A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Discs 2006 A8L W12

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As Johnny says it has to be 2G.

Wouldn't it be nice to load Google maps. Free and always fresh.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar

I'm sure it will come, cars really are lagging the rest of our digital lives in the software department.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not free though - Audi Connect costs per month.
$30 monthly, or $15/mo if you prepay 30 months.
Oh, and if you want traffic you pay extra to SiriusXM.

Originally Posted by snapdragon
I'm sure it will come, cars really are lagging the rest of our digital lives in the software department.
It has already - sort of.
Nav+ shows Google Earth overlay.

Sadly you still have to pay to update the Audi Navigation maps stored on the hard drive.
Maps + license key on SD card are in the neighborhood of $1,000 from what I can gather.

Hopefully MIP will change a lot of this on the next refresh....
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks, gents.

Yes, google maps free and fresh would be a perfect world.

I've ordered the correct DVD from Ebay. We'll see it it works without updating.

Cheerio from here,

Richard.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi Navigation Success

Originally Posted by Limoncello
disks are only about £5 in the UK, you can download them online if you want but i would reccomend getting the real thing.

although its reccomended to hook up extra power during the update no one does, this was info taken from audi dealer information. most leave the car running.

as the last post says, once its running dont touch anything

I have been meaning to comment on the results of the upgrade.

I ordered the Europa disc from an Ebay member for £5 GBP. I put it in my US spec W12 and...of course...it told me it was not-compatible. Waited. Waited. Waited. Followed the instructions and attempted to programme. Fail.

I didn't drive the car much last summer due to the nice weather instead switching to my convertible.

In the fall I stated driving the W12 again and to my surprise the Navi maps were functioning and showing my exact location in Spain. However, I could not use the directions features. When I added a destination it would begin to navigate and then tell me I was at my destination in about 8 seconds. A few weeks later I just for giggles tried the navigation feature from my village in the Costa Brava in Spain to Barcelona and it worked beautifully. Has been fully functional since.

No idea what I did...or didn't but it sorted itself in spite of me. Very pleased. Thank you to the all of you who assisted me in getting my navigation up and running in Spain.

Kind regards,

Richard.
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased the 2013-14 nav dvd for my 2005 A8 (Part No. 4E0 060 884 DJ - NOT DB AS STATED ABOVE). As Navteq no longer sells these dvds, I purchased it from the dealer for the outrageous cost of $250. The new maps seemed to be working at first and then the MMI asked me if I wanted to install new software. I said yes, and after a lengthy installation process, the nav system started up again and THERE WERE NO STREET NAMES ON THE MAP ANYMORE. So I went for a fairly decent system to a really crappy system. I sent an email to Audi about this and they said the dealer would reach out to me about an additional software upgrade that I need (a "ZUG" update). The dealer did not reach out to me so after a couple of weeks I reached out to them. After a couple of email exchanges, I was informed that I have to bring the car in for a software update and that it would cost me an additional $250, plus there was a chance I would need further module updates that would cost even more. Here is the end of the email chain:

We would need to update the system to the latest software it cost about $250.00. There is a chance that another module could crash from the update and need to be replaced. I has happened enough that we give the warning up front. It takes between 2-3 hours so you would probably want to leave it if you make an appointment.

JOHN ANDERSEN
Audi Fairfield
Service Manager
(203)335-3919
jandersen@penskeautomotive.com

So obviously I'm not happy about this situation, especially since Google Maps on my Android phone actually works fine and what do I need the built in system for anyway. If anyone has experienced something similar I would be interested to hear about it.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can go back to the previous DVD or update your MMI software yourself. Buy CD's from a dealer online and it will take about one hour of your time.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default +1 that DJ is the recently released newest map version

installed on my 46xx updated system w/ no issues; it ran a software update briefly too, but nothing unusual came of it.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I suspect what I need is the MMI software update. I have never updated the software since purchasing the car new in 2005. Perhaps this is what the dealer wants to charge me $250 for.

It sounds like you did some pretty cool mods on your A8 W12. Mine is now 8+ years old with 95k miles and yet looks and drives pretty much like new. I got the extended warranty (still about 18 months left on it) and it has paid for itself due to a couple of expensive repairs. For example, a failed temperature sensor required the engine to be removed in order to replace it ... that would have been a $3000 repair. I did have to spend $1200 on some front suspension work that is not covered, but that is to be expected. Aside from upgrading to 275/35R/20Y Mich Pilot A/S 3 tires and 20x9 Mannheim wheels (not OEM but they still look great I think) the car is all stock. I still enjoy driving it on the twisty back roads I take to work every day, and it is great for passengers as well. It's a gas guzzler, approx. 15 mpg, and as it gets older the cost of repairs will probably skyrocket, but I'm inclined to hold onto it as long as possible. It's kind of a classic, and one of the few cars I can fit into comfortably (I'm 6'6" and most cars don't have sufficient head or legroom for me).
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=divedoggy;24541359] a failed temperature sensor required the engine to be removed in order to replace it ... that would have been a $3000 repair. QUOTE]

So they say.....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2852419&page=2