A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone swap air suspension for springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone swap air suspension for springs?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and am asking for some reviews of the air bag to coilover suspension conversions. I am strongly considering this as an option for my 2005 A8L.

I was driving home this week and suddenly the car had an absurdly rough ride, then it was fine, then rough again the next day. I tood the car to the dealer this morning and they said I needed new front bags, and might need a pump...the total was $7,000.

I am not planning on daily driving this car and am going to use it as a second vehicle. The car has 91,000 miles, and I really hate the idea of spending that kind of money on the car. Does anyone have any thoughts on using a kit like the one in the link?

http://www.americanairsuspension.com...rts-s/1904.htm

I have searched and have not found anything on google, or on ANY forums. Please let me know what you think.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=The_Supra;24421916]Hello all,

...the total was $7,000.

Look at this:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid174.html
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pashamad
Thanks! I agree, the dealer is making a fortune off these repairs, but That is still $3k in parts, plus shipping, plus labor.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does your car drop face down when you park it?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Do you have any symptoms other than harsh ride? Like low front end after parked overnight?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default still more than you need to spend...

Originally Posted by The_Supra
Thanks! I agree, the dealer is making a fortune off these repairs, but That is still $3k in parts, plus shipping, plus labor.
I just did both front struts in my 04 . One went out, so I had it replaced, and a month later the other one went. At an indy shop using Arnott struts it was about $900 a side incl labor. You most likely do not need a pump, and there are after market alternatives or a used part would do.

The coil kit will cost $1400 andc the labor will be the same as R&R on the air struts I should think. So for essentially the same money your car would function as intended.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Supra
Are you foolish, and thinking about swapping the whole system out?

You probably just have an air leak at a strut's air connector, that can be fixed for a couple bucks DIY. (normal stuff on all air suspensions)

Or at worst, you need a new compressor. Seldom that the airbags themselves are faulty, that would indeed require a new damper. The problem is mostly with an airleak that causes the compressor to go bad, when it has to work more than it's planned for.

If you check out the german ebay.de you can buy NEW OE air dampers for half of the price of those remanufactured. Don't be stupdid, and put yourself to bankrupcy by buying from the first place you see. Your dealer is ripping you off, and not really knowing what is wrong, by wanting to replace 2 struts AND the compressor!

I got a used WORKING ACC radar for 120euros from there (new 4200euros, used normally 400-1000e), an instrument cluster for 100euros, NEW door-sills with lights (OE) 100e, 20L canister of longlife oil to my door 153euros... you just name it.

The BMW service quoted over 2000euros for fixing my friend's BMW E61 rear suspension. I did it for a NEW compressor bought from ebay.de (330euros) and three hour's labor. And i didn't take 600euros per hour.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
If you check out the german ebay.de you can buy NEW OE air dampers for half of the price of those remanufactured.
Really....got a link?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Really....got a link?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A8-4E-Lu...90874463397%26
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
Welcome to the board.

Do you have any symptoms other than harsh ride? Like low front end after parked overnight?
Thanks for the responses guys. I do not notice the nose being "on the ground" or anything dramatic.

the symptoms are pretty much lights on the dash, and the car going back and fourth driving like normal, to driving like I have no suspension at all.

I got another quote from an independent dealer in DFW, for $2700 for everything, with Factory Audi parts.

Quick Reply: Anyone swap air suspension for springs?