A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 S8 what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S8 what to do?

Hey! I’m new here, and am in a quandary. I have a 2007 S8 with about 165k on it. It was a one owner car when I bought it at about 160k. It is has been throwing codes, going into limp mode. My mechanic seems to have tracked it down to a bad ECM. When he swapped it left to right, it followed the switch. I made the poor decision to send the bad one off to an aftermarket module place that could reprogram without needing the dealer supposedly. Didn’t work. Dealer is about 4hrs away for reference. I’m torn now between paying to haul it to dealer and get one or possibly two new ecms or just selling as is.
It is in really decent shape for its age. I have a huge binder of work the previous owner did. It was his daily driver in LA. Carbon cleaning and new injectors at 155k. We did new throttle bodies recently. It has been sitting in a barn at my mechanics since Covid though. Out of sight, out of mind, but I need to do something with it. Thoughts from the general public?

Just some pics for reference. That is weird lighting on the hood, not stripes.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Dealer will charge you for whole new ECM. Or buy a used good ECM and have dealer code it to the car. Either way, dealer needs to be involved, so call them up, get some rough estimates and go from there.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You live and learn with these vehicles. It sounds like the previous owner treated it immaculately, and it does not look like a 165k mile car by any means. If I were you I would bite the bullet and get the ECMs done. These are very robust engines, electronics are the achilles heel. Treat it as a fun project and get another 165k miles out of it with diligent care. While you're at it, get it detailed and covered in PPF.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

@mtnsandrivers ,
Please explain what the issue is now after said reprogramming, and what exactly do you mean by them reprogramming it, did you mean repair it, as in bad solder, or pins ?

Does the vehicle now have the immobilizer active because of the programming that was done ?

What are the fault codes??

Johnny
Old 04-07-2022, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

@mtnsandrivers ,
A response would be appreciated...
Old 05-12-2022, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
@mtnsandrivers ,
A response would be appreciated...
I apologize for the long delay. Life got in the way and my mechanic was in Hawaii for the last 3 weeks.
I visited him today and ran the car to the car wash.
It is showing EPC on the dash as well as EPS fault.
What he is telling me is that basically it is not recognizing one of the throttle bodies. Both are new Bosch units. He spent time on Vag-Com or Rosstech (maybe the same?) and they could see the open/close levels working on both throttle bodies. They suspected resistance possibly causing wiring issues, but wiring seemed to check out.
one ECM was supposedly repaired (soldered I believe) from an aftermarket Module company but that might have been a bogus repair. He is going to dig up the file that has actual codes. Swapping sides with the ECMs, issue shifted accordingly so he swapped back. He was slammed today unfortunately while I was there.
Might list it here as is, and if no takers, haul it to the dealer and bite the bullet.
Cleaned up nicely. Body just has a few scratches and chips, minor cracks in grill. Interior pretty solid shape. Some minor fading, but front seats had been recovered a few years ago. 167miles.
Does anyone have an opinion of what I should ask as a starting point? My thought was $5k