A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navigation version 11 update

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williebone
Based on your description of incidents, it sounds like you replaced your 07 Control Head Unit with Updated Software, but did not Update the other Modules. To me this would cause some major concerns and it seems that your troubles are starting with the Nav Unit. I would get the Latest Software Update Disc and try to run the Install/Update to bring the other Unit's Software Current including the Nav. Good luck! Laters,
I didnt update to 4610. When i replaced the control unit after the spill the unit that came with the 4610 cd. Im sure i can find the 4610 update cd but im afraid that i will black out the mmi system.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subit0
I also concur with the idea that you should update the other control modules on the car, but you might also consider try using a less recent Nav disc. I suspect you could find one for sale for cheap, either here or on eBay (but you should really only purchase an original disc, not a burned copy).
when i purchased the car it came with a burned nav cd. didnt know until it decided to work when it wanted to. i been combing for version 9. and will most likely sell version 11
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default FWIW, I'm at version 8...

having been upgraded from version 6 by the dealer at some point to deal with a disk read error. Version 8 has worked fine with any of the last three MMI updates, including current 4610. Navteq pulled v 7 from the market early on (I talked to them on the phone about it), and other reports independent said it had bugs. Anyway, if you can find a v 8 more easily than v 9, my own report is it works just fine. No one (Navteq and Audi included) have ever convincingly explained any changes that really matter on any of these later versions. The marketing spin is always newer and better, but pretty lacking in specifics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think some here are confusing MMI/ module updates with the Navigation updates. When you install newer NAV discs they update the NAV through the DVD drive. It sounds like this is the update that isn't taking.

It might not allow it to take without updating the MMI software and they seem to be recommending against that for fear of shorting out the telephone module.

Why not just run version 10? You can find it in torrents pretty easily and the update will take with your software. I wouldn't feel guilty about downloading it either since you technically paid for a newer version that you wouldn't be using.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_k
...You can find it in torrents pretty easily and the update will take with your software. I wouldn't feel guilty about downloading it either since you technically paid for a newer version that you wouldn't be using.
That was actually where I was going with my question earlier. I was curious whether the source was suspect in any way.

I have actually located and obtained MMI and Nav discs via "less than honorable" means. At the last minute I decided I wouldn't install them, and procured legitimate copies.

I'm not debating the ethicacy of Torrents. The honest truth is that I simply wasn't willing to tuck my tail and ask for help from the dealer when my "less than honorable" update software screwed the pooch for me.

There are certain things A8 owners should never cheap-out on. Update sources are one of them. And, VAG-Com cables, and so on, and so on. There are plenty of folks out there that will allow someone to use their discs for the price of a lunch. That's a pretty small price to pay for peace of mind.

Carry on!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Update your mmi version and this should be solved.
Why would he want to update his MMI version?? He just said that he has the latest version already for MMI (4610 is the latest).

I don't understand the phone "shorting out" thing?? No software update is going to physically short out wiring. It make make the phone cradle useless, but so what, you can't use it anymore anyway because no phone company in the USA will let you activate a phone that would work with it.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Listen here you ignorant troll. This thread is 4 months old. On top of that. When I did answer him and tell him to update his mmi, he didn't say which version he was on whatsoever. You also have no idea what your talking about concerning phone operators activating compatible phones. There is actually an iPhone cradle. There is no reason a phone company wouldn't activate a older phone even if activation had anything to do with this, as a cradle is just that. A cradle.
Thread closed.

Originally Posted by kbaum17
Why would he want to update his MMI version?? He just said that he has the latest version already for MMI (4610 is the latest).

I don't understand the phone "shorting out" thing?? No software update is going to physically short out wiring. It make make the phone cradle useless, but so what, you can't use it anymore anyway because no phone company in the USA will let you activate a phone that would work with it.

Last edited by Brozee; 01-18-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 04 with the tele cradle, and onstar. I am certain that the car has an older version of software. Can I just buy the newest navteq disk and expect it to work? How do I go about updating the software?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be able to no problem. Generally you are supposed to be at MMI version 33.6 or newer when combining it with a navigation disk of ver.4 or newer. Ver. 4 = 2004/5 maps.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
You should be able to no problem. Generally you are supposed to be at MMI version 33.6 or newer when combining it with a navigation disk of ver.4 or newer. Ver. 4 = 2004/5 maps.
In fact, you don't need as high an MMI version as high as 3360 (3.3.60) to work with Nav version 4. Version 4 will work just fine on MMI 0600...that is how Audi shipped the 2004 cars in the US.

Quick Reply: navigation version 11 update