A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose ball bearings in belly pan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:34 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loose ball bearings in belly pan?

Removed the belly pan and found these metallic pieces loose in it. I don’t see anything broken that they could have come from. I just cleaned the belly pan last week 500 miles ago when I changed the oil. Any ideas what they are from?
Old 12-08-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Not sure, but if I were you I’d be looking (and listening) VERY carefully to all belt driven components, pulleys, rollers, etc. Both timing and ancillary systems.

Looks like you may be on borrowed time with something.
The following users liked this post:
DA8 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:50 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Not sure, but if I were you I’d be looking (and listening) VERY carefully to all belt driven components, pulleys, rollers, etc. Both timing and ancillary systems.

Looks like you may be on borrowed time with something.

it does seem like there is some mild noise from the engine more than normal just a little. I wonder what bearing it could be. I didn’t see anything. I cannot imagine bearing parts could drop out of the timing covers. That area is pretty tightly sealed around the crank pulls. I checked the generator looks fine. Everything is working fine.

Reason I had the belly pan off was because I’m pulling the ABS module to send in for a rebuild with Modulemasters.

But those parts must have from the car somewhere...
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

+1 on dvs dave's reply. Does your A/C work if you have it on? Besides the "normal" timing belt type pulleys (which are under the covers so really should not be ejecting parts outside), I suspect maybe the HVAC compressor front pulley. Mine fell apart on the D3 W12, though I don't remember any more if it had bearings inside of it. Bits of rubber on the belly pan up by where the serp belt travels is another clue to look hard at that one. As it failed, it made gravelly noises like a bad water pump as well las some squeals. Revving the motor killed it for good pretty fast.

Given it is likely outside the timing belt covers covers, look at the serpentine belt tensioner too. Or, maybe just take time to release the serpentine belt via the tensioner and then hand spin each moving part. Needs immediate attention if it is spitting out bearing pieces.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-20-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

On my D2, I had a belt tensioner blow its barrings all over my belly shield. There was a definite change in the sound coming from the engine, and I lost power steering. It was put on a flatbed and sent to my mechanic.

I don't know it this is comparable but wanted to share.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Well I drove it tonight down to Seattle. On the way back I lost power steering and the battery light came on. Sure enough it was the tensioner pulley totally blew out. audiusa.com $133.34. Hope I can get one by this weekend.

2 problems at once, first the ABS module, now the belt tensioner. Good news is they are both fairly simple.

anyone know if the tensioner can be changed out without removing the radiator and front end?

nathanwind (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

When did you last have the timing belt service done? You might want to take a closer look at that system too as it may be in a similar condition to the ancillary drive system.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Tensioner and pulley replacement post

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ement-2962194/

Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

I did the full timing belt with the oil cooler a couple years ago, about 30K miles since then. So that should all be good under the covers.

But I've never changed the serpentine idlers or tensioner. Should I change the idlers too?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DA8
But I've never changed the serpentine idlers or tensioner. Should I change the idlers too?
I have always assumed that replacing old parts that wear was the norm.

The idlers and tensioners are basically bearings

From the picture you posted, it appears that the bearings disintegrated because of contaminated grease (like an engine running on dirty oil).

The other bearing will likely be in the same condition.

If you are in a pinch and you can take of the seals clean and repack those bearings. Some austere youtubers claim that if you maintain bearings they will last forever.

But these parts are reasonable priced that you just replace them with new ones whenever you touch these parts.

DA8 (12-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Loose ball bearings in belly pan?