A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is My Transmission ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My Transmission ruined?

Hi guys, I have a 2006 Audi A8.

Some malicious guy got in conflict with me and he secretly released the transmission oil out of my car

I didn't know so I turned on the engine and shifted and did not feel any engagement, like nothing was there. I think panel shows it went into safe mode as all the gear.numbers are lit up. Talked to a couple of mechanics and they said the gears are gone.

If I didn't turn on engine and shift gear, they could just fill the oil and get it going again
But because I turned one the engine and shifted, the gears are grinded together and locked up. They said.

Could you confirm this? I think you know better than them.

​​
​​​​​​

Old 01-26-2024, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

As you didn’t actually drive anywhere, and only ran it a short time, it’s probably ok. Refill it with the correct fluid and see if it starts to work.

Curious though what sort of conflict you got into to cause someone to go to the effort of draining your trans oil. Super weird and specific revenge. Although how did you not notice 10 liters trans oil under the car?
The following users liked this post:
adobian (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

This post begs for a backstory, but as far as the transmission is concerned, if there was no fluid in it, then nothing really happened. No fluid means the torque converter didn't transfer any torque to the transmission and essentially spun freely. Shifting into gears would also have done nothing, because to make anything engage in the transmission it needs hydraulic pressure and w/o fluid that's not gonna happen. Now it's possible that the hydraulic pump got damaged along with the input side of the torque converter such as the bearings, but on the output side most likely nothing actually moved. Unfortunately, you won't really know until you take the torque converter apart and inspect it along with the hydraulic pump. I hope you know the guy and reported him to the police.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-26-2024 at 04:54 PM.
adobian (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
As you didn’t actually drive anywhere, and only ran it a short time, it’s probably ok. Refill it with the correct fluid and see if it starts to work.

Curious though what sort of conflict you got into to cause someone to go to the effort of draining your trans oil. Super weird and specific revenge. Although how did you not notice 10 liters trans oil under the car?
I thought it was engine oil as I checked and engine oil was low
Old 01-27-2024, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

Short version--besides the whack job perp--is likely still ok.

Meantime, do you have comprehensive insurance?---the sister to collision for at fault crashes. But you may not be in USA, and that terminology is for US flavor insurance. Anyway, those broader insurance elements typically include at fault accident damage, broken windshields/screens, road collision with moving objects (rocks, birds, road trash, etc.). Vandalism is also buried in those. With a police report they often require, you would have that taken care of---if you have insurance relating to vandalism. I got paint egg damage covered on a prior Audi with that. Net,. if your insurance covers the category, the fluid work alone could approach the deductible cost. At this car age, you would be better off dropping pan and replacing the filter while doing new fluid too. And if damaged, then its an insurance repair, or could well be a vehicle total if old, high miles, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-27-2024 at 05:01 PM.
adobian (01-28-2024)