A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big big problem!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big big problem!!!

I was driving in town one day and in one minute all the lights came on...i have no ABS no ESP...the brake light i know what it is(hand brake i tooked out the motor on the right hand side loooong time ago), airbag- it's the right passenger side igniter something...i care about abs esp and the headlight thing ohhh the range for the fuel sometimes is 0 and the speedometer is not working but only sometimes...this happens since the abs and esp and headlight range thing came on...please give me any ideas cuz i'm speechless
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default A bit of a WAG without a scan,

but a likely guess is the combo clock spring/angle sensor that sits behind the steering wheel assembly. The clock spring interconnects the horn, airbag and steering wheel switches, while the angle sensor reads the steering wheel position for stuff like ESP and adaptive lighting. Hence why you are seeing that range control warning, plus some of the other symptoms you describe that overlap other elements of that component.

It failed once on my W12 during warranty, and apparently again recently for the clock spring part that connects the airbag electrically. You have to remove the airbag, steering wheel and the steering column trim covers to get at it. Part costs several hundred $ and is essentially dealer only.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well let me see if i got it...all my problems (NO ABS = NO ESP = HEADLIGHT RANGE CONTROL DEFECTIVE) is from the clock spring/angle sensor? the red brake light is from the e-brake the airbag from a igniter like i mentioned...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ohhh i changed the front brake pads recently...maybe it gives you any ideas
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure about ABS but...

IIRC it may come on as a warning light when ESP light comes on. Yes, the other two warnings can come directly from the angle sensor issue.

I would get it scanned to confirm given the cost of the part.

Brake pads not relevant except for a brake pad wear warning light type issue. That would not play into any of these warnings, unless you physically damaged an ABS wheel sensor. But that still would not explain the headlight range control one, except maybe if you also managed to mess up one of the suspension height sensors...in which case it would likely show suspension height problems too.

Net, the angle sensor/clockspring remains my best guess. Scan it to get more validation, or some alternate issue.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok i will scan it...i am starting to not like this car...every day something new...first parking brake motor then suspension and now everything is on...i know its december and christmas is coming but i don't want lights in my car i rather have them on a christmas tree...to much electronic...(
Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This are 3 codes that came out from the scan...i have no idea what they are...please help!!!
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All those codes are the same, but generic...

That looks like a generic code reader. You need access to VCDS/VAG-COM to get the manufacturer (Audi/VW) specific info and a better explanation. The generic readers typically don't work across all the control modules of the car either, so I don't think there is adequate info. from the scan.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ohhh ok...ill try to find a VCDS...man its like a nightmare...i need a old school car or a vacation away from this one...thank you very much for you time.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes its the module...i have to buy a new one(960$ dealer price) or to get it rebuilt but i don't know where to do it. I don't want to send it to some dud with a soldering gun and beer next to him. Can someone give any advice if its closer to Chicago Illinois it wold be amazing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big big problem!!!