A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default "CHECK DISK" may be caused by the MOST optical bus

Originally Posted by Paveldn
Thanks Louis

I do not have any problem with the MMI. I installed Ver 4610.. fixed all the items that dropped (Including AC setup display).

My version of Nav is the 12-13 (Non-OEM from east Europe) It functions well, though i still get from time to time a check disk (like every 2 to 3 week or so).

It may also be an issue with the Nav player itself.. still not sure but it is not that annoying at this time.

I will let you know if I need the OEM ver 6 later, or I might just wait fro next years Ver and buy OEM from Audiparts USA.

Thanks Again for the offer.
Well, I had a few "check disk" incidents, but only when I was removing and install the navigation dvd in/out while doing the TV and RVC retrofit, but since it's mounted solidly back in place, no more "check disk".
Why do you get 12-13 from Europe? US NAV disk from Europe?
After I retrofitted the <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/q7-navigation-retrofit.html">Navigation from Q7</a>, I realized the "check disk" definitely caused by the MOST Optical bus. When the MOST optical bus malfunctioned, the "check disk" was there until I got everything straightened out.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Well, I had a few "check disk" incidents, but only when I was removing and install the navigation dvd in/out while doing the TV and RVC retrofit, but since it's mounted solidly back in place, no more "check disk".
Why do you get 12-13 from Europe? US NAV disk from Europe?
After I retrofitted the <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/q7-navigation-retrofit.html">Navigation from Q7</a>, I realized the "check disk" definitely caused by the MOST Optical bus. When the MOST optical bus malfunctioned, the "check disk" was there until I got everything straightened out.

Cheers,

Louis
Sorry for the misunderstanding....The disk is the US 20012/13 ver... but it was purchased for $99 from that vender that was used by some of the others in the forum. That Vendor is in East Europe.

I will pull the Nav drive some time to double check all the connections in the back.. that could be the issue.. but I need to get the "keys" to pull it properly.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh.. i did check the Most system with a friends VCDS.. all is good there on both the Optical and electrical side of the system.

Dan
Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Paveldn
I will pull the Nav drive some time to double check all the connections in the back.. that could be the issue.. but I need to get the "keys" to pull it properly.
Check disk is caused by combination of a bit dirty laser lens and home burned DVD. Cleaning the lens requires disassembling the unit. Quite doable. Cleaning disc doesn't work because it stops when not right disc is detected.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick update: popped in the 2012-2013 disc, it did a software update and all seems to be functioning well so far. I'll test it this week, and if all continues to go well I'll pop in the v5 disc back in and see if it works as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nathanwind
Quick update: popped in the 2012-2013 disc, it did a software update and all seems to be functioning well so far. I'll test it this week, and if all continues to go well I'll pop in the v5 disc back in and see if it works as well.
Annnnnddddd....my Nav now gives the "check disc" error. Went to use mine this morning, and was getting nothing out of the so-called 2012-2013 disc, just the error via MMI.

Had a momentary freak-out when I popped back in my original V5 disc...and kept getting the same error. Even rebooted the MMI several times, still the same. Shut the car off/on...still the same error.

Finally, shut the car off & locked/unlocked the doors. That did the trick and it re-read the original V5 disc at startup and all functions fine (the way it did before). So I guess that ultimately answers the backwards-compatible question.

Does not resolve my $99 down the drain on the 2012-2013 disc. I'll try to put it in one more time and see if I can get it to function, but if not I'll be promptly asking for my money back and/or filing a claim with PayPal.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwind
Actually the only reason I decided to take the plunge, was that I saw in several places - including audiusaparts - that they advertised it as "2012-2013". Also saw the same on Amazon as well...links below:

http://audiusaparts.com/parts/index....&siteid=215820

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BR3Z3ME

There's also a photo of said DVD on the bottom left of the audiusaparts.com homepage at the moment as well...and looked just like the one advertised on the other website.

But yes, I agree I likewise am starting to have doubts after the issue described here.
Nathanwind, thanks for the recommendation. You are correct. We offer OEM Genuine Factory parts.

We appreciate your business and looking forward to working with you in the future!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the 2013-14 nav dvd for my 2005 A8 W12 (Part No. 4E0 060 884 DJ). As Navteq no longer sells these dvds, I purchased it from the dealer for the outrageous cost of $250. The new maps seemed to be working at first and then the MMI asked me if I wanted to install new software. I said yes, and after a lengthy installation process, the nav system started up again and THERE WERE NO STREET NAMES ON THE MAP ANYMORE. So I went for a fairly decent system to a really crappy system. I sent an email to Audi about this and they said the dealer would reach out to me about an additional software upgrade that I need (a "ZUG" update). The dealer did not reach out to me so after a couple of weeks I reached out to them. After a couple of email exchanges, I was informed that I have to bring the car in for a software update and that it would cost me an additional $250, plus there was a chance I would need further module updates that would cost even more. Here is the end of the email chain:

We would need to update the system to the latest software it cost about $250.00. There is a chance that another module could crash from the update and need to be replaced. I has happened enough that we give the warning up front. It takes between 2-3 hours so you would probably want to leave it if you make an appointment.

JOHN ANDERSEN
Audi Fairfield
Service Manager
(203)335-3919
jandersen@penskeautomotive.com

So obviously I'm not happy about this situation, especially since Google Maps on my Android phone actually works fine and what do I need the built in system for anyway. If anyone has experienced something similar I would be interested to hear about it.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Edit...accidentally duplicated my info stated above (about putting the old disc back in). That's what happens when you're reading the small screen on an iProduct .

Last edited by nathanwind; 02-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You also do not need to post it twice.

Quick Reply: MMI Navigation Upgrade