A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illuminated Door Sills Installed

Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Illuminated Door Sills Installed

Finally installed the factory illuminated door sills that have been in my garage for too long to admit. Anyway, turned out very nice, well I think so. Got some input from Awdinut and some others, mostly outside the US on a simpler installation than described in the Audi authored 30 page instructions (yes 30 pages) which includes removal of most of the lower dash. Without opening up the dash I was able to wire it so the rear doors light up the rear sills only; and the front doors only illuminate the fronts. Drilling holes into the body is not for the faint of heart, and the single reason I kept putting it off.

Special thanks to a group of BMW friends which have done many DIY projects in the past but 1st one on the Audi

Here’s a video link on the finished product:

Last edited by Galco; 02-17-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Very cool. I would be afraid to drill into body work but I'm fairly conservative about things.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I like that
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice touch! Great job!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job and looks fantastic! When you say "factory" did you get these from Audi or aftermarket?

Would love to have that on my A6.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks great where can one find these sills?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by estallido
Awesome job and looks fantastic! When you say "factory" did you get these from Audi or aftermarket?

Would love to have that on my A6.
Thanks! These are Genuine Audi Accessories parts that came from Audi, not an aftermarket item. I'm not aware of an A6 version, but they could be out there.

Originally Posted by AndreNY
looks great where can one find these sills?

Thanks
I found these on German Ebay (ebay.de) and had them shipped to the US. They are nice and add a nice touch while looking like they belong, which is the way I prefer my mods - stay with the feel of the original.

Thanks for the comments.
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Drilling the holes was a BIG concern (pics)

I guess I too am conservative as I hesitate for a long time in search of an alternative installation method to avoid the drilling. I wasn't able to find one. Since these are factory accessories approved by Audi and car is a bit older, and these things had been sitting in my garage for a looong time, I took the plunge.

Again, not for the faint of heart...
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I glad you finally installed them, I have wondered from time to time what ever happened with that project. As the pain of installation recedes in the distance I think youll find the effort worthwhile...even though I have had them for several years in my car I still find them to be a nice surprise when I open a door at night.

I should think you and I have the only illuminated D3 A8 sills in the US ? I believe they are offered in the US on D4 A8s now, but they are not very striking as the size of the lighted graphic is quite small if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by awdinut; 02-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
I should think you and I have the only illuminated D3 A8 sills in the US ?
Thanks again for you installation suggestions and technical input. I think you are correct, you were the only other US D3 owner that I found that had experience with these sills. There are others scattered through Europe, but very few of those as well.

Glad to know that after several years you still enjoy them and obviously they are still working, which is also good news.

If your interested, I did find a way to wire the rear sills to activate only when the rear doors open. Look under the front seats from the front and you will see several wire connectors. Look for the gray connector and find pin #15 I think its a white with blue strip wire - that's your girl! It is the lead for the rear seat foot wells lights and perfect for the trigger of the rear relay of the illuminated sills.

Also, I was very careful with the invertors and only installed them after all the wiring was done to prevent burning them out like many others experienced.

A bit of fussing around and digging through the interior but they are cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sills Installed