A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into purchasing an 06ish A8. A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into purchasing an 06ish A8. A few questions...

I'm a newbie, but I'm getting pretty "into" my car search. I don't want to spend over $35,000. I want the look of an '06 or newer (front). I'm a younger guy and think the long body is a little "too much" for me. From what I've seen, about 75% of the vehicles are long bodies.

1)Changes: Were there major changes from 06-2010? Probably small things like the bluetooth may not be as good, navi cd may be old, etc? Or is it major stuff in the way of options, or minor body changes? I don't need it completely loaded to the gills (solar roof, massage, etc), but do want it pretty loaded up. Solar roof would actually be nice here in SC. I'd assume and hope navi is standard even in '06? Maybe the more standard wheels are bigger and a little better looking in the last 3 years when compared to 06-07? You tell me...I'm just trying to learn.

2)Because I want to stay under $35,000 I know that I may need to make some sacrifices. If you were me, what would those sacrifices be? Obviously there are going to be fairly substantial miles on the one I purchase. In your opinions, what is the "danger zone"? I know there are so many variables (how meticulous was owner, what is service history, highway or city miles, etc. Let's assume the owner was a decent guy, but probably not as "into" his Audi as most of us.

3) What are the major service intervals? I'd imagine this puppy won't be as cheap to maintain as my japanese vehicles. Probably a big $ service somewhere near 45K-60K? What are the major issues that I need to look out for on a 4-5 year old Audi with 50K plus miles?

4) I'm big on having navi. How much does it cost and how complicated would it be to update an 06 navi to a 2010? Just a disc for say $250?

Thanks for your help guys. I've been impressed with some posts I've read. You're real experts and seem to be willing to help.

Thomas
Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll try to answer some of your questions althought I'm not expert on the differences between '06 and '10. My D3 is an '05 and I'm planning on keeping it for a long time because I'm not a fan of the "Bass mouth" front of the newer models. Navigation is standard on all A8 models and you can update by ordering a new disc. I also think the vehicle software can be updated to later versions. The solar roof is great, I love it here in Florida, but, it is not a very common option, so maybe hard to find. Dealer service on the A8 is not cheap, my 65k service (a basic service) was around $300. The 55k and 35k services are more, especially the 75k which calls for replacement of the timing belt - I hear it is over $1,000. If you can get a certified car the extra warranty is nice - I just had a rear wheel bearing replaced under the certified warranty, an expensive repair otherwise. If not certified, I suggest you purchase an extended warranty from a reputable source.

You should have no problem finding an '06 with around 40k miles for $35k, don't be afraid to offer well below asking price, these cars are not selling well - at least in my area. My car is a short wheelbase model but, I really don't notice any difference in normal driving between it and the A8L, and there are a lot more of them to choose from, so unless you dislike the proportion of the L, there is no pressing reason to avoid it.

My car came with 19" wheels, but I'm currently running 18" because they are quieter and ride better. I don't track the car and on normal roads, even spirited driving in the GA mountains, the handling on the 18's is very good for a big sedan.

Hope this info helps.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything A540MN just said I completely agree with. I love the look of the pre facelift A8's. Personally I don't like how much the new a8's look just like the new a6's. The 2005 A8's were very distinguishable. But you should have no problem finding one in your price range like you said. And as 540 said he is completely right, these are not flying off the shelves and actually the cars have really bad resale values. I absolutely love my A8, which is a 2005. Even the gas mileage really isn't bad at all for how big of a car it is. Only thing that sucks is the giant repair bills. I've had to get the gears that power the LCD screen replaced as well as a brake light switch. Just the labor costs a ton!

3. Service intervals are just about every 10k for oil changes, then a 55k and a 80k timing belt change. Besides that you'll have to change the plugs sometimes.

4. Navigation is simple as ever. You won't need a manual to figure it out just messing around in 5-10 minutes is all you need. And the updated disc version is $199, I've tried copied discs from friends or backups but none of them consistenly worked.

