input devices easily (but not painlessly because it costs money).

If you're not technically inclined, go to Kutafec and buy their setup for a specific integration, but first, you need to find out what input device you need to integrate to the system.

The best is to find out how to connect iphone or ipod touch or android devices through bluetooth to watch videos from these devices as many people "claimed" working. Google is your friend.

Cheers,

Louis
in which way does your BS reply help me?!

i told you before if you have nothing helpful to say dont say it you idiot.

i asked how do i get an av input install or be able to watch videos via the system and you just reply with rubbish.

like i said your not helpful and many people will agree with me and stop posting unrelated info.

all your doing is replying with questions to a question when i need answers or advice.

so stop being a deuce and trying to act clever.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Also maybe look at AW Telematics board

Kind of sleepy but if you go back a page or two and a few years in time as far as the posts you might find a few hints either about the system, or maybe where else to look.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/telematics-discussion-118/
Old 09-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WOW UNGRATEFUL

Carterleeds,

I have to say that YOU are way out of line !

If you read what Louis wrote, you would see that he is trying to help you by giving you some ideas on where to look, like Kufatec.

like this,
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volksw...-o-oem-control

or go get a oem TV tuner for that specific vehicle and use the RCA A/V inputs for what ever you want to input, this has been covered here in much detail by Louis and myself very recently.

I am here to help and so is Louis as I am sure many others are, but comment like YOURS make one feel like saying screw this, and then they stop helping, all because YOU could not grasp the content of what someone is relaying to YOU .....

Originally Posted by carterleeds
in which way does your BS reply help me?!

i told you before if you have nothing helpful to say dont say it you idiot.

i asked how do i get an av input install or be able to watch videos via the system and you just reply with rubbish.

like i said your not helpful and many people will agree with me and stop posting unrelated info.

all your doing is replying with questions to a question when i need answers or advice.

so stop being a deuce and trying to act clever.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default A BS Story

It was a rainy SAT on a not too busy intersection of a very nice blvd famous with nice cars, a panhandler with a sign on the chest "need money for coked up brother".
A man named "Buffet" stopped by and ask the panhandler.
-Why don't you give your brother your money?
Panhandler - But I don't have any money.
-How can you help someone if you're not capable of doing the deed?
Panhandler - Stop the BS and just give me the money.
-Instead of standing here hoping someone will give you some money, why don't you go to work and get the money to give it to him.
Panhandler - What BS with work, how does work bring money?
-Your gesture is very heroic, but all heroic acts often require sacrifices.
Panhandler - What sacrifices, stop the BS and just give me the money so I can help my brother - Stop with all these "know it all" questions. Just give the darn money - OLD MAN.

Plain fiction -

Louis
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats what I did on my old B6 long time ago
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Carterleeds,

I have to say that YOU are way out of line !

If you read what Louis wrote, you would see that he is trying to help you by giving you some ideas on where to look, like Kufatec.

like this,
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volksw...-o-oem-control

or go get a oem TV tuner for that specific vehicle and use the RCA A/V inputs for what ever you want to input, this has been covered here in much detail by Louis and myself very recently.

I am here to help and so is Louis as I am sure many others are, but comment like YOURS make one feel like saying screw this, and then they stop helping, all because YOU could not grasp the content of what someone is relaying to YOU .....

it clearly says a/v input and the question is, what options i have?!!!!

im sure many others have inboxed me congratulating me for calling out louis and his retardism unrelated info posting.

look in simple terms, if you cannot answer the question then dont reply. why do you feel the need to reply with unrelated info. and before you answer ask yourself has you or louis told me anything to do with an A/V instal or advised me if could install A/V inputs with or wihtout a tv tuner or options i have for an A/V instal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rns-e av input