A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Change; anything else I should buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Spark Plug Change; anything else I should buy?

I see NGK BKR6EIX as recommended although I am a OE/Bosch type; suggestions are welcome.
Yes I did spend considerable time STFA but I still wonder if the boots might be brittle and need replacement, and I've seen reference to connectors' fragility, but not sure if the breakable part is on the coil pack or the harness. Should I buy an extra (spare) coil or does breaking the connector not "kill" it?
Also if there are any online guides, I did not find one (I do have Bentley and a torque wrench of course).

Thanks for any input.
-Tom
PS I'm doing the fuel filter too, did the B5, looks similar.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coil packs are well made on these cars and tough. If they have been in for a while it will take a little force to turn them out but they will come out. Just take your time and do them slowly and you'll be fine. The boots are metal so no replacement required. The tabs that plug in to them can break so that's the only concern for this job. You might be eligible for to get all 8 coil packs replaced for free due to a recall. Call your local dealer and give them your vin so see if the recall has been done or not. If not they replace them free of charge no questions asked. When you get your car back to replace your plugs, they will be much easier to take out.

Well you're on the right track with the other maintenance items and I would do the air filter too since that is actually part of a tune up or replace it next time you change the oil.