A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front filler panel - have license bracket (2004/05)

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Need front filler panel - have license bracket (2004/05)

WTB or trade A8 license plate delete/filler panel D3 2004 -2005
I just bought a 2004 A8L and it came with (only) an unpainted panel with plate bracket. I would LOVE to trade for the panel without the plate holder.
Do the cars come with only the necessary one or does every dealer have a stack of the extras in the back room?
I have a classified ad here but thought I'd ask that question here while perhaps jogging someone's memory who has one and who wouldn't be looking at the classifieds.
Here is the thing in the exact color I need, Platinum Beige Pearl Effect (but I'd take any color of course).
Thanks to OEMPlus from whom I borrowed the image.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a front license plate holder for my 2004 D3 A8L, as here in LA we are being ripped off with stupid tickets...

What color code is yours ?

My color code is LY7Q (Atlas Grey Metallic)...
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi Mike,
Mine is unpainted, dark gray plastic, probably the way they come if you buy it from the dealer.

Here is what the car looks like without the piece.

When you see the 8 slots above and below it will make it easier the get the old one out. I read that it's best to pry the bottom ones apart first. I used old credit cards and a really wide screwdriver, press the tabs on the panel upward away from the car. Mine was hard to remove, I gave up three times before I got it - I thought for sure there must be screws holding it from behind, but no. Warm day + car facing the sun may have helped.
I have resigned myself to buy some touch-up paint in a spray can and spray my new one the color I need (beige). Sorry mine is not your color but at least the price is right - free! If you want to swap, I'll send mine first since you live in LA and therefore have learned not to trust anyone because everyone is looking out for their own interests - and no one else matters. (also, you have slightly more posts than me FWIW) My brother lives there and he has also had lots of fun dealing with LAPD and parking on many a car-related issue! I feel your pain!
Let me know the address by PM and I'll send mine.
Ciao for now dude (LA sign-off)
-Tom
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tom,

where are you located ?

I just did some research, and there is one important thing to keep in mind:

If your car has ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL (not just normal CRUISE CONTROL) you need a specific filler plate with holes for the adaptive cruise control sensors. My car (2004 D3 A8L) just has cruise control, so I don't need the holes.

There was a split in car models in 2004, if you could PM or send me your VIN I can find out if we are a match for each other - and I mean that car wise

Btw, if you buy this plate new from a dealer it comes unpainted as well... so you'll always have to paint it.

- M
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm near Nashville, my ZIP is 37075 (Hendersonville, TN).

I will NOT buy one from a dealer, too much $$$, I'd put a Euro plate there before I'd do that! but I have no problem with painting it.

My car has no ACC. if I tell you my VIN promise not to clone it and make another A8? On second thought, I don't give a crap if you do!

2004 AUDI A8 L QUATTRO AWD
VIN: WAUML44EX4N001183

You can see all the pics I have in the Autotrader ad which led me to it. I am surprised it's still up.

PM me your address and I'll send you the overpriced piece of plastic! (as long as you're sending yours)
-Tom
Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tom,

just PM'd you my address.

Any suggestions on the painting process ?

Thanks.

- M
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

this place in New Orleans was recommended by someone on the forum... seem reasonable - $20 for a 12 oz can (aerosol).
Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default SOLD - TRADED -

so why can't I EDIT the first stupid post, instead of "bumping" and old ad that is no longer valid? Silly.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
so why can't I EDIT the first stupid post, instead of "bumping" and old ad that is no longer valid? Silly.
Have to have 25 or 30 posts before you can edit. Dunno why.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

update for all who will be attempting the same thing:

I took out today the filler plate on my 2004 D3 A8L... really annoying work... I checked with a body shop before I attempted and they told me they would have to take out the front bumper (which includes then re-aligning the lights) which goes into the thousands... Audi - THESE MONKEYS - said the same thing... The first 2 times I called in the person did not even know what a filler plate was and what I was referring to... Audi USA is so embarrassing... I'm originally from Germany, and if they would ever state the idiotic nonsense I've heard from Audi over here they would all get fired (or not be hired in the first place)... this forum provides WAY (!!!) more accurate information than any Audi dealership in Cali... but they do charge 250 bucks for a UNPAINTED piece of plastic (--> our beloved filler plate / license plate holder) that is worth 80 cents...

Anyways, as seen on the pic from aTOMic below, there are 8 hooks (for the filler plate). If you hit them perfectly, they are easier to pop out but obviously it's a hit and miss situation b/c u don't know where the hooks are...

I had the license plate holder here so I could see where 6 of the 8 hooks are (license plate holder only has 6 hooks)... the 2 hooks that I could not see (bottom side) where really, really annoying... especially as they do not align with the corresponding 2 hooks on the top side (keep that in mind), so u have to guess...

I worked with a really wide screwdriver (took the thinnest one I had) but I still put in a lot of dents in the surrounding frame plastic at the location of the 2 hooks that I could not pinpoint... only good thing is that license plate rectangle covers exactly that portion of the frame...

also - funny enough - the plastic frame around the filler plate / license plate is VERY soft and will immediately get dents but the filler plate plastic itself is much stronger and is much more forgiving...

after I got the filler plate out, there were 2 metal screws in the location where the 2 metal holes are (see aTOMic's pic below). If you have these too, you will have to take th3 screws out as the license plate holder has 2 circular shaped bumpers on the inside exactly where these screws are so you would not be able to insert the license plate holder correctly if you leave the screws in...

And now I'm off to the Beverly Hills PD to get all these front-license-plate tickets reduced...

- M

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need front filler panel - have license bracket (2004/05)