A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil catch can 4.2 FSI

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How did it go with the fuel injector fogging lubricator?
Did you manage to install the whole setup?
My car is at 39K km (24K mi) but I'm planning to keep this car for a while, so it's never too early.

Of all the reads I found, yours is the best idea.
The oil catch cans will separate the oil, but some will still go and it will only slow down the event of carbon build-up, but not prevent it.
Another way, is to put breather filters in the manifold and vent to the atmosphere after the oi catch can.
But, the valves are not getting cleaned by anything. So, adding the fuel injector cleaning fluid seems like a good idea.

Please post an update.
I'd like to get a "fancy" or pro looking setup, but I'd like to add the lubricator after.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a oil catch can on many of my cars, I have thought about adding one to my s8. Is there a DIY for the v10?
Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
How did it go with the fuel injector fogging lubricator?
Did you manage to install the whole setup?
My car is at 39K km (24K mi) but I'm planning to keep this car for a while, so it's never too early.

Of all the reads I found, yours is the best idea.
The oil catch cans will separate the oil, but some will still go and it will only slow down the event of carbon build-up, but not prevent it.
Another way, is to put breather filters in the manifold and vent to the atmosphere after the oi catch can.
But, the valves are not getting cleaned by anything. So, adding the fuel injector cleaning fluid seems like a good idea.

Please post an update.
I'd like to get a "fancy" or pro looking setup, but I'd like to add the lubricator after.

Thanks!
I haven't added the quick disconnect injector cleaning port yet. I'm in the process of building a garage so I can do more of this stuff. But eventually, I'll add the spray nozzle to the inside of my delete plate. This delete plate goes where the fine oil separator attaches to the intake manifold. I need to run the hoses further down under the car, because it does create a lot of fumes once you stop.

As far as a V10 setup. I'm sure its a similar setup, but you do have less room to work with. Are both valve covers vented to the manifold?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~DonQPremiumTequila~
I have used a oil catch can on many of my cars, I have thought about adding one to my s8. Is there a DIY for the v10?
Yes;
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...urnal-2963302/

Last edited by EHLO; 12-30-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im using an actual oil catch-can now. I'm also routing the vacuum line to the front of the engine instead of the rear oil separator/pcv.

I bought a pcv that's used on a SAAB, very cheap compared to what Audi uses. It uses simple 1/4" fittings.

I used a T to connect to another vacuum line.

Then i capped off the original rear pcv.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Tstealth32,

would you please let me know if you had any issues with the original air/oil separator? What you have in the original post is what I am about to do but am curious if you had found problems or issues with it and why did you change to a standard catch can? My car is A6 4.2l V8 BVJ engine, so seems very similar to what you have. My concern, being in the cold climate (Canada), is freezing of the bad oil/water sludge in the air/oil separator glass container.

I have done carbon cleaning back in 2018 and just finished it again some 3 years later. There is not much buildup in 3 years, but definitely some and I must do something to reduce the buildup in the future. Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

My last post is my current setup, and it works great! It does collect a lot of oil, especially in the winter time. No issues with the Saab pcv valve.

​​​​​​
Old 07-24-2021, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
This is awesome.
My A8 D4 4.2FSI has about 20K miles, but it's never to early to avoid carbon build up.
Could you tell me the parts that you bought? and if you can, where to order them from?
Thanks!
Can you show me how you set yours up?
Old 07-24-2021, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
Im using an actual oil catch-can now. I'm also routing the vacuum line to the front of the engine instead of the rear oil separator/pcv.

I bought a pcv that's used on a SAAB, very cheap compared to what Audi uses. It uses simple 1/4" fittings.

I used a T to connect to another vacuum line.

Then i capped off the original rear pcv.

Would it be necessary to have two oil catch cans for the two setups that you went through?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been wanting to do this on my 5.2L V-10. Same basic concept as the V8. Does anyone see any issues or problems doing this on the V-10?

Quick Reply: Oil catch can 4.2 FSI