Hope it helps !
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

Here are the 2010 MY changepoints---

A8 4.2 FSI quattro and A8L 4.2 FSI quattro model year 2010 changes:

• W12 engine not available in the 2010 model year
• S8 not available in the 2010 model year
• Espresso Brown, Linen Beige, Light Gray and Impala Beige interior colors discontinued
• LED daytime running lights on all trims
• 19-inch wheels standard on all normal wheelbase models
• Trunk lid with S8 spoiler standard on normal wheelbase models
• Optional carbon fiber interior inlays available on normal wheelbase models
• Ventilated massage front seats standard on long wheelbase models
• Contrasting stitching and piping on long wheelbase models

Additionally, major changes between 2006 MY and 2007+ are:

1. 350-hp FSI 4.2 V8 introduced in 2007 MY---replaced 335-hp 4.2 V8. FWIW...FSI engines use chain-driven timeing belt.

2. New LED tail light treatment introduced with 2008 MY re-fresh.

3. W12 front grill with chrome strips and rectangular fog lamps on all A8 trims starting in MY 2008.

4. Upgraded steering/handling with S8 steering rack used in all A8 trims beginning in MY 2008.

5. Revised/improved air suspension in MY 2008.

6. New sound insulation used beginning with 2008 MY.

7. Turn signals incorporated in sideview mirrors on all A8/S8 starting with 2008 MY.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 499 Posts
Default I will try my go at simplifying/big picture and back to your original questions...

sticking here more to larger themes of model changes and things that affect choice of year.

Some trend/clear change points to your post.

1. Style wise, the single biggest change was to the fishmouth grill. I think that was 2006 for 4.2's (W12's always had it, which starts in 2005). It is a style matter, but does tie to the basic design themes of all current year/model Audi's and may keep the car "more contemporary" among Audi's even with the D4 arrival w/in the next year.

2. Mechanically and for long term maintenance, as well as some power and fuel economy, the big change (for 4.2's) was 2007 when the motor was shifted from the long running belt driven cams to chain driven cams. Besides the modest but noticable power and economy increase, that takes out a big expense currently recommended at the 75K interval for the belt driven 4.2's--$500 as a (fairly difficult) DIY, $1000 give or take several hundred at a good indy mechanic and maybe $1800-2000 at a dealer, assuming changes of pulleys, tensioner, water pump, seals, etc. as is often done/recommended.

3. General upgrade wise, the model freshening was in 2008. As previosly posted, that added some sound insulation, changed the tail light and fog light look, increased the outside mirrors to be more functional but maybe a little less design oriented, changed the headrests some, added side assist radar stuff, and a few other things. I don't think any of this is a "do or die" at all; nice to have at best. Adaptive (head) lighting gets upgraded somewhat in sophistication over time if relevant; for a W12 that is 2006; not sure on others.

5. As far as electronics visible to the user, pre-mid 2005 the cars have the old OnStar system. Other than as a glowing light a la ET, it is now completely worthless/extinct. It was replaced by Bluetooth connectivity standard on all A8's from the cutover point forward. As of late 2007/all 2008 AMI (iPod/MP3) interface became standard. Some owners (including me) retrofit it to earlier ones; the interface is well done as they go. Rear camera came out with 2007's. 2006s had a pictoral interface showing proximity. It gets to be a more basic interface in the oldest ones. B&O sound appears as a big bucks option in 2007, but probably unlikely to find in cars you will look at and in your price/year range

6. You mention Navi a lot. It has always been there standard on a US A8. Yes, you can buy a new Navi disk for about $200. The maps really don't change much though over the years, at least where I live in the SF Bay Area. The more substantial updates occur in the MMI software that drives the system. If you go toward a 2007 or newer model (I think the FSI motor is the biggest worthwhile change, plus what I will say next), MMI will be sufficiently up to date.

7. Maybe I will provoke a bunch of debate, but 2004's were the teething year for the car. Lots of early service bulletins, tweaks, recalls on trunk and other things, etc. That continues into 2005. Manyt cars will have been updated for at least the recalls, but not all and probably far less than all for things that were only in technical service bulletins (TSB's) and not outright recalls. If you study the parts list and service bulletins there are lots of running changes in here for systems you won't otherwise fool with--radiators, air shocks, TPMS sensors, etc. Some tie to the grill change of course, maybe including the final radiator. By 2006 I think there is general consensus the mechanicals and electronics settled down, plus you get to the "bluetooth era." After that it is price, miles and exactly what you want that drives a decision. Your price range is high enough I bet you don't need to look at the earliest ones as your only option.

