A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe Here - looking at an S8

Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe Here - looking at an S8

Well I am new to the Audi world, but have always been impressed with them.

Have had the chence to run with Audi Club of North America on their first HPDE at Daytona Int'l Speedway where I was tracking my Mini Cooper S.

Now I find myself finally looking to get one of the famed 4 oval vehicles.

The wife and I are looking at a 2009 S8, 30k miles on her and nothing that I can planly see is an issue. She is still covered under warranty so my hopes are that if there is anything that needed replacing, it was done.

Anything that I should keep an eye out for do these have any known issues?

thanks for any help!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Welcome...

I test drove one of these once, what a beast.

Just be aware of post warranty maintenance. These cars are expensive to run in any spec. That V10 is a much rarer engine than the 4.2.

When does the warranty run out? I would consider an extended warranty as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome! 30K is a new car. You should not have any problem with it. Maintenance is not cheep, but if you can do things yourself, brakes for example, it is not too bad. For example again, four corners brake job, including rotors, $700 for OEM parts.

Go for it. You only live once.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Welcome! 30K is a new car. You should not have any problem with it. Maintenance is not cheep, but if you can do things yourself, brakes for example, it is not too bad. For example again, four corners brake job, including rotors, $700 for OEM parts.

Go for it. You only live once.
*slightly* higher if equipped with ceramic rotors.

Only known problem area is with the electric air compressor for the ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) which has a finite life and the related air struts seem to have failed for some of us.

Awesome car. Step up, go for it and enjoy.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed with all....

I would say though that you may want to have it scanned with the VCDS software (look that up on here if you're not sure)just in case any nasties are lurking, and even from a dealer, with a warrantee, assume everything is wrong until proven otherwise. That may be the cop part of me speaking, or it may be the 'project' A8 part of me speaking, but either way, forewarned is forearmed.

In the end though, BUY IT! And enjoy driving past the 'I wax my chest' brigade of 'super car' owners!

K9

Last edited by K9COP; 05-08-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just purchased a CPO 2009 S8 with 45k miles. Had a minor problem with the tranny that was relieved with a software update. One of my B&O tweeters rattles badly, and it is being replaced tomorrow. I also had an issue with the sunroof shade getting stuck when the sunroof was opened all the way. Dealer is replacing sunroof rails tomorrow as well. Apparently all 3 issues had some sort of TSB. The dealer has been amazing.

Aside from those minor quirks, the car has been great. Glad I traded in my S5 for her! =)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it!!! It will be the best car you have ever owned.

The V10 engine has proven to be stable and trouble-free. One D3 S8 owner reported 120,000 miles without any problems.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, we r going to look at it tomorrow or the next day

I want to take it out fr a nice test drive, but it sure doesn't sound like they have any known bugs about them

Other than the air compressor for the air ride

With the car still under warranty and me being a fan of extended warranties I will check out that option as well

This one does have the B&O option which the wife and I were very impressed with when we looked at an S5 when they first came out
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Forget the compressor. That may come years later.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Forget the compressor. That may come years later.
Just an FYI, mine failed 3 1/2 years after the new vehicle was delivered. Only three years of use as the car sat for about six months from lease turn-in to when I bought it.

The Average life of the compressor is about 6500 key on cycles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbe Here - looking at an S8