A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension feels loose when passing over uneven ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe that problem came from tires, but wouldn't be surprised if alignment is not perfect. I am never sure if those machines are well calibrated. Some of them are too sophisticated for guys using them.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was the suspension set when you had the alignment done? Unless you have the alignment done at Audi, you should have the alignment adjusted in Dynamic mode. If you have it adjusted in comfort or auto, then the toe will be off, and the car will not center itself well while driving.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bangerla
Where was the suspension set when you had the alignment done? Unless you have the alignment done at Audi, you should have the alignment adjusted in Dynamic mode. If you have it adjusted in comfort or auto, then the toe will be off, and the car will not center itself well while driving.
That would imply really bad suspension design! Changing toe angle when going trough different settings would mean that it can't be properly adjusted for 2/3 of them. Even if The Art of Engineering is that nearsighted I would suggest adjusting in the mostly used setting.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi's do have the constant S adjustment for toe, which is designed to compensate the toe constant over the suspension range. Since most independent shops do not have the equipment to do this, they adjust it to what the specs call out, which are only correct if you follow the Audi procedure.

To do the toe properly, a tool needs to be fitted to the front suspension, the suspension raised with the tool, toe checked, then the suspension lowered, and the toes checked again. Then adjust the S adjustment, and do it all over again to verify it is correct.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi's do have the constant S adjustment for toe, which is designed to compensate the toe constant over the suspension range. Since most independent shops do not have the equipment to do this, they adjust it to what the specs call out, which are only correct if you follow the Audi procedure.

To do the toe properly, a tool needs to be fitted to the front suspension, the suspension raised with the tool, toe checked, then the suspension lowered, and the toes checked again. Then adjust the S adjustment, and do it all over again to verify it is correct.
So, why would you adjust it in Dynamic position?

By the way, all that Art of Adjustment is an ultimate BS on the ever floating poorly designed upper arms with bushings that last to the next corner. S curve adjustment changes ten times less than the first breaking.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found on my car the only way to get it correct was to adjust in Dynamic. Since nobody knows where Hunter got their alignment numbers from, one can only guess. If they took the numbers from bentley etc, and they dont use correct procedure for alignment, then the numbers are completely useless.

I had my car aligned in comfort mode, and as the original poster said, the car didnt center well, and it had bump steer. The alignment shop also said the same thing, that the numbers were way off. I had the car aligned again, but in dynamic mode, and the car now drives great.

As for the suspension, the car drives well. Sure, maybe the bushings only last 80K miles, but you cant expect them to last forever. Maybe if you dont like the Audi suspension, you should drive something else?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe if you dont like the Audi suspension, you should drive something else?
Nobody in this world likes A8 suspension because of upper arms bushings. But the rest of it is much better.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"As for the suspension, the car drives well. Sure, maybe the bushings only last 80K miles, but you cant expect them to last forever. Maybe if you dont like the Audi suspension, you should drive something else?"

You're right, there are many other good cars to choose from. With others introducing four wheel drive into their range, the selection seems to be expanding, if the extra grip of four wheel drive is important where you live. Brand loyalty only stretches so far, then breaks.