A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mmi replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmi replacement

I have searched this site several times over looking for a way to remove and replace the mmi control assembly (p.n. # 4E1 919 612 M) on a 2004 a8l. Came up with nothing so i decided to undertake this task myself hoping not to break anything. Well I didnt and actually the swap was really easy. I remembered halfway thru to take pics so the first few steps will have no pics. its also a good rule of thumb to go to the audi dealer and ask them for the small metal clips that holds the trim down to the center console. they costed like $1.74 for all four.

TOOLS NEEDED:
TORX Bits ranging from t15-t30 (don't remember which one I used but its between this range).

STEP 1: put the car in neutral to move the shifter out of the way. i recommend don't leave the car on after this step.

STEP 2: remove the astray insert. there's an eject button but the cig. lighter.

STEP 3: in the space where the ashtray insert was there is a torx screw there holding everything in place.

STEP 4: Pull the rest of the ashtray unit out SLOWLY it is attached to a cable. remove the cable. remember to press the release buttons on the clip or you will BREAK IT.

STEP 5: reach inside the space where the ashtray was with the PALM of your hand facing the shifter and pull up SLOWLY on the trim b/c the mmi and cup holder is attached to cables. There is four pins holding the trim in place one on the left and right side of the shifter and two just a bit further back towards the cup holders.

STEP 6: disconnect the cables and remove the trim with the mmi and cup holder connected to it.

STEP 7: unscrew the parking break. there are two torx screws holding it down. before continuing to remove the mmi I suggest putting the parking break on the new mmi control assembly using the same screws.

STEP 8: There is four screws holding the mmi to the trim. slide the old mmi out and slide the new one in and screw it back in. this would be a good time to inspect the small metal clips that hold the trim down to the center console. replace them if needed.

STEP 9: connect all the leads and place everything back together.

NOTE:
Part number shown in the picture is compatible. the only difference from 4E1 919 621 M and 4E1 919 621 H is M has CD and H has CD/AUX
Attached Images