A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in Cumberland, right on the Falmouth line. Just moved from Portland though.

Thanks for all of the good info MP4. I have a Windows partition on my Macbook Pro, but I think it's Win7. Haven't touched it in months so maybe I can put XP on there now that I have an actual reason to.

Not planning on doing the timing belt any soon, but I would like to get the things I mentioned above taken care of before winter. If I can't get the maintenance records from Audi, I'll plan on doing it in the spring just to be sure.

As for the lights, I was looking at some Philips and Sylvania bulbs. Does anyone have any experience with these? They are substantially more expensive than the OEM Osram ones, but I've always had good luck with both of those brands. I'm going to try to get these done sooner than later as well; driving on backroads to get home with dull bulbs is not fun.

The place I bought it from told me that they had called the dealership it came from, and that it had the waterpump/belts/tensioners replaced. It would have been nice to get some paperwork proving this, though.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, small world, looks like lots of activity from Mainers right now. I guess this is where all the Audis end up to die. They live their early years around NYC and the wealthy areas, and then the become Subaru alternatives when they get old and affordable!

I have nothing useful to add other than you might start hearing creaks from the suspension now that it is getting colder up here. And check those drains!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
I'm in Cumberland, right on the Falmouth line. Just moved from Portland though.

Thanks for all of the good info MP4. I have a Windows partition on my Macbook Pro, but I think it's Win7. Haven't touched it in months so maybe I can put XP on there now that I have an actual reason to.

Not planning on doing the timing belt any soon, but I would like to get the things I mentioned above taken care of before winter. If I can't get the maintenance records from Audi, I'll plan on doing it in the spring just to be sure.

As for the lights, I was looking at some Philips and Sylvania bulbs. Does anyone have any experience with these? They are substantially more expensive than the OEM Osram ones, but I've always had good luck with both of those brands. I'm going to try to get these done sooner than later as well; driving on backroads to get home with dull bulbs is not fun.

The place I bought it from told me that they had called the dealership it came from, and that it had the waterpump/belts/tensioners replaced. It would have been nice to get some paperwork proving this, though.
If you find a friendly dealer service guy, they can run the VIN and see the service history for anything done w/ dealers.

Osram and Sylvania are the same co. On Osram side it would be the Nightbreaker Unlimiteds for somewhat more effectiveness; many on board have commented along those lines. There is a similar Philips product I think. My own sense is there has been incrementally more concern/sense about Philips counterfeiting, but hard to be sure about it almost no matter how hard you look unless you pay 3x plus at dealer. I look carefully, go w/ vendor w/ decent reviews, a reputation at a rational competitive price and clear return policy for defective product, even if not the rock bottom lowest price compared to one w/ no background info available.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by greginfinity
Ha, small world, looks like lots of activity from Mainers right now. I guess this is where all the Audis end up to die. They live their early years around NYC and the wealthy areas, and then the become Subaru alternatives when they get old and affordable!

I have nothing useful to add other than you might start hearing creaks from the suspension now that it is getting colder up here. And check those drains!!!!
Funny you mention that, NY is exactly where my car came from. Thanks for the reminder on the drains! I subbed a post I found with a how-to for those, but I need to add it to my list.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If you find a friendly dealer service guy, they can run the VIN and see the service history for anything done w/ dealers.

Osram and Sylvania are the same co. On Osram side it would be the Nightbreaker Unlimiteds for somewhat more effectiveness; many on board have commented along those lines. There is a similar Philips product I think. My own sense is there has been incrementally more concern/sense about Philips counterfeiting, but hard to be sure about it almost no matter how hard you look unless you pay 3x plus at dealer. I look carefully, go w/ vendor w/ decent reviews, a reputation at a rational competitive price and clear return policy for defective product, even if not the rock bottom lowest price compared to one w/ no background info available.
There's only one close dealership around here, so I'm hoping to build a good relationship with them. Hopefully they will be willing to provide the records, and just black out any previous owners personal information.

