A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Year Anniversary... and Still...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello Nathanwind,
I haven't opened anything up yet, but I think it should be the same as my old A8
I'll check with a few rotations by hands to check the integrity of the belt. Believe it or not, I do trust the original belt over anything after even with the dealer part. It's a big job and really like someone else to do it for me but I'm sure which shops I would use.
Yes it's like "Deer Hunter" driving with the old belt, but it's California, the temperatures don't vary drastically, therefore things like "rubber and Kevlar" should last very long. I took out my old timing belt roller and they're still good.
Now, I do trust my eyes for inspection. The worst thing you can do is to tear down the front to replace all these belts and rollers with after market stuff and one of them fails by chance, and your perfectly healthy engine goes down the tube - or someone else made a mistake and forget to torque some bolts or misalign a few teeth on the belt (check the forum, it's amazing that people who take a 75k miles perfect running car for timing belt service and the engine became walking wounded after the service).
What's made can fail, will fail, no questions about it.
My whole point is "keep the car as original as possible" all the glue, gaskets, belts, rollers... etc "WERE" built to last and I do trust Audi.
Do you buy refurbished stuff? May be yes, if it's really cheap but the feelings is still it's not original.

Johnny Q,
It's been a long time since the last time seeing you up here, how's the beautiful "B" you got a while ago? You do have tons of extra cash laying around... So happy for you.
I'm going to change the oil this weekend, but it's going to rain again, the level is really goes down to the middle of the dotted section.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
It uses the rear brake parking motor to figure out cumulative wear.
Makes sense I should have checked the setting before changing them.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My experiences from the auto repair business side. Most modern belts usually do not break on their own. Like MP4.2+6.0 has stated, it's either the water pump, pulleys, or the tensioner that goes bad. The only other thing is if you have a oil leak and it saturates the belt, then it damages the belt over time. I seen a timing belt last for 200K miles if the belt is clean and other components don't go bad. I'm generalizing for all makes but it's the things that the timing belt is connected to that goes bad. That is why you replace all those components when you do a timing belt. Your timing belt might look good at 125K and when the pulley locks up while you are driving and throws the timing belt off, you are looking at internal engine damage. The one thing you don't want to mess with is the timing belt on an interference engine.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Somewhere in pl or romania

Originally Posted by halik
Hi Louis,
where do you guy the ipod interface from?
Hello Halik,
I happened to stumble on this one when I bought my back up camera controller. It was from a guy in Romania. It was a combo deal $300 for everything included shipping.
I saw this same one on a website in Poland I think for $250. If I have to pay $250 + shipping, I would rather to get the OEM AMI which sell on Ebay for about $200-350.
I think the OEM turn off the AMI power when the MMI is OFF. The after market ones don't.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Johnny Q,
It's been a long time since the last time seeing you up here, how's the beautiful "B" you got a while ago? You do have tons of extra cash laying around... So happy for you.
I'm going to change the oil this weekend, but it's going to rain again, the level is really goes down to the middle of the dotted section.

Cheers,

Louis
Hello Louis

I just watched your latest video "My Oil Change On 2006 A8L @ 89k Miles " very good !
I have to say I personally would not push that timing belt, even though it may look grate BUT there may be ware unseen to the naked eye.

I am still working on my "B", the weather has been lousy and there is no room for my baby inside, so she sits out in the snow , and work has been busy at the mall with my two new tenants and up-fits, so not much time for the "B" right now, I hope to be back to her in a week or two, will send you pics.

Johnny J J

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 03-09-2014 at 09:08 AM.