A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe Here - looking at an S8

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

6500 key on cycles would last 10 to 20 years, but I believe it has more to do with load unload cycles since that's when it pumps and vents struts. It may be good idea not to lock the car when possible because locking initiates leveling immediately. Intensive playing with lift/comfort/dynamic makes it work overtime too, but the leak or stuck relay is what kills it definitely.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
6500 key on cycles would last 10 to 20 years, but I believe it has more to do with load unload cycles since that's when it pumps and vents struts. It may be good idea not to lock the car when possible because locking initiates leveling immediately. Intensive playing with lift/comfort/dynamic makes it work overtime too, but the leak or stuck relay is what kills it definitely.
not sure if it will make it in the garage or be stuck in the driveway, so if outside then it will be locked for sure our garage can be a crowded place for vehicles as half is taken up by motorcycles so I can only put 1 car away.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just wonder what that one might be when 2009 S8 is sleeping outdoors.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well clearly it would be that truck....

... that would sleep inside. He wouldn't want anyone to know he owned that surely?

K9

p.s. and no mentioning the Discovery. Or the Jag. Or the Roadmaster... etc. etc.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well if the wife has anything to say about it I will be sleeping outdoors before her lovely S8 does

but I think she does recognize that our driveway is just not big enough, you see

We have A Ford Excursion and an SRT10 pick up (see my avatar) and currently they both reside outside in the drive along with the Mini because they are too long nose to tail to fit and be able to walk in between (as Mr. Policeman once gave me a ticket for blocking the sidewalk)

so actually NOTHING is in the garage next to the bikes because we can't get it out quickly when we want to.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by K9COP
... that would sleep inside. He wouldn't want anyone to know he owned that surely?

K9

p.s. and no mentioning the Discovery. Or the Jag. Or the Roadmaster... etc. etc.
I have not, nor ever will own any of those cars, I actually enjoy driving

My daily is a 2004 Mini Cooper S and the wife usually takes the SRT10 to work (which is all of 3 miles away, and I work from home so my 2004 Mini has just about 41k and the 2005 SRT has all of 48k)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just teasing Jamie, relax...

Argh! those damn cops.... You may not have owned those cars, but I have/do...

But while I too enjoy driving, you haven't lived until you've experienced the Land Rover 'road side facial sauna' while waiting for the recovery truck... I just thought as you already own an English car (the Mini, no, it's not German...)you'd be into those I mentioned....

When the body rusts of the SRT10 (not long to wait then...) can I have the engine for my '68 Charger please? That is if you haven't found me and run me over with it it by then....

Back on topic, you obviously know your cars, so go ahead and buy the S8, and please keep us posted..

K9

p.s. I want your toys when (if) I grow up....

Originally Posted by LGENF
I have not, nor ever will own any of those cars, I actually enjoy driving

My daily is a 2004 Mini Cooper S and the wife usually takes the SRT10 to work (which is all of 3 miles away, and I work from home so my 2004 Mini has just about 41k and the 2005 SRT has all of 48k) We have A Ford Excursion and an SRT10 pick up (see my avatar) and currently they both reside outside in the drive along with the Mini because they are too long nose to tail to fit and be able to walk in between (as Mr. Policeman once gave me a ticket for blocking the sidewalk)
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

WABCO did tests for both Mean Time Between Failures and Failure Modes Effects Analysis when the compressor was being implemented for Audi. Using a D3 A8 with normal, non-commercial driving, starts & stops etc. The MTBF was 6500 key cycles. For you, maybe that woulld be 10 to 20 years. For me, 3 to 3 1/2 years. My first compressor failed at the 3 1/2 year mark. Although I boughtthe car used from a two year lease, I have no idea how many times the car was cycled, how many times the suspension was manually adjusted down or up etc.

For many here they have had no problem with a seven to eight year old car. Many people have a car as old or within a year of age of mine yet they have 100,000 fewer miles.