A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery, but still flickering lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery, but still flickering lights

I changed out the original battery in my 2004 with a new one from Pep Boys (Bosch, larger CCA than the original one) after the power management system started shutting things down in the car during a period of cold weather. I did this a few months ago and everything seems back to normal with respect to the power management system and starting capabilities. However, I still have two issues:

1) The battery level indicator in the MMI only ever reads about 60-70%
2) The interior lights (and sometimes the parking and brake lights) flicker quite a bit when the engine is at idle.

Anyone know what might be going on?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunky
I changed out the original battery in my 2004 with a new one from Pep Boys (Bosch, larger CCA than the original one) after the power management system started shutting things down in the car during a period of cold weather. I did this a few months ago and everything seems back to normal with respect to the power management system and starting capabilities. However, I still have two issues:

1) The battery level indicator in the MMI only ever reads about 60-70%
2) The interior lights (and sometimes the parking and brake lights) flicker quite a bit when the engine is at idle.

Anyone know what might be going on?
Loose wires coming from the Alternator to their destination points. Also it is possible that a main power lead is loose at a junction point on a fuse or relay panel. Same for ground wires. I assume every wire connected to the battery post contraption is secure.

FYI, when in cold areas, my indicator is always at 60-80%. Same thing, new battery. I went with Deka. Keep the economy moving in Lyon Station, PA.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default First places I would look...

tend to be what has been attended to before, in case something ended up loose. Here that probably means terminal and ground points back by the battery.

If any work has been done on alternator, then that too. If the lights don't just flicker but also dim, that would sound increasingly like alternator.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks guys -- I'll look around and see if I can find any loose wires.

Mister Bally - do you happen to live/work near Lyon Station, PA? I am in the Allentown area myself....
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Mister Bally - do you happen to live/work near Lyon Station, PA? I am in the Allentown area myself....
Nowhere near there. Coincidentally, I flew into Philadelphia yesterday for business.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you find a solution to your flickering lights problem? I am experiencing a similar issue. My battery was at 50% so I am currently charging it to see if that's all it was.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Put a heater in the trunk to heat up the battery and temp sensor,(also dries out the trunk) your power meter will blast to 100%. However if the battery is bad you will still current shed have issues.

I never had flickering lights. Lights shouldn't flicker unless there is a bona fide circuit-only issue I would think.

The alternator provides mostly all of the current for car operation. It is possible that in rare events like say cabin fan full blast, all 4 seat heaters, defog, audio on full, rad fans 100% and suspension compressor going, and trunk motor spinning and never stopping, would current from the battery be requested. That's what I read anyway.

The smart battery monitor might kill the lights but not if the vehicle is running, unless the module is bad. I was told the modules are pretty good, e.g small dealer only recalls replacing one.