Do these look like the correct bulbs? Some of the reviews mention them being the correct OEM part, and not knockoffs.
Amazon.com: Osram / Sylvania Xenarc (Xenon) D2S Headlight Bulb # 66240 - NEW OEM - 35W / P32d-2 - Made in Germany: Automotive Amazon.com: Osram / Sylvania Xenarc (Xenon) D2S Headlight Bulb # 66240 - NEW OEM - 35W / P32d-2 - Made in Germany: Automotive
Old 11-10-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

D2S is the HID bulb type so yes on that. The ad though is a great example of exactly whom do you trust? It's on Amazon, and conveniently has that VW Audi box in the pic. But then read the feedback; it talks about Osram packaging (not VW/Audi packaging), and cheerfully talks about the fakes issue. And notice, vendor isn't Amazon, its a third party. So, do you trust or not. Two (only) reviews, both 5 star. Legit? Or, ?

Again, I try to use a high volume seller with a good amount of feedback and/or references around the web. Some even have pics of the bulbs, and other websites are out there that give tips on spotting fakes vs. real. I've never personally gotten a fake bulb as far as I know--replaced on a variety of cars now. But then I'm never sure they are absolutely legit either. The Nightbreakers I last got did come in a plastic case and supposedly from Osram and with a holographic seal on the container and all, but then honestly it could have all been cloned too. In any case Nightbreakers I last got (per Misha' and other positive feedback IIRC) were something like $175 for a pair, found via Google (less expensive places than Amazon) and checking vendor as best I could per above. They haven't knocked my socks off, but then I changed my bulbs once before. They are definitely as bright as what is in my wife's much newer Q5, and I haven't gone back to my favorite nighttime neighborhood dark wall yet to dial in any adjustment tweaks since replacing them. Another local D3 owner I helped with some other things was very impressed w/ them--older (and older eyes) than me and he was on original bulbs. He had a local indy shop put them in along w/ some other things he had fixed.

Anyway, D2S in your choice of brand. High volume, highly rated seller is my refrain.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-10-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MP4, is there a particular place that you like to source your bulbs from? I will also do a Google search and see what comes up.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Last place I bought from may have been retrofitsource.com, but I don't have any easy to find record of it. A larger vendor from what I could tell, Yelp and other reviews. The Retrofit Source | Innovative Headlight Upgrades xenon depot might have been another from the past, but they don't have the Nightbreakers I last went with: D2S bulb | D2S Xenon bulb The premium ones in Osram or Phillips are like 2x the $ of standard ones for a pair, but then either choice is a a fraction of what the dealer wants for a single bulb in the base type. The web sites have some further backgrounder info about bulbs.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plugs that were in my 05 were Bosch 7406 or FGR7KQE0.....if you haven't bought them yet and these are the ones you need, I still have two brand new ones sealed. PM me if you need them
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Last place I bought from may have been retrofitsource.com, but I don't have any easy to find record of it. A larger vendor from what I could tell, Yelp and other reviews. The Retrofit Source | Innovative Headlight Upgrades xenon depot might have been another from the past, but they don't have the Nightbreakers I last went with: D2S bulb | D2S Xenon bulb The premium ones in Osram or Phillips are like 2x the $ of standard ones for a pair, but then either choice is a a fraction of what the dealer wants for a single bulb in the base type. The web sites have some further backgrounder info about bulbs.
Thanks, I will probably end up ordering from them. Seem like a reputable place to buy from. After driving tonight in the rain, with these horrible headlights, it has been bumped to the top of my list.

Originally Posted by Mike141
The plugs that were in my 05 were Bosch 7406 or FGR7KQE0.....if you haven't bought them yet and these are the ones you need, I still have two brand new ones sealed. PM me if you need them
Thanks! I will probably take you up on that when I end up buying them, if you still have them.

Also going to add installing an AMI (if I can find one) and, fixing the apparently broken parking sensor (s) to my to-do list.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannibalacp82
How does one do this? I assume Nav is just buying the newest CD/DVD and throwing it in the drive. The MMI has me a bit confused though.
Updating the MMI is pretty easy. I went from 1190 to 3360.

It took me about and hour to complete the upgrade. There is a guy on here that created a YouTube video to show you the steps. I followed those steps and it worked perfectly.

No need to be confused, it is almost like updating from f gt

Quick Reply: New to Audi