A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relentless Pursuit for Apple CarPlay on MMI 2G

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

"Best location for it is in the roof panel where all the other OE mics are located, and routing the wire up the A-pillar into the roof lining is no big deal."

dvs_dave, what is your technique for routing the mic cable up the A-pillar? Once the roof panel is off, how would I proceed?
Old 04-12-2022, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Dip switch brightness settings info I got from their customer support. Initially my CarPlay image was too dark, but now I have it set to full brightness, its as expected.

Mic cable routing I can’t fully remember as I re-used the mic I’d already put up there from a prior aftermarket BT module (Fiscon Pro) install. I used the info from alldatadiy.com on how to remove the necessary trim pieces, but I don’t recall it being difficult. More just knowing how to do it so you know when to yank on something vs breaking it as there’s some hidden fasteners that you missed.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just thought I’d toss this up. It’s part of my for sale ad for one of my S8s but highlights the Mr 12v kit. I just installed another in my new 2009 and the entire process, start to finish, was 20 minutes.

Again, no affiliation but I have two other cars with retrofits where it works so poorly thah it’s not worth using. This isn’t that. And because of that I just want to make sure people know that.

Cars and Bids Audi S8 CarPlay Retrofit
Old 04-14-2022, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Yes Mike, I’d agree with your summary completely. It just works and is easily on par with the OEM CarPlay instances I have in other vehicles. In fact it’s better as none of my OEM’s have wireless. I keep forgetting I have to plug the phone in on my other vehicles, and it’s kind if annoying. No touch screen is a demerit, but doesn’t take long to get used to. First world problems etc. Lol.

Anyway was playing around with the Apple lossless and Spatial Audio (aka Dolby Atmos), and the lossless is spectacular, even on the Bose system. B&O would be next level.

Spatial Audio, there was definitely a difference. But it felt over processed, like it was doubling up on the DSP (echoey), and much of the fidelity got sucked out, particularly the bass.

For me the best sound settings on the Bose are to have spatial audio set to automatic/off, and have the Bose DSP set to front surround, and the bass at 70%. Lossless is great, but it’ll kill your data plan, but “high efficiency” streaming is still excellent. Still WAY better than any aux input or A2DP BT streaming option.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 04-14-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:23 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Follow the install video on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/YZeyeWwL4ug

Only variation to the video is the glovebox removal procedure for NA market vehicles. They have a different glovebox assembly which houses the knee airbag, so it has additional support bracketry and consequently a slightly different fastener layout. The removal procedure can be found here, which incidentally is the OP of this thread’s website.
https://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/a8-d...x-removal.html

Regards the other stuff, you can leave all existing devices (OEM BT, AMI, CD changer, etc) in place and connected up if you do wish. The Mr12volt interface will just give you additional BT/media connection options on top of what you already have.

You will have to connect a microphone to the interface though. I reused one I already had installed in the roof panel from an aftermarket BT device (Fiscon Pro) I retrofitted years ago that this replaced. The kit comes with a mic that you can use, and I’d recommend putting it in the roof panel where the OEM mics are located, and routing the wire down the A-pillar accordingly.

As you have an OE reverse cam, leave all that in place. The interface has an option to allow the OE camera to function as normal. Only reason you’d use the interface camera option is if your car doesn’t have an OE cam (it do dynamic lines and parking radar!), or you want to upgrade to a 360 cam system which the interface can run. The reverse signal comes from the CANBUS tap, so no need to connect the reverse light wire to anything. That’s only for use where CANBUS isn’t tapped.
And finally, the MMI H.U. is the MMI Head Unit.

I installed mine yesterday and it was truly plug and play. No splicing or anything, and everything needed for the job was in the kit. The latest version has the WiFi antennas built-in rather than the external ones shown in the install vid.

Overall I’m extremely pleased, and it brings the infotainment right up to date, especially with it offering wireless CarPlay. Only the very latest OEM’s offer that. It does everything, and more than you expect and is every bit as good as any OE (non-touch screen) Carplay integration. Brightness and contrast settings needed some tuning to get around some of the OE screen resolution limitations, but once done it looks great.

Oh, and the until now non-functional “voice command” button on the steering wheel now enables Siri which was a very welcome addition.

I have a 2008 S8.
Which kit did you buy? I'm assuming the mic comes with it.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:55 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

I just placed the order for my 2008 S8.
This is what unit they said to buy. I can't wait to get this installed. Not having AppleCarplay has been the only thing I didn't like about my S8.

Audi MMI 2G High CarPlay & AA Interface A6 A8 Q7 with DSP.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Yes, that’ll work. Looks like you went for the upgraded version with DSP (digital signal processing). Basically a graphic equalizer for the sound output. You’ll be able to re-live the 80’s with your in-dash 15-way graphic equalizer, set just so….Lol

Mine module is the standard one without the DSP function. Sounds great either way.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:31 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Yes, that’ll work. Looks like you went for the upgraded version with DSP (digital signal processing). Basically a graphic equalizer for the sound output. You’ll be able to re-live the 80’s with your in-dash 15-way graphic equalizer, set just so….Lol

Mine module is the standard one without the DSP function. Sounds great either way.
That was the unit they recommended. My S8 has the B&O stereo.
So I don't need the DSP function?
Old 04-20-2022, 03:58 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

I found this video for installing the mic. He didn't go as far as installing it where the original mics were located but except for that last step this should give us an idea on how to route the mic.
Let me know if any of this is wrong

Old 04-20-2022, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by TFT
That was the unit they recommended. My S8 has the B&O stereo.
So I don't need the DSP function?
Both versions will work great. Just the DSP model has the 15-way graphic equalizer that allows you to tune its audio output, as you see fit.

Personally, it’s not a feature I’m interested in as to me it sounds great out of the box. But if you’re not happy with the way the stock system sounds, the DSP version allows you to tune it to your liking with the graphic equalizer. Up to you basically. Doesn’t matter either way, end user preference.

Both versions essentially appear to be the same, bar the graphic equalizer function on the DSP model, and associated premium.

Quick Reply: Relentless Pursuit for Apple CarPlay on MMI 2G