8. There aren't that many short bodies, and I don't believe as many as you think. Some years it wasn't even offered, and I think once the S8 came out in 2007, a lot of short bodies that are out there were sold as the S8. They were not offered in the US in 2004 or 2005, so if you net out the S8's from 2007-2009, I think it's a pretty small universe of 4.2 short bodies actually.

9. Wheels--18's were always baseline. Yes, in later ones you may find more 19's and 20's. This is the easiest upgrade though on the whole car and used ones sell on ebay, Audizine and Fourtitude (among other places). Thus, I would focus on other areas mentioned here first. For reference, the 20" sport wheels (twin spoke 7's, "new style RS4", forged, two tone in early years) first showed up as an option in 2007 on 4.2's as I recall in the sport package. Kind of random which used car you may find with which wheels, but higher end wheels tend to group with higher optioned cars of course.

10. As always, if you can squeeze into the 4/50 warranty window, you can get any issues on a used car fixed. That currently means no older than a mid year 2006.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all! Man, that's good stuff. You may have just saved me thousands through your various posts. Purchasing '07 may be my new goal, but wow I'm going to get nailed on that 75,000 mile service! Oh well...I'll keep you all posted and I'll be lurking on the boards to see if I can gleen some more wisdom...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tcheves
Thank you all! Man, that's good stuff. You may have just saved me thousands through your various posts. Purchasing '07 may be my new goal, but wow I'm going to get nailed on that 75,000 mile service! Oh well...I'll keep you all posted and I'll be lurking on the boards to see if I can gleen some more wisdom...
FWIW, my 2004 has 115,000 miles on the original timing belt. I recently pulled the covers off to inspect the belt and it still looks good. I know that I'm playing with fire. No time to do it myself and no money to pay a dealer to do it. (Tools would cost $500 from Zelenda and another $500 for parts). The Blau Parts kits offer tool rental for only $50 but many say that the Blau Parts components are not as good as OEM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Also interested in purchasing 07 A8

Hi I've also been interested in getting into the club and purchasing an 07 A8. Was not sure if 06 or 07 was the way to go but thanks to all you guys info in this post I'm settled on an 07. My last questions I'd probably need is warranty info.

1)It seems to be difficult to find the model/colors I want and it to come CPO, does anyone know a dollar value range that goes for? One dealership wanted to add over 2k to the price to have the car CPO done from their Audi chain.

2)If I buy one that is still under regular 50k/4yr warranty would I get an option from Audi to extend it to 100k/6yr?

If anyone has any helping answers or more tips I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, there are usually a couple 07 SWB on cars.com or autotrader.com for <$35k. The 07 SWB are more common in the low 30s than LWB which are closer to 40. The ones I see today are in the 50-60k range. You could get an 06 with fewer miles for the same money, but I think the FSI engine is worth it even if you have to get a higher mileage one. It should be a lot cheaper to have things serviced like the water pump and thermostat since it's not required to remove the timing belt and entire front end of the car/engine to get to them like it is on the pre-FSI. The FSI engine also accelerates quicker to 60 which would be nice in town.

I'd like to buy an A8L in the hopefully near future as well, I was originally planning for an 04, but am strongly leaning towards spending around 50% more for an 07 - if I'm able to find an 07 for only 50% more, that is.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

man, I wish I read this before buying my 2006 A8L just this week. I should have tossed a couple grand extra for a 2007 or paid the same for a bit higher mileage 2007. Doh!

There are some nice 2006 and 2007 A8's to be had around the NY, MI and CT and MA states area. Mine has 45,000 miles and the Volvo dealer that took it as a trade in was selling for $37,900.00 and I paid $31,200.00. I got them down to $34,500.00 but then had them deduct an additional $1000.00 off for the MMI screen that was going up and down but making a knocking gear noise at the top due to a faulty motor or something that operates it upo and down function. I have still not repaired it yet as I only had the car three days now. Also the day after I got it to Canada the Power trunk lid is not opening at all. It seems like the right side is lifting a tad bit higher than the left and it looks like it wants to lift but then gives up and closes again unless I gently help lift it after pressing the open button on the Key remote. I have to see what is wrong there too. Everything else is working perfectly for now... knock on wood..

I wish I would not have to manually re-connect my cell phone (Motorola Krazer)to th eAudi Bluetooth system each time I hop in the car. That is a major hassle. Am I doing something wrong?

Quick Reply: Looking into purchasing an 06ish A8. A few questions...