A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE bulb colors.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Question on Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE bulb colors.

Hi.
I just had OSRAM XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE D2s bulbs delivered to me, and they are completely different colors than each other... I even switched sides and the bad bulb still stayed bad, so its not the car electronics. My question is, I have nothing to compare them with to see which color is wrong, so I know which bulb to send back. Can anyone tell me from my picture which bulb is messed up: right - bluer (where the cords are hanging) or Left - whiter (where the door is)?
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send both back.. Looks like two different Kelvin temperatures. You will want to swap out as a set. No guarantee the replacement you get will match the one you kept.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The right one looks like the bad one but I would also send both back and get a new set.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Right once looks bad - are you 100% sure they are not fakes, I would say more often than not PHILIPS aftermarket ones are knock-offs maybe OSRAM too.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Only buy from a reputable dealer via internet (there are not too many) or from a store that you can take them back for issues like this.

Price from a seller is a usual indicator of fakes. If the price is too good to be true, the product is junk/garbage/fake.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

They could be fakes, as they were cheaper. I purchased them from an ebay seller in Germany, and they actually came shipped from Germany. The packaging was printed, glossy and perfect. They were a spot on duplicates of the old Classic Osram Xenarc I had in there, every notch was right, even the little imprint in the plastic that has an arrow pointing to the month it was made in, solid workmanship. They were just not packed in pairs, they were individually packaged bulbs, like when you get replacements. The other reviewers had no issues with the bulbs, just me. The seller is sending me another single, I'll send the defective back. Ultimately, it was such a pain to get the bulbs in ( i did it from the top, I'll post some pics from that later) that i would rather have possible fakes in than do the driver side over again... they light up the road fine, nothing amazing, just whiter than the old classic Xenarcs I had in, I can't see a difference in the brightness between the Classic Xenarc and the CBI, as i left in the one good CBI and one Classic Xenarc in. I think I actually like the old yellower bulb more than these whiter colors... color of trees/grass/road feel less washed out..

Here are some pics of the bulbs.
The lights shining on the wall are for those who want to compare.
Osram Xenarc CBI (New) on left, and Osram Xenarc Classic (4 yrs old) on right.
(keep in mind its shining on dry wall with that grey/tan paper on it)
Attached Images    

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 03-23-2014 at 12:07 PM.